Question before buying macpro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Senate97, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Senate97 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the new MacPro 2010 model. I am just wondering if anyone actually connect their mp to a HD TV as their primary monitor?

I am thinking of doing that to my new 37" LED HD TV as my primary display monitor. But I can't seems to find any info about others doing it except those with mb, mbp & mba on youtube.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HD TV as computer monitor is not that great. Reason for this is the low PPI because your 37" is likely 1080p while 22"-24" monitors have that resolution so things will look blurry as they are not designed to be viewed on such low PPI display. Of course this all depends on the viewing distance but if you're planning to work on that 37" meaning that you're close to the display, it won't be nice. If the Mac Pro is going to be used as HTPC, then the case is different.

More information about your usage would be nice but honestly, TV is TV and monitor is monitor, they are meant for different purposes.

3. Senate97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply :)

The usage will be just normal web surfing, downloading of videos, doing pages/keynotes and Starcraft 2.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you sure that Mac Pro is the right computer for you? It sounds like an iMac would be better, hell, even Mini is sufficient! Mac Pro is an overkill for you IMO

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have a hdtv with a mac mini. you need to play with settings to be able to use the tv as a monitor. If you sit too far it is not that good. if you sit too close it is not that good. your 37 inch at best is 1900 by 1080 pixels (i am rounding) so 2 million dots are spread across a 37 inch screen to form a picture. a good 24 inch monitor is 1900 by 1200 pixels. so 2 million dots are used to form the picture on a 24 inch monitor. it is easy to see that the 24 inch will have more dots per square inch.

for movies not a big deal for print and reading a very big deal. but there is a solution a mac pro can drive 2 screens so get the mac pro and a smaller screen like this for surfing.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

also a mac pro is overkill but if you have the money it is a nice computer. the advantage is a one box solution with lots of storage and connections. I sold super moded mac minis on ebay for the last 2 years. a mac mini might do.

this is on sale at apple it will sell out fast but may be good enough for you. just add some ram. I have links for ram and how to put the ram in. (low cost and easy) let me know I will post the links for an instal video and the ram

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0H50LL/A?mco=MTg4MjQ1MjM

6. mangrove macrumors 6502

Basic premise=+1. Except on my 2010 Mini with 320M, I blow up (via keyboard Control + mouse zoom) websites, etc. and they are perfect to my eye on a 60" HDTV from 12' away. Of course, up close I prefer my 2560x1600 ZR30w and then I blow up pages/windows with Cmd and + key.

7. Senate97 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

OP should seriously consider the 27" iMac. The 27" screen is really amazing, will take care of your monitor issue. You could even spring for a SSD drive in the iMac and still pay less money than the Mac Pro. Mac Pro is great and powerful, but you pay an enormous sum for the expandability of the desktop machine. General computer use and gaming simply do not merit spending all that money on a Mac Pro.

Also, HDTV as monitor will not be good. Reading text and gaming will look like garbage. Watching movies will be o.k.