Question; Can Rogers (Canada) legally charge you to unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Inkllicious, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Inkllicious macrumors regular

Here's the.. "Story".
    I called Rogers to get my Iphone unlocked the legitimate apple itunes way (baseband too new, can't do it myself) and they wanted to charge me 50$ to do it (Bought this eons ago, 16GB 3G). I'm not within a contract with them at all (Phone is 3 years old, and the contract was 2/yr. I'm on month to month now. so, no contract) (Service or Phone) Its not like I'm canceling my plan early either, but they still want to charge me for "Phone Freedom" if I ever decided Telus was worth it..

Is there some sort of loophole I can pull just to get them to do it already?

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Check on the cellphone forums.. howardforums.com

But you have a 3G it should not be too difficult to do it yourself. Actually would be much less painfull

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wont do it for free, so its up to you.
    You either pay them or you can JB and unlock it yourself.

4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I would recommend JB and then doing it yourself. Rogers doesn't deserve an extra $50.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't know about legality, but I would jump on it in a flash. The unlock they are charging you for is permanent. In case you didn't understand that, it means you never, ever have to worry about your bb or losing your unlock because you screwed up on ios installation.
    But that's just me.

ETA: Granted, you're on a 3G, so I can understand your reticence. At least you have the option to go with the ipad bb, if you don't want to pay for it.

6. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Given that the phones pretty old, I would probably save the money and unlock the phone myself. However, as you mentioned, if the BB is too new and it doesn't have an old bootrom, go ahead an unlock it through Rogers. It's obviously way more legitimate to get an official unlock and never having to worry about losing your unlock.

7. Mac-Rumours macrumors regular

+1 paying to unlock. Unless you have to have the phone jailbroken or enjoy making custom firmwares, not having GPS, and having a buggy phone.

Perhaps you could point out you've been a loyal paying customer for so long and see if they'll waive the charge?

8. Inkllicious thread starter macrumors regular

I see where you're going with that.

Will attempt to today; I hate rogers customer service. :l

9. Inkllicious thread starter macrumors regular

Answer was "Nope".

Oh well; Just looks like I'll be buying an Iphone 4 (/5?) with Telus soon.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP, before you do anything, what firmware and baseband you have on your phone? you did not indicate this info on your original post. So, if the baseband is 05.13 or below, it is an easy task for you to unlock it.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would try calling back every other day and see if you'll get a rep who will do it for free. They probably can legally charge you though. But just see if it works. If you plan on selling it, you probably can get much more for an officially unlocked cellphone. if you have no plans to do anything with it right now, then dont unlock it yet.

12. Inkllicious thread starter macrumors regular

Both baseband and bootloader are too new. I don't have the phone handy to check, as its in the kitchen charging but I've tried the fuzzyband route already-

as another poster said, value-- I think an Ipad baseband would degrade its value a bit.

That sounds exhausting but perhaps worth it. Then again rogers logs all calls, They might just put a note within my file stating I'm trying to get a free unlock by calling each day. :l