QUESTION: CTO/BTO MBP Models

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dwalls90, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

After Apple starts shipping CTO/BTO models to those that purchase/configure them online, will there be more variations in retail store locations? (After Wednesday). I've never 'studied' this in the past so am wondering from those of you that have purchased CTO/BTO models. As of now, all that is in-store are (for 15"):

2.0Ghz i7
    2.2Ghz i7
    2.3Ghz i7 (w/ matte hi-res display)

I'm hoping they start carrying more variations!

2. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

I know my retail store only carries the base models, with variations in processor speed. I believe some carry higher resolution displays, but not models with SSDs or anything.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Retail stores do not carry many BTO/CTO configurations because those configurations are custom.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Only baseline models. Some larger stores may have Macs with faster CPU clocks. However, as per RAM, the upgrade is offered at the time of sale. HDD upgrade is not offered though.

With the advent of higher resolutions models some stores do carry those in limited quantities.

5. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Right, I understand they only carry base models, and with this revision there is only one CPU variation (2.3Ghz), and they carry it.

SSD's/HDD and RAM can be installed by a genius at your request, so this isn't really a BTO/CTO item.

Obviously, I was wondering if with the last refresh, if they typically trickle in a few "rare" BTO/CTO models to encourage people to buy on the spot ... in marketing, the ease of purchase/availability is a large factor of the consumer purchase decision process! Though Apple seems to do well on their own regardless ...

6. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Thanks for that ... any statistics or more concrete info than that? I plan on calling on wed/thurs to see if they have any CTO/BTO MBP in stock (since that's the first estimated CTO/BTO arrival date), but I was wondering in the past how Apple handles this.

7. vipergts831 macrumors newbie

I can tell you this much. The big store here in NYC on 5th av only carries stock MBP. I was surprised. I would have expected them being the largest to carry BTO but they dont.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They usually have only the stock configurations and one fully upgraded one, I don't believe you'll see anything new at the stores, as it would be expensive to keep so many different variations in stock. Why not just buy online?

9. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Tax savings. Instant gratification.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're looking for a custom configuration at a retail store, you would have to look at other stores; I picked up my desktop from B&H and they had a selection of machines that were not standard channel configurations.