question for alu macbook users

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by soulreaper, Nov 27, 2008.

1. soulreaper macrumors newbie

soulreaper

got a question for those aluminium macbook users out there...
    since the new macbook was build using aluminium, would the heat emitted from the processors and HDD be felt when the macbook is put for instance on our lap?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My Mac runs very cool. No heat burning my lap.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would say this is the coolest running aluminum notebook Apple has tossed out. It ran very cool all throughout a movie that was nearly two hours long that was running off the optical drive.

4. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I bought this unibody Macbook specifically because it generates less heat than other notebooks. It is very comfortable in the lap. For standard web browsing and email it runs very luke warm.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

My MB runs considerably cooler than my late 2007 MBP.

6. bregetabond macrumors newbie

bregetabond

Generally my macbook stays cool, although warms up after a while!

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

but by no means is it only for those uses, it can handle pretty much any pro app you throw at it, especially with 4gb ram

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

For me, my Al-MB stays cool (not even warm) when using: email, web, microsoft office, burning cd/dvd, iTunes, iPhoto.

It becomes warm only for apps that require constant, ongoing cpu/hard drive activity: steaming long movies off the internet, ripping movies with handbrake, converting movie format.

But overall, I agree with everyone else, the new generation of MB runs so much cooler than all previous versions. I don't think it is just the Al, because my old Powerbook was burning hot. If you are looking for a literately 'cool' laptop, this is it. I believe same goes for the newest MBP and MBA.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah, I gotta agree with everyone else - my macbook stays pretty cool.

I mean, I imagine Apple leverages the fact that the whole thing is aluminum (a great heat conductor) to diffuse and sink a lot of the heat.

10. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Forced myself not to load up youtube at all this morning and have been using the computer in my lap. I can confirm it is indeed cool to the touch under basic use. Seems like it only gets luke warm if I start watching youtube videos, but even then it's a very mild comfortable warmth. The best thing about it is that the exhaust is out along the entire back where the display hinges to the frame. On my Sony the exhaust is out of this small area on the left side jammed beside the ports. Your left hand gets warm/hot because of the hot air coming out the exhaust on most non apple notebooks. On the Macbook the entire palm rest and the left and right front sides are cool to the touch.

11. gtNY macrumors newbie

It does get warm but not to the point of being uncomfortable. It actually surprised me, it runs rather cool for being made of metal.

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Stays very cool and I never heard the fan roar, I actually never heard it unless I stick my ear on the computer.

Actually aluminium makes the laptop colder in general. The whole laptop becomes a heatsink. Since aluminium transmits heat well, the heat is dissipated all over the computer and doesn't stick at one spot, to a certain extent. You can still tell where the processor is (upper left corner) but it's more dissipated then on a plastic computer.

I guess I just said the computer wicks a large quantity of heat through the bottom so it should be hotter on your lap... But in my experience, laptops are mostly hot just where the cpu is (and sometimes a fan is stuck under there), most of the time, that's where it hits your lap (sitting down, I rarely put it flat on my lap) heating it only at that spot.

Also the battery and hdd are under the palm rest, so quite far away from the cpu and covered is by aluminium.

The ventilation is great on this thing, heat going straight up the screen rather than under or on the sides of the computer (I think the plastic MBs vented out the back). Stupid in both cases, hot air rises so a part of the heat is transferred back in the case and on the sides it ends up heating your hands and not getting pushed all that much away from the computer.

One things I had noticed with the powermac g4 is that the top of the computer (palm rests and keyboard) would get scorching hot under heavy use, mind you maybe that was just another hdd technology but the top never gets really hot. Maybe the chiclet keyboard has a bit to do with that, or just the ventilation.

Anyways, I rambled off quite a bit. All that to say that the computer doesn't get very warm on my lap even when running tons of stuff, including moderate snyth based garage band sessions.

On a side note, when it's really cold outside and you take your computer out of your bag, it's absolutely frozen for a while.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

14. valiechemicalie macrumors member