question for older (40 and up) iphone users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glocke12, Jun 16, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Its open to anyone really I guess.

When the iphone first came out I really didnt have any issues with the seeing things on the screen, but over the past 6 months to a year Ive noticed my eyesight deteriorating enough that what was once easy for me to see on the iphone screen is now more difficult.

Anyone else having this problem ?

Im actually thinking that the EVO may be a better choice for me for this very reason because of the larger screen size.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Err that's age and not the phone? I don't see how using another phone with a slightly larger screen will fix that but alright.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Shouldn't the higher resolution and higher pixel density help you? Things will be the same size but a lot lot sharper.

I guess take a look at the Evo and the iPhone 4 in the store when it comes out and decide.

4. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I say this as someone well over 40, and I mean well over 40...

At this age the more we look at computer screens and like the more our prescription changes. Unfortunately I spend my days looking at computer screens. Get your prescription updated and all will be fine. I moved to progressive lenses this year and all is good once again.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

My eyesight has been getting worse over the years...in my mid 40's now. I actually took my iPhone into the eye docs with me the last time I got glasses and we used that at a comfortable reading position when testing my prescription strength. Usually, I either wear dedicated reading glasses when using a PC for extended periods, or my distance-glasses for normal everyday use. The distance-glasses were making the iPhone text blurry and hard to read so I'd "cheat" by looking under the lenses to get a good view of the iPhone or even flip them up onto my head and just use the phone minus glasses.

The end result of all this...you guessed it. Bifocals. If you keep using your eyes minus glasses for close-up work and glasses for distance work, it will begin to put a greater strain on your eyes as the years go by. Suck up the vanity and just move to bifocals.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say your eyesight is deteriorating, glocke, are you talking about macular degeneration or cataracts (or...), or are you talking about needing reading glasses?

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No my eye site has been fine. You should up your vegetable intake, leafy greens and carrots are good for your eyes. Don't flame me I am just trying to help.

8. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I did have that problem for awhile but it turns out I was diabetic. Got meds, gave up caffeine and high fructose corn syrup and eye sight is better. I would mention it to your doctor next time you are there.

9. jtara macrumors 65816

See your optometrist. He'll explain it all to you and show you some nice, expensive progressive lenses...

Alternately, if you wear contacts (or even if you currently don't) you can get contact lenses (or lens, if you don't need distance correction) with a "monovision" prescription. One eye is for distance, one is for near, and most people will adapt.

I have both. (Monovision contacts, and progressives. Well, and progressive sunglasses, as well...)

Wikipedia article on Presbyopia

Most likely cause at your age, but you need to see a professional to be sure.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I LOVE that I'm to young for this thread. :p

I've always had VERY good vision. But my dad had to get glasses somewhere around mid-40s IIRC. So I've been told to expect the same.

38 now....so I guess my iPhone will be good for a bit longer. Hoping to keep my 20/15 vision as long as possible. :cool:

11. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

If I have a physiological problem with my eyes Im not aware of it. Just saw the eye doctor last fall and aside from a minor RX update all was good.

I guess Im talking about possible needing reading glasses. I do wear glasses for distance, but Ive noticed over the past year Ive had to start increasing the font size on a computer to make things easier to read....guess that means reading glasses ?

12. Pochi Hanaki macrumors regular

Yea it seems the screen is getting harder to read. The iPad is looking nicer as the font size can be so much larger.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Usually, the giveaway clue that people need reading glasses is that they start holding things they read farther and farther from their face... like if you've ever seen someone stare at a menu or their phone and then hold it at arms length away to read it... that's usually a strong clue.

My eye doctor interestingly told me that I should expect my vision (I'm 35 and I have myopia) for distance to improve slightly, that is my prescription to get a little weaker, as I start to need reading glasses. But for the time being that's still off in the future. :)

Take a look at this for more about what's going on with needing reading glasses:

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/presbyopia.php

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Start carrying two iPhones. One as your primary device and the other simply to run iMagnify and hold it above the other phone.

Problem SOLVED!!

15. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Dude.... It's a Retina Display! Of course everything will be fine. ;)

16. M87 macrumors 65816

I'm only 23, but I'm legally blind. I don't have much problem using the iPhone as long as I hold it close enough and when I do have a problem it has the best accessibility features of any smart phone. iOS 4 has the ability to increase the font in mail, messaging and contacts which is a big help. The accessibility features on the iPhone for users with low vision are unmatched.

17. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I would have this problem, and the need for reading glasses... if I wasn't so incredibly nearsighted that I routinely take my glasses off and hold the iPhone a hand-width away from my face to read it. I'm looking forward to the iPhone 4. :)

Now, if I put my contact lenses in, I still have to use reading glasses overtop, and then it becomes harder to read.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

True, the Retina Display is going to save the world! :D

19. traveller09 macrumors member

Sounds like you need reading glasses. I have 20/15 vision and I can see a road sign a 1/2 mile down the road but I can't clearly see letters right in front of my face. For me it wouldn't mater what phone it was, the print is small and I can't read the little screen without my reading glasses, I even need them for my iPad. For all you 20 year olds, enjoy it while it last your day is coming. ;)

20. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    iPhone print is too small period! I thought that iOS4 was supposed to offer larger fonts in Notes and other programs.

Android print is small for most programs too.

Blackberry font is adjustable and varied.

On this one Blackberries win.:eek:

21. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

Glasses

Sounds like you need some reading glasses!! Go to the dollar store and get a pair....a number 1 will do it....it will help trust me!!

22. nontechie99 macrumors member

Thank you so much for this info! And I'm VERY glad to hear of the changes you write about. I was hoping just for that.

I have always had fabulous vision, and then, 45 ...

The second I saw the title of the thread, I knew exactly what it would be about. Nice to know I'm not alone.

23. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

Same here. Seeing anything more than 2 feet away and I'm solid - anything closer and I'm Mr. Magoo. Finally broke down and bought a couple of pairs of readers, as my arms aren't going to get any longer. My wife thinks it's hilarious, since she's 8 years younger than I am. Yeah, it's a scream.

Getting old sucks.

24. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

My wife just got trifocals... She has no problem with her iPhone now. It seems my eyes are slowly going as well.

25. Sean006 macrumors 6502

I thought the new iPhone was suppose to have adjustable fonts ?

Can anyone confirm ?