Question for People Who Upgrade Their MBP Every Year

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xfs, Jul 14, 2012.

1. xfs macrumors member

So, I am on a MBPr 2.3 base model with 8GB. I am really thinking if I should go for 2.6/16gb version because of some limitations in PS CS6. My question is for people who upgrade every year. How big of a hit in terms of Resale value (depreciation) should I expect to see if:
    1. I sell my 2.3/8GB base model next year
    2. I sell my 2.6/16GB model next year

Of course for a question like this, there is no right or wrong answer. But I wanted to ask from people who like to upgrade yearly based on their previous experiences.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank You.

2. funnyatleast macrumors member

i always get the base 13 and NEVER take a hit.
    I usually sell for 950 and buy for 950 (student discount+sell GC+discover cash back + cash back for birthday month)

3. xfs thread starter macrumors member

Is this cash back for birthday month related to Apple?

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Yeah, didn't you know Apple gives you cash for your birthday!

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Usually the higher the price, the faster the value depreciates. I think they will both take a significant hit resale wise within a year compared to lets say the new MBA. Apple may likely reduce the price of the retina model next year which will further hurt the resale value. You will definitely get a higher resale value for the base compared to the upgraded. Preferably, you should get the base model with 16gb ram. Right now I think that's the most popular configuration and will definitely help the resale value.

6. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I would get the base model unless you're doing a ton of Ps work like me. In any case, I upgrade every year and tend to lose about $300-400 on the high end 17" MBP. With the base unit I think $300 is about right.

Only exception is when they discontinue things - for example my 2.5ghz MBP 17" Late 2011 - ended up losing more like $600 - but I only needed $350 to upgrade to the MBPr so I guess it's not too bad.

7. Panini macrumors regular

^

Does it go by a percentage of the original price or is the rate of decay also larger for more expensive models?

i.e
    $1000 -> 500
    $2000 -> 1000

vs

$1000 -> 500
    $2000 -> 750

Because I hear that anything above the base model (better processor, storage, ram, etc.) will lose 90% of its value at resale and may only help with selling the item - but not for a higher price.

Is this true?

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I'd say so. Usually any upgrades above the base model tend to lose their value considerably and only help with the sale but not the price. But, for the rMBP, seeing the ram can't be upgraded, I'd say that the base model with 16gb Ram will be the most popular model and will likely sell at a higher resale % compared to the base. 16GB base models on eBay right now are going upward of $2800 only because it's a 3-4 week wait, while the base models are selling for less than retail already.

9. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I would say if you buy a base model for $2200 (people usually don't care if you pay tax - they just take the msrp price as how much you paid) now you can expect $1800-$1900 when you resell. $1800 would be a lot more realistic and a "quick" sale. If you had the 16gb of RAM you can add $100 to the sale price and it'll be a quick sale. So I'd say $1900 + $100 = $2000 is a quick sale for a base unit with upgraded ram.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I order fully upgraded (some call them ultimate) BTO MBP's each year when they are refreshed. The nature of my work requires the greatest resources available, and my personal preference is to have a minimum of one new MBP each year.

Resale? I have no clue. I don't sell mine. I keep it as a backup, then the following year as I put the outgoing laptop into the backup position, I give the prior backup to a family member or friend, or I donate it.

There's a lot of deserving people that cannot afford laptops that cost three to four thousand dollars. I enjoy giving them away.

11. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I need a backup laptop - can you send one my way? ;D haha that's so nice of you to be passing them along to friends and family members though. I would do so too if I didn't need to fund the next one with the resell of the previous.

12. Panini macrumors regular

What about a $2799 model with 16GB ram for $2999? I'm approximating $2499 for that. Is that reasonable?

13. unibility macrumors 6502

14. dank414 macrumors member

That's one of the smartest plans I've heard of. Nice one.

15. RH5 macrumors newbie

when you guys say you lose about $300 dollars or so in resale value what exactly does that mean? do you resell it to a retail store (i.e. trade in at best buy) or is that selling online to a person?

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I always sell on Craigslist. Stores won't give you nearly as much.

17. mohsy90, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Meaning lets say they purchased the base MBP for $1199, and say a year later they sell it for $900. That's considered losing $300 on resale. Most people reselling are either using eBay, craigslist or some other website. Trade ins at best buy are a complete rip off.

18. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Actually, that's considered losing $400 on resale.

:p

19. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Lol, brain fart!!!

20. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go for the base. I don't have a MacBook Pro, but lately I've been "accidentally" updating my MacBook Air regularly. :D

I tend to get the high-end models, and they take a beating. I bought a top-of-the-line i7 Air last year for $1649 (before tax). I sold it a month ago for $1100 (before eBay fees, netting about $1000). Had I purchased the perfectly adequate i5 model last year for $150 less, I'd guess that I'd have gotten about $50 less.

Of course, I got the i7 again this year. :eek: If Apple comes out with a Retina MBA next year, I'll try to settle for the i5 version.

The thing to remember is that the base model has the lowest profit margin for Apple. A year or two later, no one cares whether it's an old i5 vs. an old i7 (or an old 2.6GHz vs. an old 2.7GHz). The operative word here is "old."

21. xfs thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for your responses, i hope more people add to the conversation.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Base model, unless you absolutely need more or can moniterize the difference in performance which with the present rMBP is negligible at best;

A performance increase of 9.92% average is all your going to get with the 2.7, which makes for little or any noticeable difference in day to day use. Those "pegging" their CPU`s; working with video, audio, imagery for a living are the ones who will see a benefit, as in general time for them is money.

My own base 2.3 benchmarks with Geek Test over 11K consistently (32bit), 8% slower than the 2.7

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

The main attraction of the 2.6 & 2.7 is the additional storage for those on the move preferring non external solutions. The 2.3 base looks to be the champion for battery life which will also be a very strong consideration for many.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If at all possible, it's best to sell the old one just before the new one is announced. Of course that only works if you have more than one computer and can call another one into service.

I'm honestly not expecting anything next year that will "force" me to upgrade. 10 or 15% faster processor or slightly better battery life won't do it.

----------

And the huge cost of the additional storage is something you can almost count on not getting back because the price of SSD storage should drop dramatically in the next year.

24. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, I always follow the rumors and usually when I know for sure that a refresh is coming and it's been confirmed by Macrumors and 9to5mac by credible sources I sell my previous MBP. Not everyone follows rumors so you'll likely find a buyer on eBay that will pay the best price not knowing a new one is coming out.

I usually settle for the base model instead of maxing out and trying to "proof" my computer for 3-5 years. This way I get the latest product with upgraded specs and new battery!!

25. funnyatleast macrumors member

no it is from my discover credit card. I think I got an extra 2% for birthday month+%2 for fathers day on a certain amont of the purchase, so i got an extra 11 bucks.