Question on External Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MediaRyan, Dec 26, 2007.

1. MediaRyan macrumors member

I am a convert in progress. I've owned a PC since forever, but I use Macs at work and have learned Final Cut Studio so I want to stick with it for personal projects.

I intend to purchase a MBP hopefully after the next big update and need to be sure of a couple of things.

1) Can a MBP be closed and still run to an external monitor?
    2) Can an external keyboard & mouse be used easily?

The main thing I'm interested in knowing is how long it would take to make a setup like this work on a day to day basis as a student on the go. Is it something that would take a few minutes everytime to get particular settings switched or would it be fairly close to plug and play?

I would love to have a potent laptop that can double as a powerful computer for working at home so that everything I do is run and contained on one system.

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

No, I am pretty sure this is not possible: the MBP goes into sleep mode.

I place mine on an angled stand and use the MBP monitor as a second monitor in either mirror mode or extended desktop.

Yes -- I use both a wireless keyboard and mouse and a wired keyboard and mouse. It is effortless Plug and Play.

3. Ronaldinho macrumors newbie

Ronaldinho

4. Nydator macrumors member

The only downside of using an external keyboard and mouse is that the MacBook Pro has only two USB ports - so you need either to use a hub or go wireless with the mouse and keyboard. I use wireless and have found them very convenient and easy to use - they connect within a few seconds of switching on.

5. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Yes, it is possible to use an external display while the lid is closed.

You don't need to go wireless. I use a new Mac Aluminum keyboard and my trusty $15 microsoft mouse (lol, i've grown use to it that other mice feel awkward...and the mighty mouse just hurts after an hour).

MOUSE ---> KEYBOARD ---> MONITOR ---> MacBook Pro.

only ends up using one USB port on the MBP, leaving the other one for whatever. I even have another port on the monitor and one on the keyboard for whatever I need. (monitor also for ipod, external [powered] HDD to keyboard).

6. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

Yes you can use it with the lid closed.

Clearly to do this you will need and external keyboard and mouse anyway. I have the apple wireless keyboard and mouse, neither of which use a usb port.

BTW, you can also wake the computer from sleep using the Front Row remote controller. I do this when I am just watching a DVD on my external monitor: put in the DVD, close the lid, wake from sleep using the remote control... from there you can either sit back and watch your movie, or start using your laptop normally...

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

2. Yes, as long as it is a USB keyboard and mouse. Just plug them in.

1. Yes, if you have an external mouse and keyboard plugged in. Without the external keyboard it just goes to sleep (because it knows you can't type anyway), but with an external keyboard attached it knows something is different and will run an external monitor instead.

(But why waste the additional screen? You can leave the MBP open and use external monitor and the built-in screen at the same time. You might want some stand to have both screens at the same height).

8. DaLurker macrumors 6502

With regards to your second question, it takes mere seconds to get things working. Just plug your keyboard, mouse and monitor in and you are good to go. I do this everyday as i use my mbp at home and at work and its great!