Question on Unlocking Iphone 4S (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBowling, Jan 10, 2014.

1. CBowling macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

So, my grandfather bought an Iphone 4S (with contract) about 4-5 months ago. However, the phone was too complicated for him so he requested a normal flip phone. This, however, didn't cancel the contract for the Iphone.

Either way, he gave me the Iphone to unlock (I study in the UK, so I'm not in the states most of the time), but when I went through the AT&T Unlock process, the request was denied because the phone had until 2015 before the contract would expire. The lady I talked to at the time said there was no way around it and it would have to wait until 2015.

However, this conversation was before my grandfather passed away about three days ago (his heath declined fairly rapidly from the first time I talked to AT&T about 2 weeks ago). We closed out his accounts with AT&T, and I am wondering if I should try again to see if I can get an official unlock from them?

And, if I am turned down by them, where should I go or what should I do? I've seen people mention swiftunlocks.com, but I don't see any option for an AT&T Iphone on there. Also, I know there are a great many sites that are scams.

I've seen the sticky here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1398957&highlight=at&t+iphone+4s+unlock

Most of those ebay listings no longer seem available, or else I might have looked into that option a bit more.

Either way, thank you for any help you can provide. Like I said, I originally called and submitted a request to AT&T to unlock the 4S before my grandfather passed away (Request sent 2 weeks ago, he passed three days ago), so I wasn't sure if it would be worth me doing the request through them again now that we closed out his accounts and such.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best,
    CB

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If the account was canceled, then that means the contract has ended via ETF. Your iPhone 4S should be eligible to unlock via AT&T now.

3. CBowling thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response. I'll try using the unlock service again. I haven't really been on top of it since the initial denial due to his declining health, but now that he has passed and the affairs have been taken care of, I guess it's just another thing to do.

Again, thank you for the quick response!