Question regarding Apple returns & exchange policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pHeNom, May 21, 2012.

1. pHeNom macrumors regular

Frequent lurker and I RARELY post, but I figured this is the 2nd best place to ask this question.

Mods im sorry if im posting this in the wrong place but I looked around and couldn't find a suitable one to post on other than this. Plus question is somehow related to me buying a new MBP so hopefully that counts. :D

So my question is..

regarding apple's return and exchange policy. I know pretty much about the 30 days returns policy but I want to know more about their policy regarding returns after buying a new mac but after a certain XX number of days a NEWER model drops.

For example I buy a new MBP on June 4 and "suddenly" newer models go on sale on the 18th will I be able to return my older version MBP in exchange for a new one? Do I have to give them restocking fees?

I'm asking this because I went to get my MBP fixed a few months ago and one of the associates I talked to I told him I was interested in buying a new one but I was scared when a new model drops itll have better features but he told me they would accept an exchange if a newer model does come out within 14 days of buying a mac.

Any positive feedback is more than welcome!

Negative ones you can keep it to yourself! :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not 30 days. It's 14. This should answer all your questions:

Returns & Refunds - Apple Store (U.S.)

3. theBostonian Suspended

i think it depends largely on the individual apple stores and reps you deal with.

the 14 day thing isn't set in stone, it is in their Ts&Cs but i've heard of people (on these forums and others) who purchased a mac and then 20 days later or whatever a new one came out. they were allowed to exchange them for the newer model.

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I'd assume the 14 day policy to be safe. There is no guarantee anyone will honor past that and they do not have to.

Just wait until later in June - it's a pretty sure thing that new ones will come out then.

5. pHeNom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

It's just a matter of me being really impatient! lol

How about I just buy a new MBP next week and exchange it when the new ones come out. I wonder if apple will catch on. :/

6. whdigital macrumors regular

I think we're in a similar boat... Interested in latest and greatest, but I had totally settled on the Oct. 11 15" with specific features and found it in the Refurbed list. I am excited about the new models, but VERY concerned about the potential of other things taken away in this size laptop (i.e. SuperDrive, ethernet).

I am hedging my bets, so this morning I pulled the trigger on the Refurb unit and set it for in-store pickup as this seems to delay the expected delivery by a couple of days (as of today it's June 7), then what I'll do is stall a day or two in actually picking it up (as hard as that will be to do!). The return period starts from the time you take delivery...

I figure I'll get it in hand the weekend before WWDC and we'll know if the new ones are "all that" well within my 14 day period. If my fears are true about the new ones, I'll keep what I have and not look back knowing that they will probably just get harder to find in the Refurb list. If the new models are perfect, I'll trade up without any problem.... If new models are not actually announced, I'll keep what I have happily as I need to be using this machine by mid-June for a project. :)

7. pHeNom thread starter macrumors regular

^ nice plan!

I'm not really concerned about losing the Ethernet & Optical drive because it's been years since I used an Ethernet cord and I can just buy an external one

The only real reason I wanna do the exchange/return thing is I'm itching for a new Mac but like you said we want the latest & greatest lol. #macuserproblems

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

So you want responses, but only if people are giving you positive feedback about your plan, huh? :rolleyes: With whdigital's plan it's not quite as big of a deal, because he/she is purchasing a refurb already. It sounds like you'd be purchasing new, which means Apple will then have to sell that unit as a refurb...all because you couldn't be patient. Yes, you can do it, and yes, you'll likely not have a problem returning it, but is it really that hard to wait a couple weeks until you know for sure what you want?

Either way, keep in mind, if you buy one now and then it gets damaged (dropped, dented, liquid spilled on it, etc.) before the new ones are out, you'll be stuck with it. You can't return it if it's been damaged in any way. Just something to think about.

9. whdigital macrumors regular

Just to be clear in my intentions - because there is another thread where someone is talking about ways to get and return multiples until the new models come out, and I don't agree with that approach at all!

I am 95% certain that I will not want the newer model given all that we think we know about it. My needs are specific and the current 2.4 with HiRes AntiGlare will be perfect. If the new ones come out and keep the SuperDrive & Firewire (and Ethernet, although I could live without that as I'll connect to a TB display a lot), then I'll likely trade it. Otherwise, I was beginning to get worried that the Refurb I wanted would become more scarce as there are others thinking like me.

If I didn't absolutely love the 2011 models and NEED that functionality for a project beginning mid-June, I would probably wait. If nothing else, I'll probably be really happy with this refurb (Once I jack up the RAM and replace the HD with Hybrid!) for a long time. I'll get a higher res retina based 13" for better portability later when they are out. :D

10. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

Tip: The 2011 refurbished units will not go scarce. Apple still sells Macbook Pro's 6.1/6.2/7.1 which were originally released in April 2010.

I don't want the newer Macbook's thus why I ordered the unit in my signature last friday.

11. ivanpk macrumors regular

I have a similar situation and I found the perfect 15inch model in refurb and now it's gone! :( nooooo

12. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

Use these sites to keep track of the Apple refurb store; I recommend the latter.

Code:
    http://www.refurb-store.com/en/

http://www.refurb.me/us/

13. whdigital macrumors regular

Hope I wasn't the culprit, I just made the pirchase this morning!

14. ivanpk macrumors regular

Was it the 2.2 antiglare? I had it in my cart yesterday but waited because I still want to wait for the new models...now I'm thinking I should've bought it!

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Give it some time, and chances are another one will show up. Just make sure you check regularly, as some models do tend to sell quickly when they show up.

16. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

If you buy from BestBuy you have 30 days to return it for a full refund.

I heard that the local Apple store charges a restocking fee for Macbooks.

17. pHeNom thread starter macrumors regular

I take care of my stuff so I'm not worried.

----------

Gonna check with my local apple store. Thanks for the heads up.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Have you spent any time in the forums here? Can't tell you how many people save said, "I take really good care of my stuff, but I accidentally dropped my MBP and it's dented." Or the screen cracked. Or a little brother/friend/relative spilled water/soda/oil etc. on it. Accidents happen. If an accident happens while you're in the midst of your plan, you'll not only have a computer that's damaged and no longer under warranty, but you'll have a computer that you might not really want to keep and you'll have no hope of returning it.

And if you go through with this, please don't ever complain that Apple's stuff (or electronics in general) are too expensive. You're contributing to that problem.

19. whdigital macrumors regular

2.4 antiglare...

20. trikky macrumors regular

No, you shouldn't attempt to get free rental of a computer until the new ones are released. That would be an abuse of the return policy.

If you don't need a new computer now, don't buy a new computer now. JUst wait until the new ones are released. Clearly you don't need the latest and greatest, so you could save hundreds of dollars by doing what I did in 2011 - when the new ones were released, I bought the recently superseded model from the refurb store and a fantastic savings (and got a bonus 4GB RAM to boot!)

If you do need the latest and greatest though, then it's simply a matter of waiting to make your purchase. The new ones will be released eventually, and based on the posts here will most certainly have 5TB SDD, 22" touch screens, 32GB RAM and unmarkable aluminium cases.

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Those things come and go with great regularity. Keep waiting for the new models. Even if you don't get one the refurb you want will be cheaper once the new models hit.

22. ivanpk macrumors regular

Yep, that's why I didn't buy it before. Thanks for the advice! :)

23. pHeNom thread starter macrumors regular

lol I never complain about apples prices. I don't mind paying for quality. Oh other peoples accidents isn't my problem. Trust me. I take car of my stuff!

----------

eh based on some post around here I'm not the only one doing it. Oh well

And the last one I LOLEd! Hahaha

24. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Applecare won't protect you against accidents like spills and drops.

25. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Exactly. If the OP has one of the accidents I mentioned, Applecare won't cover it, and in fact it would probably make his warranty void. People always say "It won't happen to me." Then it does. Just warning the OP that if something happens to it, he won't be able to return it.