Question regarding my new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by serverplads, Mar 17, 2008.

1. serverplads macrumors member

Hi there!

I just got my new mac pro a couple of days ago and just have a couple of questions!

First, isn’t there supposed to be printed a memory guide on how you install memory on the inside of the cover you take off? I have seen that on some images, but it’s not on mine!

Second, it makes a loud noise when it starts up and when it wakes from sleep! (I got an answer to this in another threat saying that its normal)

Third, It wasn’t delivered with 10.5.2 but only 10.5.1

Have they given me an older version?

Anyway, sorry for asking such lame questions!

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes. Many proper desktops which are relatively low-noise in operation do it - Upper-end / gaming Dells, HP's and even as you have now experienced, Apples. It's a diagnostic thing and also helps flush dust out of the system as it boots up, which can build up in slow-spinning-fan, low-airflow computers.

Pros have an etched guide on the lid, that's all. Refer to system documentation for full instructions.

OS revisions aren't that important, but the fitout should be current.

3. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply! Regarding the guide on the lid! I saw some images where there were like 3-4 steps on how to install more memory etched on the lid. Mine just says to look in the documentation. Not that it really matters; it’s just strange that mine doesn’t have that?

Also, the USB/Firewire ports on the front seem very loose when you plug something in?

What do you mean by the fit out should be current? That it’s the newest one I have?

4. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

1. No memory installation guide etched on my side panel either

2. What do you mean by 'loud noise'? I hear the fans spin up, but it only lasts about 2 seconds. Like you've been told, it's normal.

3. Mine came with 10.5.1 also. Just run the updates (10.5.2 + Leopard Graphics Update) and you're good to go.

5. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

1. No instruction on panel.

2. Fans whirl at start up...just lets me know all is well and more importantly...THEY WORK!

3. With this beast, downloading updates are super fast. Downloading to 10.5.2 was not a problem.

6. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Hi again

I talked to a couple of Apple guys regarding the fan spin up when the computer starts and they both said that it must be something wrong with the hardware and that its a known error!
    Anyway they want to replace it with a new one, but now i can’t decide if i want to replace it or not? I dont want to be without my new machine for weeks! Also, if you people says it's normal that it makes that sound, its kinda waste of time to send it back, just to get another one which also makes that noise!
    What should i do, I’m so confused...!

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Exactly what 'Apple guys' are you talking to?

8. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

9. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Attached is a pic of the inside of the door on my Pro (please excuse the webcam pic ;))

The fans also spin up for about 2 seconds during the first part of the boot process, but, I'm thinking this is by design. Once booted the fans are all around 600rpm, they don't really go up by much even when it's working hard

My Mac Pro came with 10.5.1, but thats a non issue, only took a few minutes to update :)

Attached Files:

10. rtrt, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

rtrt macrumors 6502a

11. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for the image! The reason i asked is because the others i have seen have this one:

[​IMG]

Anyway, what do you think i should do! Should i get i replaced, or should i just keep it and be happy? (referring to the fan noise here)

Thanks

12. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Sounds like your machine is functioning perfectly normally, so I'd keep it :)

13. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

There is nothing wrong with your Mac Pro. The Apple tech is wrong. When I restart my Mac Pro - or start it for the first time, the fans spin up briefly. This is normal! In the absence of an OS to regulate the fans, they go to max speed. This is to protect the CPU and GPU. During startup and reboot, there is a breif period where the Mac Pro cannot monitor the temp and adjust the fan speed - so they go to full.

I guarantee every Mac Pro you recieve will do this.

Just enjoy you new mac pro!!!

14. rtrt, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

rtrt macrumors 6502a

15. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Once again, thanks for all your kind reply's..!

Ye, i think i will just keep it as it is! Can't do without for weeks,....It's such a nice machine :)

It doesn't spin-up on reboot! It is only on start and wake from sleep! Sorry to keep on going with this, I'm just frustrated! Another thing while I'm at it :) ! I know i have asked about this before, but i think the Superdrive is really noisy as well! Can't really watch any DVD movies, as i can't hear the sound from the movie because of the noise from the Superdrive! But i guess that's what u get when the drive is so fast..!

Once again thanks :)

16. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

....me again!

Just one more thing! The time of the fan going full speed at start up is 7 sec. Is that around the same time as yours?

Sorry to continue on this issue..

Thanks

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

~7.5 seconds. It's not actually full speed - the fans can go faster AFAIK but it's the diagnostic speed. I really wouldn't worry about it as it should do it.

Longtime forum members may be aware that I'll be the first to jump on an 'inconvenience' as just another example of what makes Apple products a POS, but this is actually a 'feature'.

18. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Oki, i just find it so strange that the Apple tech. guys said that if was for sure a hardware error! You should think they would know about the start up diagnostic, since they are hired to know stuff like that!

Well i'm glad there are so many clever pro helpful apple people in here to help :) THANKS

Anyway, i think i have decided just to keep it and try to be happy! I was just wondering since i also bought Apple Care, can't i just say to them that i will keep it for now, because i really need for my work, which i actually do! And if it gets worse i would like to have it replaced? I mean, it is now registered in their system that there is a "error" in my machine! The Apple Care is pretty good, if something goes wrong, or what?

Or do you think that they will just blame me, and say that i could just have accepted the replacement when they offered it?

thanks

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No. When there's something wrong with it - and with Apple kit, it's a matter of when, not if, it goes wrong - Applecare, as crap as it is, is still obliged to support you. From what you've said so far though your Pro seems to be in normal operating condition at this time.

I can't understand why the Apple techs would say that either. Maybe it was the way you described it?

20. scarabrae macrumors newbie

This sounds like it may be useful, as a "convincer" that your mac is ok, then you can find yourself relaxing...knowing that everything is ok.

21. scarabrae macrumors newbie

Read somewhere, here or on another forum, that there is some third party firmware, that allows the superdrive to read certain disc's the drive would not normally do, but results in the drive running at fullspeed all the time?

May be useful to do a search for this and see if it sheds any light?

Edit: See Here for starters
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=272010&highlight=superdrive+firmware

22. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Hi again

Oki, today i went into the Apple Store to listen if the Mac Pro's they have standing there also make the same fan noise when they start up. They had two standing there and none of them made the sound at start up!
    Mannnn..., im so confused!

23. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

The ones in the store were exceedingly unusual then.

24. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

25. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Tired of listening to me, i guess? Haha, fair enough :)