Question regarding SIMs/iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,
    so just some quick background: I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. My sister is getting it though so we ordered a 4S through her number and I was just gonna switch phones with her.

When the 4S does come, can I just put my sim card in from my old iphone 4 before I turn it on and just set it up like normal. My dad for some reason is convinced that the phone's are locked to the SIM's IMEI number or something unless I go into the store, but I'm pretty positive that's not the case.

Please let me know!

2. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bump, anyone know? should be an easy answer i think :/

3. extremei5 macrumors member

extremei5

I talked to AT&T about a similar situation today and you'll need to call them or go into a store once you get the 4s so they can switch the IMEI #'s associated with your 2 phones. Its very simple and painless!

good luck :):apple:

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Last year it depended on where you ordered the iPhone 4S from, Apple or AT&T?

This year, it is too early to know with the new "no iTunes" required for activation but the previous advise to call AT&T or stop by a store would also work. However, you are doing an Upgrade Swap and depending on where you ordered from, it might be as simple swaping Micro-SIMs with your sister after the iPhone 4S is activated against her phone number in the new iPhone 4S.

The phone number moves with the SIM so since you both need a Micro-SIM, this is the easiest way for your sister to get her "new to her" iPhone 4 working and you to keep using your existing active Micro-SIM. :D

Dave

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Have your sister activate the phone on iTunes so it's in a working state with her number. Then switch the SIMs. Then just plug both phones in their respective computer, restore, and start as new.