Question: Swapping my order out at an Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sharkey311, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Sharkey311 Suspended

The website screwed me over on the preorder night. I was wanting to get a Black iPhone 7+ 128 GB but due to errors I had to settle for the Gold. I have my heart set on a Black (I'm not even going to try and get a Jet Black) I am hoping to receive my Gold one morning of the 16th at the UPS warehouse and drive up to the Apple Store Saturday morning on the 17th to see if I can swap it out for a Black model. How possible/realistic is this?

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

You have 14 days to either return or exchange.

3. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

You sure can, now what will be in stock thats the question, but if its there you can swap no problem. Trust me there will be plenty of people doing the exact same thing.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Yes, you will have 14 days from the original date of purchase to return the device. But once you return it, you will have to wait for the device you want to become available. You don't get a special place in line to get what you want.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why on earth would you order something different from what you actually wanted?

Not to be rude, but that just seems dumb. You've added risk, time, and trouble vs just waiting for what you want. Plus you've added cost to Apple through ordering / returning something you didn't want.

It's a phone, not a kidney.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Sometimes we have first and second preferences. Last year I wanted the 6S 128GB plus in gold. When I pre-ordered I got the silver in the same capacity and I was fine with that as it was my second choice. What I didn't want was the space grey or rose gold so I wouldn't have ordered one of those. In 2014 I wanted the gold 6 plus in 128GB. I waited until the end of November and got fed up of waiting. In the end I settled for the space grey plus in 128GB. I could have for gold in 64GB but having the higher capacity was more important to me than a colour. This year I wanted rose gold and I got it.

7. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Anyone know if AUP customers can swap out devices?

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You can swap anything out providing that they have what you want in stock. It's the stock levels that are the issue.

9. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Yeah I just wanted to know if I can easily swap if they have my model in stock. I thought there would be some complications swapping since the AUP is kind of a miss right now lol

10. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

If you read the reservation email it says you can change provided that they have it in Stock.

11. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

But can that be only on the day of the reservation? Or can it be for the 14 days return period?

12. Sharkey311 thread starter Suspended

I have no problem going up to the Apple Store and waiting to get my first choice. I can live with a white faced iPhone but this year I was wanting to go back to black not just with the phone but was planning on the black watch and iPad this time around. First world problems, I know.

I just wanted to get y'all's opinion on the likelihood of a B&M Apple Store having a Black iPhone 7 Plus in stock the day after launch day or if I should wait until the end of the 2 week grace period.

I also was wondering if I can open the Gold iPhone I will be getting on launch day and use it within the 2 weeks.

13. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Treading those lines and checking everyday will consume you, beware :eek:

14. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

You can NOT do a simple exchange. You will have to do a product return and then purchase the new phone, because of inventory control.

But you will have 14 days from the ORIGINAL date of purchase.

15. Sharkey311 thread starter Suspended

2 years ago when the 6 and 6 Plus came out, I ordered the Plus and wasn't liking the size and 2 days after the launch day, I went up to the Apple Store, waited in line for about an hour and they swapped the 6 Plus out for a 6 no problem. I would imagine it would be similar this time around--the only difference is I am swapping it out for a different color.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

I get that, sometimes you like one a little better than the other but would be happy with either.

Plus sometimes you might order one thinking you'll like it and find you hate it instead. Nothing wrong with that, you made a honest attempt and learned the reality was different.

I'm not on board with wanting one thing and then ordering something else instead just to get an order in.

Just my opinion, others are of course free to disagree.

17. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

If time permits and my ship date of October doesn't change, I may wait in line on launch day and see if I can find a JB. I'd be willing to exchange my 128GB for a 256GB if one is on stock.

Friday seems so far away...

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Agreed. I feel bad for the guy who really wanted the 128GB iPhone 7+ in gold and now has to wait because the OP took his, even though he didn't really want it. Karma can be a b**ch.

19. Shanghaichica, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Either providing they have the stock.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    Yes you can use the phone and still return/exchange it within the 14 day period without any issues.

I bought an iPad mini 3 in 64GB used it for about a week and realised that I needed 128GB so I took it back and exchange it and just paid the difference.

I've also bought an iPod touch 6th gen and a pair of urbeats earphones. I used both and returned them for a refund within the 14 day period. It was very easy. Apple are great with their refund/exchange policy.
    Last year I got the 6S plus in silver but wanted gold. I wanted to swap it out for gold and called Apple to ask how I could do this. They said that I simply needed to make a reservation for the model I wanted and then take my silver phone into the store and that they would do a straight exchange. I made two reservations on two separate days for a gold 6S plus in the same capacity. On the first day I called the store to confirm that this was possible and they confirmed that all I had to do was bring in my phone and they would do a straight exchange. I didn't manage to get to the store to do the exchange because at the time I was suffering from morning sickness and fatigue so I ended up sticking with my silver.

I've also exchanged a 64GB iPad mini 3 for a 128GB mini 3 within my 14 days. They returned the iPad mini and created a gift card for the price of the 64GB model and all I had to do was pay the difference in price (£80). The whole thing took less than 5 minutes.
    I might do that myself (get 256GB) in the 14 days if I can get one in the same colour in a local store.

20. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

If you have a reservation, you haven't bought the phone yet so this doesn't apply if you want to switch to a different color or size

21. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

In the first post, the OP states that he plans to "receive my Gold one morning of the 16th at the UPS warehouse and drive up to the Apple Store Saturday morning on the 17th to see if I can swap it". When the phone is shipped he will have paid for it, so yes, he would have already bought the phone.

22. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I'm not saying you are wrong for the OP's situation, I am just clarifying for the people who have a reservation and want to swap

23. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

If you don't go there the night before. For sure there won't be anything left for you to swap.

24. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Fair enough... but it's all dependent on the desired device still being in stock and available ... which has historically been a tough get within the first 2 weeks following release.

25. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I ordered two Black 7+ 256gb but after thinking about it more I really don't need that much storage. My plan is to try and take them to AT&T store on Friday in hopes I can swap them out for the 128gb models.