Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow @ 30% thinner than the iPad Mini! Its already pencil thin, what are they aiming for needle thin or something.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I believe battery technology is improving, but this is a case of revenue management. That's why Apple has been maintaining the full charge span of the battery around a day. Battery life reduction is a powerful motivator for customers to replace their devices. So Apple has no inventive to start out products with 48 hour or higher battery span, because in 2 or 3 years it will still manage 24 to 30 hours on a single charge.

If the device starts off at 10 to 15 hours, in 2 years the battery may degrade to 4 to 8 hours, which may not get people through a day without recharging twice. Apple then gets a new sale or battery replacement ancillary revenue. Both of which won't happen in the first case.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I'm sorry, but the current iPad mini couldn't be any more iPad Air-like. Unless we are now using the word "Air" as a marketing placeholder nowadays.

The iPad mini always had the air-like aesthetics, it's the full size iPad that adopted the form factor from the mini. :D

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Oh if only. :( Regrettably Ive's fetish for paper-thin devices means there's no hope for that ... unless battery technology makes some huge leaps.

so obsessed his video speech on the 2018 iPad could go something like...

the resemblance to paper in this new guise is unapologetic. Such a design leads to reimagine the entire operating system, going further than before, we stripped out layers upon layers until what we were left with is not only functional but beautiful. iOS 12 is something fresh, something so unencumbered by form, so striking you'll look at it and say this is so far fetched so out of this world how did you do it. To overcome those limitations of such a design, we rose to challenge our preconceptions of what an operating system is, so with this our only conclusion was to take the operating system out of the iPad and put it into this (holds up a pencil)

the iPad paper goes on sale (no pencil included buy your own)

2 years later... iPad paper available in sheets

3rd year iPad paper comes with 2 staples that hold the sheets together

4th year an erase function is added

5th year the erase function is integrated into the pencil and iPad drops the name paper to become just iPad

pass round at apple head quarters freely, but don't get caught laughing haha :D

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
so obsessed his video speech on the 2018 iPad could go something like...

the resemblance to paper in this new guise is unapologetic. Such a design leads to reimagine the entire operating system, going further than before, we stripped out layers upon layers until what we were left with is not only functional but beautiful. iOS 12 is something fresh, something so unencumbered by form, so striking you'll look at it and say this is so far fetched so out of this world how did you do it. To overcome those limitations of such a design, we rose to challenge our preconceptions of what an operating system is, so with this our only conclusion was to take the operating system out of the iPad and put it into this (holds up a pencil)

the iPad paper goes on sale (no pencil included buy your own)

2 years later... iPad paper available in sheets

3rd year iPad paper comes with 2 staples that hold the sheets together

4th year an erase function is added

5th year the erase function is integrated into the pencil and iPad drops the name paper to become just iPad

pass round at apple head quarters freely, but don't get caught laughing haha :D

Very funny! Tears in my eyes...!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Im all for thinner devices; love the thickness of that ipod touch. Though I would like to see apple focus more on an 'iPad Pro'. Awaiting the day for an OSX tablet - 2024 cant get here soon enough! :D

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
In a few iPad generation, we'll be able to use them in the kitchen to cut vegetables.

And a generation or two after that, it will be an empty box (so thin, you won't be able to see the product anymore). When we gripe about the empty box, 10 guys from here will jump our cases by spinning it as we simply lost the iPad that was in the box when we opened it: "break out the iElectron microscope and look around and you should be able to find it"

What's the point of being thin if 95% of users will have a big bulky case around the device anyway?

Dollars (licensing fees) and structural integrity as "thinner" will eventually sacrifice the latter.

Obviously, I'm in the "thin enough" camp, much preferring something like more battery to "thinner". To me thinner is like a teenager's tattoo. It has one-time shock/"look at me" value until everyone that can react has… then you live with it. However, a functional gain like more battery offers a tangible, lasting benefit even if one couldn't spin "even thinner" for the 1Xth time.

StintheBeast

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Cambridge
Can someone post the meme of the guy opening his laptop and just shutting it right away. Cuz that's what I'm about to do. iPad mini air? seriously? it's gonna be a slow news day everyday until september.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I sometimes wish I kept my first gen iPad just so I can do a side-by-side compare of how far we've come.

That being said, I think eventually we'll see an iPad with 20-24 hour battery life in a form that's maybe 20% than the current model.

LebronK

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
iPad Pro = MacBook Air 12"

What if the rumored iPad Pro and the rumored MacBook Air Retina 12" were the same device? Maybe Apple has cracked the iOS/OSX hybrid...

Maybe?

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
I really do wish Apple would get past this obsession with thinness.

The iPad itself is thin enough. Ditto the iPhone 5/5S, which almost feel flimsy (as does the MBA, for that matter).

Improve battery life and keep the same level of thin.

Exactly. The very definition of technological innovation. Keep the same dimension, just increase battery capacity. Completely stupid that engineers have to work to find a way to improve battery technology for a slimmer design. You're doing it wrong, Cupertino. Product design works the other way around. You have to begin with the technology first and then build a product, not product first and then create the technology for it. Sigh.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I have an urgent need to swear at this point. Another year to wait? Please no.

If they do that I'll buy the 12" Samsung tablet instead. Fed up with always being 2 years behind everyone else on new screen sizes.

As the “proud” owner of a Samsung tablet, I wish you luck in this endeavor.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I really do wish Apple would get past this obsession with thinness.

The iPad itself is thin enough. Ditto the iPhone 5/5S, which almost feel flimsy (as does the MBA, for that matter).

Improve battery life and keep the same level of thin.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Unless they're working on some new secret super strong material to replace the aluminum, what's the point? It'll just be more prone to bending.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Guys, they're going to keep making these devices thinner. Want to know why? Because they eventually want your iPhone to be able to fold open into a tablet. That's the future, and it can't happen without thinner devices first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.