Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
My newer SE is only six months old (bought new) and Apple is considering not supporting it with iOS 13. This is planned obsolescence taken to absurd heights. If this rumour is true and I doubt it, Apple would make themselves extremely unpopular.

Reactions: aero2

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Au contraire. How exactly do shareholders profit from Apple currently supporting more devices than ever with their latest iOS, at up to 6 years much longer than anyone else in the industry?

After lacklustre sales of the X & Xs, Apple needs to shift 2019 iPhone's in huge numbers. I'm sure they'll do all they can to ensure the '2019' iPhone flagship appeals to all those 100's of millions of iPhone 6 & 5S users with obsolete hardware.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
RAM-based cutoff at 2 GB; additionally dropping iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. 3rd-most likely scenario.

This is what I believe will happen.

However if that is the case, it would be quite a curious decision to continue selling the (current!) 6th gen iPod touch. There had been several reports about Apple releasing a new model this spring, yet that didn't materialize.

Such a move wouldn't be completely without precedence, since the 4th gen iPod touch was discontinued in late May 2013 less than half a year before iOS 7 was released out which ceased support for it. But at that point it at least wasn't the current model anymore.

I guess if the 6th gen iPod touch is discontinued by the end of this month, that would suggest you're right.
[doublepost=1557759140][/doublepost]
My newer SE is only six months old (bought new) and Apple is considering not supporting it with iOS 13. This is planned obsolescence taken to absurd heights. If this rumour is true and I doubt it, Apple would make themselves extremely unpopular.

It's just a sketchy rumor, calm down everybody! We don't know whether Apple is considering anything. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1557759538][/doublepost]
After lacklustre sales of the X & Xs, Apple needs to shift 2019 iPhone's in huge numbers. I'm sure they'll do all they can to ensure the '2019' iPhone flagship appeals to all those 100's of millions of iPhone 6 & 5S users with obsolete hardware.

Anyone still holding on to an iPhone 6 or even 5s isn't that likely to make the switch to a 2019 flagship model anyway.

Your claim that Apple didn't care about its consumers, only about shareholders seems quite absurd given their track record of device support; Why then did they bother supporting the 5s with iOS 12 in the first place, how did that benefit shareholders?

Reactions: aero2

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
This has to be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read here.

OK, fine. I like ridiculous things, so I'm game to discuss that possibility: But what you need to do is argue your position. In my original post I mentioned a couple real-world examples of how the speed of software effects the performance of hardware. You think that's the most ridiculous thing you've ever read here. Consider researching if the efficiency of software effects the real-world performance of the hardware. For a starting point you might look at high-level and low-level languages and the difference between them, as that's an easy place to get started when discussing the efficiency of code. Then expand that to see if, even within a specific language (Java, for example) code can be more or less optimized and what effect that has on how fast the code runs. If what I said is ridiculous you should find that there is no evidence to support my position. Come back with that evidence, I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with!

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Apple works for their shareholders, not customers. The 2019 iPhone needs to make an impact so I'd expect the older phones to be chopped off the supported list for iOS 13.
First and foremost, apple works for the paying customers. All the money Apple gets comes from them. The shareholders only collect their share of the profits and need to be ensured that they will collect as much as possible, but all the money comes from the customers.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
First and foremost, apple works for the paying customers. All the money Apple gets comes from them. The shareholders only collect their share of the profits and need to be ensured that they will collect as much as possible, but all the money comes from the customers.

No they don't. Any CEO's primary responsibility to to make sure the shareholders are able to invest in a profitable business. Don't let PR fool you.
[doublepost=1557817886][/doublepost]
However if that is the case, it would be quite a curious decision to continue selling the (current!) 6th gen iPod touch. There had been several reports about Apple releasing a new model this spring, yet that didn't materialize.

Such a move wouldn't be completely without precedence, since the 4th gen iPod touch was discontinued in late May 2013 less than half a year before iOS 7 was released out which ceased support for it. But at that point it at least wasn't the current model anymore.

I guess if the 6th gen iPod touch is discontinued by the end of this month, that would suggest you're right.
[doublepost=1557759140][/doublepost]

It's just a sketchy rumor, calm down everybody! We don't know whether Apple is considering anything. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1557759538][/doublepost]

Anyone still holding on to an iPhone 6 or even 5s isn't that likely to make the switch to a 2019 flagship model anyway.

Your claim that Apple didn't care about its consumers, only about shareholders seems quite absurd given their track record of device support; Why then did they bother supporting the 5s with iOS 12 in the first place, how did that benefit shareholders?

You have completely missed my point. I'm not talking about previous years. I'm saying that it's imperative that the 2019 iPhone's sales are strong to ensure Apple continues to be a company that investors want to invest in. Apple needs to do what they can to ensure people holding out on older devices have an opportunity to upgrade this year. Making their phones obsolete is a start. People can't complain either, the 5s & 6 have had years of support so they can't be upset if their devices are no longer supported.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
No they don't. Any CEO's primary responsibility to to make sure the shareholders are able to invest in a profitable business. Don't let PR fool you.

Cook isn't just "any CEO", and even if you want to argue he is; the rest of Apple leadership certainly isn't just any
leadership, and Apple isn't just any business.

You have completely missed my point. I'm not talking about previous years. I'm saying that it's imperative that the 2019 iPhone's sales are strong to ensure Apple continues to be a company that investors want to invest in. Apple needs to do what they can to ensure people holding out on older devices have an opportunity to upgrade this year. Making their phones obsolete is a start. People can't complain either, the 5s & 6 have had years of support so they can't be upset if their devices are no longer supported.

Seems like you missed mine too. What I was getting at: If the only thing they care about were the profits for their shareholders, why on earth have they started supporting their older devices longer than anyone else in the first place?
It's not like many customers actually think about that when considering their purchase decision.
But it is the right thing to do to, and that certainly seems to be quite important to a lot of people in Apple leadership.

Reactions: aero2 and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No they don't. Any CEO's primary responsibility to to make sure the shareholders are able to invest in a profitable business. Don't let PR fool you...
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/ceo.asp
[doublepost=1557887193][/doublepost]
The iphone X sold like gangbusters. Can you point to some authoritative source that claims the iphone X sales were lackluster?

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and aero2

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The new iPod Touch disproves the 4' inch screen cutoff theory. Like I said before, the update is based off of processors only.
I agree - I doubt they would drop the SE now, considering the new iPod Touch with its 4" screen will certainly receive iOS 13. Possibility that all A8 devices will be left out though with them discontinuing the A8 based 6th gen iPod Touch just before iOS 13 is announced.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and aero2

aero2

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
Georgia, United States
I agree - I doubt they would drop the SE now, considering the new iPod Touch with its 4" screen will certainly receive iOS 13. Possibility that all A8 devices will be left out though with them discontinuing the A8 based 6th gen iPod Touch just before iOS 13 is announced.
Although not supporting A8 devices breaks the 6-year support pattern, it seems likely. Why would Apple update a device that barely sells anymore with merely a processor bump? They obviously don't care much about sales, since they put in minimal effort. It seems like they were upgrading to ensure that an unsupported product wasn't being sold anymore.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Although not supporting A8 devices breaks the 6-year support pattern, it seems likely. Why would Apple update a device that barely sells anymore with merely a processor bump? They obviously don't care much about sales, since they put in minimal effort. It seems like they were upgrading to ensure that an unsupported product wasn't being sold anymore.
A7 devices were the first to get 6 years of support, which hopefully will become the new standard, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple walk it back to 5 years as that was the previous standard (and it's still a couple years longer than you get with any Android devices).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.