Questions about iPhone 4, international travel, ETF & unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Jul 6, 2011.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I've got an AT&T iPhone 4 and will be moving to Switzerland for a year later this month. I have a few questions about AT&T ETF and using the iP4 in Europe:

1. I've heard that I can be released from the AT&T ETF if moving internationally. Is there a preferred method or contact to get this done with the minimum amount of pain?

2. What is the safest/easiest way to unlock an iP4 for use in Switzerland/Europe? I am currently not jailbroken and have never done so before, so an easy step-by-step would be appreciated (searched the forums, but found most explanations about basebands, etc to be complicated)

3. Will I have full functionality in Switzerland with an unlocked AT&T iP4?

4. Will AT&T know when I unlock the phone (and even if so, do they care?)? I may be going back and forth between the US & Europe for a bit before the final move and may be switching SIMs, etc.

5. Anyone that has familiarity with the Swiss networks (Swisscom, Orange, Sunrise): any feedback on network quality/speed as well as rates (including roaming in Europe) would be appreciated.

I know that many of these questions have been answered to a certain degree in other threads, but I could not find clear answers for all of them. Appreciate your input!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not an expert at this, but I'm pretty sure that every thread that starts like this always ends with: "Sell your iPhone in the US and use the cash to buy a new one once you get there."

Maybe something's changed recently, but that's how these threads tend to work themselves out as far as I know. I don't think AT&T unlocks iPhones for any reason.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't know If you can get out of the ETF, try calling their customer service and see. I know I couldnt when I went out of the country, but that was Verizon not Att. For unlocking with the iPhone 4 your only option is the gevey sim, but the other thing you could do that would be easier is sell your current iPhone and buy a factory unlocked model. You should have full functionality either way.

Att probably won't know if you unlock your phone, and if they can tell they don't seem to care. As for your last question I don't know much about Swiss networks so I'll leave that for someone else.

4. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I'm not looking for AT&T to unlock (I understand that they won't).

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should just buy a new iPhone in Switzerland (or buy a factory unlocked one from here). Your iPhone might not be unlockable.

6. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

ATT will let you out of the ETF, but will not unlock the device.

What modem version is your iPhone 4?

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

1. Explain to AT&T what is happening and they might waive the fee.

2. In your iPhone, navigate to Settings, General, About. If your "Modem Firmware" does not say 1.59.00, you will need to use the Gevey turbo SIM which can be purchased online. There are many tutorials on how to use this on YouTube.

3. Yes.

4. They won't know unless you tell them. ;)

5. I've heard Orange is pretty decent.

:)

Honestly though, instead of dealing with the potential mess than can be Gevey, just sell your AT&T iPhone 4 on Craigslist or eBay and then buy a factory unlocked one from the Apple store. You will take a hit of about $250 but it would be worth it knowing that you will always be unlocked no matter what, wherever you go.