iPhone X Questions about upgrading from the 8 plus to the X.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaybar, Mar 7, 2018.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I will be upgrading from the 8 plus to the X. I am on the IUP and have already made 12 payments. I can purchase through Apple or Verizon.

What are the advantages to continuing with the IUP?

What are the advantages of doing it through Verizon and doing a trade-in to Verizon? My Verizon account is in good order.

Do I need the 256GB size for the X? I have had the 8 plus since release and have only used 26GB. If I were not storing my music on my phone, I would only be using 8GB. I subscribe to Apple Music and have 50GB of iCloud storage.

How important is Apple Care? Would I be better off with Verizon’s plan?

Thanks.

2. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

How does Apple Care Plus compare to insurance from Verizon for the X?

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

With AppleCare, repairs are done by Apple techs using Apple parts. All repair work comes with a warranty.

With Verizon insurance, Azurion does not always use genuine Apple parts for their repairs, nor are all the tech Apple certified. I would not waste my time and money on garbage insurance offered by Verizon or the other carriers. I stick with AppleCare.

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

How much storage do I need. My iPhone 8 Plus, which I have had since release day, has only used 26GB of storage. I subscribe to Apple Music. Of the 26GB used, music stored on my phone, uses 18GB. When moving to the X, will 64GB suffice?

5. JGWolven macrumors regular

Sure bud. You could definitely make 64GB work. We live in a wonderful world of cloud storage.

6. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Anyone have the iPhone X on Verizon and have used their insurance? Has your experience been positive?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Unless you change your habit, you kinda answered your own question.

You will love the X!

8. Black05Hemi macrumors regular

Except, Verizon insurance covers theft or loss. Applecare doesn't. Correct me if i'm wrong.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Correct, Applecare doesn't cover loss or theft. So if you have Applecare and you lost your phone or got stolen then you are out of luck.

10. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Given Azurion's business practices, I still wouldn't sign up with Verizon's insurance. I would rather know I am getting a quality refurb from Apple, than get some third party put together non-spec parts phone. Azurion's method of making someone 'whole,' is not equal in my eyes.

It would behoove the OP to read Verizon's insurance policy. It's not very good, in my opinion.

11. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Agree.

12. Black05Hemi macrumors regular

Well, for those of us who bought our iPhones used, and didn't have the option of purchasing AppleCare, Azurion is all we have.

What exactly is wrong with their business practices? I've always carried the insurance, but never had to file a claim.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The only things I have heard about Azurion is that quality of their refurbished phones have a sketchy Track Record with the parts they use, the phones don’t appear to be in the condition Apple would restore them as and packaging being poor.

14. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I can verify this, I had my Note 4 replaced by Asurion for burn in on the status bar. Took 3 replacements b4 I was given a brand new phone. each "certified" replacement was just as bad if not worse than my original phone. 2 phones physically were damaged, looked like they were dropped repeatedly. Verizon was shocked when I showed them. Per a Verizon rep, I had been told after 2 faulty replacements they issue a new phone and they did after my third and a lot of complaining.