Questions before i update to iOS 8 GM

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Josh7047, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Josh7047 macrumors newbie

I have a windows 7 netbook with one of the newest itunes versions. Im installing it on my iphone 5s model a1533. Is this a GSM/CDMA or just CDMA? Im using Verizon.

Also

After I update to the GM, will i be able to update to the OTA update next week? Will i be able to update to future updates like 8.1? Or will i have to downgrade to 7.1 before i do these?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

For your first question, you'll have to make sure you're downloading the correct iPSW for your device.

For your second question, the GM is the same thing as the public release that comes out next week. Therefore, there will be no OTA available as there's nothing to upgrade to. However, you will get any subsequent updates on your phone available OTA as normal. So, if they issue some small 8.0.1 update next week when they release the new phones, you'll get any update your iPhone is eligible for.

3. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

People have been saying to restore but it wouldn't matter if I just option-click update? I really don't want to wait 2 hours for my stuff to sync again (64 GB iPhone).

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You can. As long as you are coming from 7.1.2. If you have Beta 5 I would highly recommend restoring. YMMV

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Question: I have a backup done from iOS 8 Beta 4 that I made on Aug 4. If I install the GM, will I be able to restore this back up? Or does it have to be a back up from iOS 7? Unfortunately, Beta 5 will not allow me to create a back up, so my 8/4 backup is the most recent I can use.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, you can use your most recent backup, whichever version of iOS is was made under. I restored my iPhone 5s to the GM, and then restored the backup I made earlier in the day on beta 5, no problem.

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Did you have any problem backing up from Beta 5? Every time I try, it fails and says the iphone has disconnected. Apparently it's a known issue that encrypted backups fail, but I can't see any way of not encrypting the backup. Maybe it's because I have a 5.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Worked alright for me..

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Oh well, I guess that's why it's called a beta.