Questions for those who had a"Try on " experience

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by edlex, Apr 10, 2015.

1. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Did anyone find the SS watches scuffed or scratched up? Did anyone try the watch on with the watch face on the inside of your wrist? I like wearing my watches on the inside of my wrist sometimes and I'm wondering if the sensors will still work this way.

2. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

1. I didn't notice. The Apple Employee had a microfiber cloth and cleaned the watch before and after I tried it on.

2. No, I didn't try it with the watch face facing down, sorry!

3. Sharkey311 Suspended

No and no.

What I can tell you is that wearing one with the leather loop is pure sex toast, though.

4. cruzmisl macrumors regular

The stainless is going to get scuffed up and scratched, that's just the nature of it. It comes out of the box flawless and mirror-like, but scratches is just how these metals wear. A brushed finish would work better for this, but even those get scuffs and scratches.

I'm not looking forward to inevitable the "my SS has a scuff :( :( now will Apple replace it?" threads. :rolleyes:

5. trek360 macrumors 6502

They were all pristine at my store but this was only a couple hrs after opening. The reps were also very protective of them. I'm sure they didn't want people intentionally trying to scratch them kinda like bend gate on the iPhone 6+.

Do you mean trying the watch with the display face on the palm side of the wrist and the buckle on the top side? I didn't do that. I think it would work still. And actually may be a more discrete way to read messages now that I think about it.

6. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

I'm just curious with all the handling by a zillion people how the steel stands up. Knowing me I'll be walking around with a microfiber cloth wiping the watch every time I touch it! But yeah I'm not looking forward to the inevitable ding on the watch. #

----------

Yes face of watch on palm side of wrist

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I have a very expensive (For me) that is stainless steel. It is pretty damn scratched up. BUT the beautiful thing is you can always go and get it buffed up and it'll look almost brand new depending on how deep they go - minor and they'll be gone. That's just how stainless steel works. You are going to get micro scratches on it, but you can buff it out. So there is that.

8. chenjas1 macrumors member

image.jpg I tried the 42mm SS on on the underside of my wrist and it felt good. The Apple rep said it should pick up your heart rate just fine and also said the raise to wake feature should also work since it's detecting you raising your arm and twisting your wrist.

9. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Watches: you're doing it wrong

10. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

What can I say, I'm a contrarian by nature#

11. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

1) No scuffs or scratches that I could notice, but the Apple employee treated that thing like a newborn baby. He was reluctant to let me latch and unlatch it, I had to try it on over a padded mat, and he wiped it down before and after with a microfiber cloth. I get it, because it is going to be tried on many times every day, and no one wants to risk someone dropping it on the floor.

2) I didn't even think to try it that way, sorry. I wore my MS band on the inside of my wrist, but this felt very comfortable facing out.

12. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I just got back from my appointment too and it solidified why I don't want one. First of all, the Apple Store employee had never even touched one and it was her first try-on appointment so the whole thing was just awkward, she didn't know anything about it or really what to tell us. None of the try-on models would even light up or switch on and she didn't know why. We couldn't try any Watch we wanted because they didn't even have a few of the models in the store (42mm SS with Milanese was one of them??) You can tell the employees are not trained in assisting customers to try on jewellery, that's not their job. Their job is to sell computers. It's all wrong.

Secondly, it just didn't feel like an Apple product. Not on my wrist and not in my hand. It didn't feel like something Apple should have made. It's tiny, slow and downright awkward to use. None of the features actually worked on the fully working demo model, she couldn't work out how to reply to a message and the Force Touch with tempormental. The interface is not intuitive and the digital crown doesn't make interacting with it easier.

Overall, I left with a bad taste in my mouth and worry. I'm worried because I don't think it's a product category Apple should have entered into and I'm worried that most of the pre-orderers yesterday rushed into a purchase without making an informed decision.

The whole thing feels wrong and I am so disappointed. I love Apple to bits but...what IS this? Avoid. I'm really hoping things get better with the second generation - which will no doubt show its face by the end of this year.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I sympathise with your in store experience as mine was the total opposite fortunately for me. Having tried out the watch in person I 100% disagree with you about the watch itself. Plus the end user experience with ones own watch and the latest update will be far better experience in my opinion.

14. Chcougar1 macrumors regular

There is no way Gen 2 comes out this year. Most of us won't even have our watches until June. Apple would have some very angry customers if they did that. I expect gen 2 in April of next year

15. KPOM macrumors G5

They might not wait until April of next year, but I do think the earliest would be January/February 2016. That would be in time for Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day. Since the Watch is an iPhone accessory I expect that eventually it will be on the same cadence (originally I'm guessing they were aiming for September 2014), but I don't see that until September 2016 the earliest (with the iPhone 7).

----------

It's not going to be scratched up so soon, but stainless steel watches do get scratched. It's no big deal. I've been wearing stainless steel watches for years. Remember, people will likely be replacing this every 3 years or so.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I saw no scratches. I didn't try it on the underside of my wrist, sorry.

My Apple person was great. Let me handle several watches myself, let me put them on myself, play with the crown, etc. My only disappointment was that there were no green bands to try on.

I tried link, leather loop, modern buckle and sport. Tried on 42mm and 38mm.

17. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Since when did Apple ever care about angry customers when it comes to product upgrades? Do you remember the iPad 4? Don't lie to yourself. Apple will do what they like.

18. comptr macrumors 65816

well I am sorry that you had such a bad experience at your try-on appointment. I have had 2 try-on appointments at two different stores and at both they showed me the watches I wanted to see and the second one which was yesterday they did not have one watch in their portable tray thing so they went to the table and got the one I asked to see. All the one I tried on were fully charged and they knew how to turn them on and they showed me how they worked. I really like the design and how the interface is for the watch and with the retail units it should have updated software which will be faster. Apple Needed to enter this product category as its the next big product category.

19. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

My try-on experience was great.
    My appointment was at 1pm and I turned up at 12.30. Whilst I was waiting I was invited to try some of the functions on the demo watches that were available on another table. Another rep came over at 12.50 and asked if I would like my appointment early.
    I tried the 42mm SS with a link and the same again with the Milanese and the rep even let me look at both side by side. He took some of the links out so that it fitted snugly on my wrist. I asked about the white sport band and the rep disappeared for two minutes and came back with another watch with a white sport band and I tried that one on.
    I was then invited to continue playing with the demo watches and spent a happy 20 minutes getting used to all the functions.

Yep my experience wasn't to shabby for Kev ;)