Questions on office app!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonnyApple, Aug 12, 2011.

1. JonnyApple macrumors newbie

I use Microsoft office on my computer for school - especially PowerPoint and was wondering:

What is the best recommended app for using office documents on iPad ?
    Does documents to go allow you to take notes directly on the PowerPoint?
    Why do all the office apps seem to have low ratings ?

Thanks guys

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I use Pages, Numbers and Keynote. I'm satisfied with them, so have never tried any other office apps.

3. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Same here, some apps will do this and some will do that. When it comes to it though, I think apple takes the prize with the great integration and design off the app

4. daffie macrumors regular

daffie

Office 2 HD here, works perfectly together with Dropbox.

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

If you want to take notes from a slide presentation, save the PowerPoint as a PDF and use any of the wealth of note-taking apps that take PDFs. I will never understand why people use raw PowerPoint files rather than PDFs for this kind of thing...

6. dickdaney macrumors regular

I have docs to go. The only catch is that you can only edit documents you've already created in office. You can't create new files in docs to go. It's great when someone emails you a file and your need to add a few things and send it back. It's worthless if you need to create a file from scratch on the go. I believe numbers, keynote, and pages let you create files from the iPad, not just read/edit.

7. Penquin79 macrumors member

Office apps

We use quick office HD. Opens Word, Excel, Power Point, PDF, photos, just about everything you need. Even converts files to PDF using the print function. But you have to remember the iPad is best at reading ns accessing files. While you can create new documents you just can't have all of the editing functions that a desk top or lap top has.

And as pointed out, it works great will Drop Box.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am not sure what the op wants to do, and i am still trying to familiarize myself with all of the office type apps on the ipad, so i cannot offer much advice there.

but, as someone mentioned before, i don't think taking notes on a powerpoint presentation is the best way to go about it.

unless, of course, the op means they want to write their own presentation notes in it. in that case, from what i understand (i have only seen others do it with macbook pros), keynote is pretty cool. unlike powerpoint, it will show the audience the slide, and show the speaker the text of the talk (the notes). this is really cool and i am dumbfounded that microsoft still hasn't copied this feature.

9. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I was just reading some posts about the iPad for students and they wanted an app where they could write on power points, etc. And they said to check out iAnnotate.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

My understanding is that iAnnotate works for PDF. I could be wrong. I haven't purchased it. But, if that is true, I would recommend GoodReader. I am quite impressed with it as a PDF reader, and it also has a lot of functions, including annotations.