Quibids- Thumbs Up or Down?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Quibids is described as a legitimate auction site. It would be nice to walk away with a new iPad for $50. Anyone have success?

The problem I see with it is that the auction is extended every time someone bids and each bid cost $.60. At the end, an auction counts down, then jumps back up if someone bids on it. There seems to be an auto-bidder system, that might remove some of the micro-bid management, but if an auction jumps 1 penny, you could easily sink $50 into an iPad auction and not achieve victory.

Anyone with first hand experience and/or knowledge of this site?
    Thanks!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

By the time you successfully win one, you are likely to have spent a lot of money.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

So you are looking for cherry picked anecdotes that reinforce what you've already decided you want to do, no matter how 'bad' of an idea it might be?:)

Hey if you want to roll the dice, go for it, but don't do it because you've convinced yourself you'll get a cheap iPad.

Is is possible? Yes. Is it probable? Nope.

Typically these sites charge a small fee per bid without regard to whether you win or not.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You are an assumer! :p I've not decided anything. And no, I'm just looking for examples of success. Just read this article which is a negative.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No, not 'an assumer,' but when you say something like

I get the impression you're only looking for reinforcement!

7. chown33 macrumors 604

What would a positive testimonial prove? Or even demonstrate?

AFAICT, a positive testimonial is just one anecdote, or three anecdotes, or how ever many testimonials there are. But you have no data on the number of people who didn't get a positive result, so simply looking for positive testimonials means the data itself is inherently skewed.

Another possibility for a positive testimonial is that it's fake. Which means it degrades the reliability of the data, in addition to the inherent skew of not getting all the data.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Not clarified enough on my part. The statement was made because I was looking for anyone who had a positive experience, because I am suspicious of the methodology of the site.

Well, it might prove that's it's actually possible to get a good deal. And if so, how much time and effort was spent? This does not mean, I'm sold on the concept. And yes, I think both of you, my fault, assumed I only wanted positive feedback. Not true! :p

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Possible only means one thing: possible. It says nothing about likelihood.

Is it possible to bet on 00 in roulette and win? Yes, it's possible. Is it likely? Not much.

What difference does time & effort make? It's not a game of skill. The sole factor worth considering is return on investment. If you spend more overall than the value of what you can reliably win overall, it's a losing proposition.

Then the link to the previous thread, and the other article you found, should be enough. If you need more info, it shouldn't be hard to google it.

Or spend your money on a course in probability and statistics.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I highly appreciate your words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

11. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I haven't used it before, but from what I've seen/researched online over the past few years, it seems a lot easier to win lower priced things then high priced (common sense). You could probably win a $10 gift card for 5 cents easier then an iPad for 50 bucks. Good luck if you try it.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks, I probably will not.

It's interesting that when I started this thread it was to see if anyone in the forum had first hand experience with the site. I was not soliciting an analysis of how and why I asked the question as I did or advice on what kind of college course I need to take. :p

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hey just offering some friendly thoughts. :) It was not to imply that you aren't already aware of how these websites operate, but rather to 'make sure' you have realistic expectations for something you appeared to be considering.

14. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

I saved up some extra cash (about $250) and decided to give beezid and quibids a try. I was shocked when I won my first auction (a walmart gift card $100) by only placing 3 bids. So with that I guess you could say I lucked out. By the way i won the gift card at a final price of $1.88

YOU MUST BE CAREFUL!!! These are set up to make you place bid after bid and by the time you realize it you're buying even more. The auction sites are making a TON of money. While yes you have the chance at some amazing savings but just remember your 1 cent bid is actually 60 cents.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

They sounded more critical than friendly or helpful.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I do happen to come off that way, particularly on informal message boards. :eek: