Quick question: does FF drain more battery on the MBP 13" than Safari?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryans79, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Question in the subject line, nothing more to add here ;)
    other than i am getting bad battery life and only use FF... so was wondering.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Was wondering if Apple "optimised" the OS in some way for Safari...

I dont like safari, cant see me using any other browser other than FF for a whole day because FF is fantastic with all the add ons to block advertising and remember all my logins/bookmarks from all my machines via auto sync..
    was hoping someone else has noticed this and already has the answer as i'm sure i'm not the only with with a total preference to FF over nearly another other browser regardless of the OS.

Thanks for your reply though, I appreciate it.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the differences are TINY. you wouldnt notice much at all, hardly worth worrying

5. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!
    Now gotto figure out whats eating my battery....

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are you watching flash movies/playing flash games? that will do it.

open Activity Monitor, check out which processes are chewing the CPU

7. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, and i have flashblock installed on FF so no flash is going to start on a hidden part of the page either... i gotto "authorize" all flash (including youtube vids)... damn i love FF's add ons. Would really take to Chrome as a second choice, but since they dont support add ons (the thought of people using their browser and blocking google ads is a little too much for them i guess:D) FF all the way.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not into FF aye, maybe all those add-ons are slowing it down lol? i doubt it...

what % health is your battery at? (istat will tell you)

9. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

heres a snapshot... but how do i read it? what am i looking for?

Attached Files:

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

In my experience Firefox uses more CPU and RAM than Safari, so yes, no matter how negligible it will drain more battery.

11. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

spotlight gives me no results on "istat", how do i find that?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sort by CPU usage, but as you can see there is basically nothing....

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry, its a widget you have to download. go here

14. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, learnt something very new and interesting, didnt have a clue as to these "widgets", any others you recommend?

Took a snapshot after installing this as i think it would be easier than me writing about each of these things as i read off the widget:

Attached Files:

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have a whole bunch of games in my widgets nothing interesting lol!

you can get anything, from mail notifiers to ping pong to whatever. check apple.com/downloads for their stuff

i cannot see anything bad, your battery is at 99% health which is fine. you have 2.5hrs left at around 50%, i dont really see anything wrong with that at all...

16. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Will check out the widgets download thing, thanks!

Shouldnt battery health be at 100% as its not even 1 month old?

2.5hrs battery at 50%, that means 5hrs at 100%... far less than the 7hrs promised for the new MBPs right?
    I have screen brightness at 50% as well as keyboard brightness as said on the apple site.

17. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I'm a Firefox user on my PC.

When I'm on my Mac, I use Safari.

Some time ago, all the geeks were up in arms about Apple using private APIs to speed up Safari. APIs that were not made public to other developers (like Firefox). I'm not sure how the situation has changed since then.

But for me at least, I find that Safari loads faster than Firefox. And I see that Safari does use up less CPU. I stick to Safari for the most part then switch to Firefox when a page doesn't load in Safari.

18. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, and have you noticed any substantial differences in battery life? or anything else?

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Li-Ion batteries are wierd.. they LOVE being used. at least 1 cycle everyday. do not drain them to 0% every charge, mostly plug the charger in at around 15%-20%. fully drain the battery (called calibrating) it every 20-30 cycles - to calibrate you let it go flat, then wait for the sleep light to completely turn off (this may take overnight or so).

i wouldnt be TOO fussed by the battery life, turning on the keyboard backlight takes a bit of battery power, do you have bluetooth on? wireless also chews through the life.

its better then the 1.5hrs i get on mine :p stop sooking :p

20. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, i guess i never really drained it then... i once let it shut off completly, and 3-4 times till i got the warning it was going to shut off at around 5%.
    Bluetooth is a b!tch and always off... learned that the hard way on my phones.
    Wireless is on, but on the apple site it said wireless was on..

This battery is much better than my old 2nd hand MB, but one of the main selling points (the reason i bought this) was 7hrs battery life, the thought of getting a whole days worth of work on one charge made me bite the bullet and pick this up (financially not as good as i would like to be right now... global cash crunch and everything) so i would be pretty pissed if its false advertising and it does not deliver as promised...

When i put something up for sale, when i get a call asking me if anythings wrong with it, i'm the type of person who describes everything honestly including all the scratches and nicks so the person on the other end does not feel cheated after buying something...if something is wrong, (im straight) but i'll bet my ass they are going to find out from me (if i know about it of course) rather than find out when using what i sold them.
    I kind of expect the same when i am buying something new... and paying the prices Apple asks for their products.

Sorry for the extra long text, but just wanted you to see my view of the battery thing rather than me being ungrateful for something that others are getting a quarter of.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as i said, only do the full drain every 20-30 cycles. you are currently at 13 cycles, so give it another month or so (at your current rate) before doing it next

i totally agree with you and i see where you are coming from. there have indeed been many mac users who are happy and are getting the full 7 hours battery, some even 8.

when my GFs battery was new, she was getting 6hrs out of a 4hr rated battery. it just depends.

i am not certain why you arent getting the full 7hrs, if you arent running intensive applications i cannot see why it wouldnt last the full 7 hrs. sometimes they need time to settle in, if you arent happy with it take it back and explain your situation, you are entitled to your opinion and complaints - apple are normally very good with these sorts of issues.

22. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help mate,

will give it a little more time and see if it sorts out, if not will take it in as advised.

Cheers!

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

all good, take it easy and goodluck :)

24. vanc macrumors 6502

Firefox does use more CPU than Safari. Sometimes, if you visit some graphics intensive or flash website, the CPU usage will go up and barely comes down after the page is closed. The only remediation is to restart Firefox. Otherwise, the battery life will be shorter.

25. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

does anyone know when flash based media players like on youtube will stop sucking so badly in the cpu cycles dept?