Quick question for the experts (iPhone upgrade)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatguysmells, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguysmells macrumors regular

If I buy an iPhone 3GS right now on a new contract, how much will it cost to buy the new iPhone when it comes out this summer? I know I'd have to pay full retail is that correct? :confused:

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

My best guess is it'd cost you $500-600. Pretty hefty price. I highly suggest waiting a month.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re insane if you buy that now. Jeez, in one month or so, you could buy a 3GS for almost nothing, if you didn’t want the new model.

4. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

But what if I end up not liking the new one and wish I had bought the older model? I don't like how the new one has raised plastic covers on both sides. I like the inset glass on the current model. Plus, I'm using a free verizon samsung flip phone currently, so obviously the iPhone 3GS is a huge upgrade in its own right.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You really don’t know for sure what the phone is going to look like. You’ve only seen a prototype.

If you get the 3GS now, you must agree not to come on here and whine about not being able to upgrade. :)

6. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Not being able to upgrade? I thought you could upgrade if you paid full retail for the new phone? And I haven't seen A prototype, I have seen prototypeS.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sure you can upgrade if you want to pay full price. Most people don’t want to waste their money like that.

You’ve seen two. They’re still prototypes.

Anyway, the point is you can wait a month and pay at most $199 for a 3GS with 32GB.

8. tnisatard macrumors 6502

well think about it this way

iPhone 3GS 16gb - $200
    iPhone 3G 8gb - $100

so this years prediction

2010 iPhone 32gb (or maybe 16gb still) - $200
    iPhone 3GS - $100

so you have the option to save $100 if you just wait 1 more month

and IMO, you shouldnt base everything off looks, i mean FEATURES are more important

anyways just wait until the press conference, then they usually give a week before it releases, so you have a week to justify if you like the new iphone

9. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

More like two months since the new iPhone isn't supposed to be released until late June early July. If the iphone 3GS will still be offered when the new one comes out then I will wait.

10. rkswat macrumors regular

Then you have answered your own question. IF you like the 3gs better, get it. You really need to come on a forum to get that answer?

11. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

In case you missed it again,
    IF

12. Sulwyn macrumors member

To most of us here with limited funds what you plan on doing sounds like a HUGE waste of money. So naturally most posters will reply in a negative manner. However, if money isn't an issue for you then I say go ahead and pay full retail for the new phone when it's out. Personally, I'd wait that 1-2 months. Time flies quicker than you think it does and money is something I cringe at seeing wasted that way.

13. rkswat macrumors regular

No I saw if... how do you know if you will or wont like it until it comes out? Do a little research on your own and make a decision for yourself. No need to ask total strangers which phone YOU should get. Get the one that YOU like.

14. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Can you stay out of my thread please? Go harass someone else.

So everyone who has an iPhone 3GS now and paid the current price, "wasted" their money? Is that what you're implying? The phones are discounted because they come with the expectation that you will sign a contract. The value of the phone is what it costs in full retail form. It's not a waste of money anymore than anything else is that you would find in a retail store.

15. plusonechoi macrumors member

definitely wait, you can still get either phone in about 1 month. You can get the new one for upgrade price and not full retail. And if you dont like the new one you can still get the 3GS for a cheaper price then.

16. Sulwyn macrumors member

That is not what I'm saying at all. Especially since I, myself, bought the 3GS at the current price soon after it came out. However, the point is that $100 is a lot to most people. If two months of your life of not having an iphone is worth $100 then by all means, go ahead. For most people, the $100 savings will mean more than owning an iphone for a month or two extra.

17. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

That's your opinion. Here's mine: If someone is that concerned with their $100.00, they shouldn't be buying an iPhone in the first place since it's a luxury item. Fair enough? This is america and we're all entitled to our opinions no matter how ludicrous.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Then why are you asking all these questions? Buy the 3GS now and then if you like the HD, buy the HD. If you don’t like the 3GS, throw it in the trash. It’s only a few hundred dollars.

/thread

19. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Throw it in the trash? Nice job at over exaggerating and taking things to the extreme. If I spend full retail on a phone it is not throwing money in the trash, it's throwing money into the economy and transferring money from my hands to another entities hands who can spend it or invest it. Throwing money in the trash does neither. God, this is so lame. Is everyone on this forum as shmart as shu? :rolleyes:

20. Sulwyn macrumors member

And when did I say that you shouldn't go ahead with what you're planning? I didn't. I told you from the very beginning to go ahead if money isn't the issue. You've been negative towards everyone in the thread. Why post this if you already decided what you want to do? So that people can pat you on the back? Sorry but most people aren't in the habit of doing that.

That's $100 of hard earned money. For a student like me, who lives off an allowance, $100 is a few months of saving up. I don't believe you have a right to tell me what I should or should not buy because I don't have that much money.

21. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, so I'm the scapegoat now? The first negative comment was directed at me and most have been. I've been responding. You guys are the ones attacking me. It's seriously fine though, I could care less. I don't care if you have nothing or everything, and I certainly wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your money. We were exchanging opinions, if you see an opinion as an order then that is your problem. Were you ordering me when you expressed your opinion? I'm done with this. The attitudes here are absurd.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^
    I read through all the posts made to you, and I find it hard to believe you see anyone being rude or negative to you. I guess you think I was rude/negative?

23. rkswat macrumors regular

Yes yours' is. You ask a question then get pissy when people answer it, total fail.

I was looking for my troll spray but seemed to have misplaced it.

Life comes down to personal choices. The key word there is PERSONAL. YOU need to decide which phone is best for you related to your usage, style of use, $$ and personal preference. You wanted advice well here it is. Get the new phone, if you can afford the new one when it comes and you want it, get it too.

Please close thread, question answered. ;)

+1

ID may of thought I was being mean... I was simply stating the obvious. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, you didn't like what you were hearing so you went on the attack.

And you obviously don't care about the opinions being offered here....that you asked for....so...deal.

Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do and money is not a concern....so go do it.

25. tnisatard macrumors 6502

apple is holding the conference int he week of the 12th i believe

and at&t is moving people's upgrades to the 21st

and today is the 16th, so its 1 month, you can wait 1 month to save $100 or get a phone with new features

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.