Quick question on unlocking 3g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bootsie, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am trying to unlock a friends 3G iPhone for use on T-mobile, it is jailbroken 4.1 and the baseband is 05.14.02...

Is it possible to unlock with this baseband? I usually just used iclarified tutorials, but they don't list this baseband...

Please help asap

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant unlock it yet but there should be a new unlock soon.
    Hang tight and keep an eye on the Dev teams site:
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

3. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Ok thanks so much for your help. I'll keep watching.

4. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have a few questions as well..

I have an iPhone 3G, that I restored (never jailbroken, had OS4 installed but assuming it is back to 3 with the restore)..

It is currently locked to the Rogers network, but I am selling it to my cousin who wants it on Bell..

Do I have to jailbreak it before I can unlock it? Once unlocked, can they perform regular updates via iTunes or will that relock it?

I have never jailbroke/unlocked a phone before, so any advice would be appreciated...

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

#1 Yes, In order to unlock, you must first jailbreak the iPhone (only way).

#2 No, if you update the iPhone through iTunes, the iPhone will re-lock. You can only update if the tools to jailbreak and unlock are out for the newest iOS update.

6. emac82 macrumors 6502

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep. PwnageTool allows you to create a custom ipsw file to preserve the baseband of the iPhone so you can unlock. With Pwnage you can upgrade to the newest iOS 4.1 and still be unlocked and jailbroken because you preserved the baseband.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

One thing you might want to know about Bell is that their network until last year was essentially CDMA/EVDO. In 2009 they implemented an HSPA overlay which provides a 3G capability that works with the iphone. I believe this was done in conjunction with Telus.

What it means is that you only have 3G service available for the iphone on Bell no fall back to GSM/edge if you get poor reception. This is unlike Rogers which has always been GSM and hence provide both GSM 2G and 3G.

9. emac82 macrumors 6502

Great, thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow, I don't have the iPhone with me at this time...

Do I need a sim card it in to perform the jailbreak? When I give it to my cousin to set up with Bell, is there anything he needs to do?

Sorry for all of the questions, if I was the one doing it for myself I would be fine, it's just where I am handing it off to someone I want to make sure it is going to be a smooth process for them...

As for the Bellus (Bell/Telus) network, they put the HSPA overlay over all of their towers, so as far as reception goes I think it will be okay....They actually have more HSPA coverage than Rogers...but thanks for the info :)

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you use PwnageTool to jailbreak, you'll need the official sim (yours) to activate the iPhone. There's nothing really that your cousin has to do from then on. Just tell him not to update or restore the iPhone or he'll lose everything including the needed unlock.

11. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have upgrade to an iPhone 4, so I have a new sim card for that phone...Can I use my now-unactive sim card from the iPhone 3G to put in it to jailbreak? Or does it need to be "active"...

Thanks for all of your help...

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The sim card has to be active but you can run GreenPois0n or LimeRa1n over Pwnage to "hactivate" the iPhone.

No problem.

13. emac82 macrumors 6502

Would this work?

I'm not sure what the difference is between Pwnage and using this route..

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/iphone-downloads/file/92

14. emac82 macrumors 6502

Oops, forgot to ask...Could an Active Bell Sim be used instead to unlock it, instead of going the Hactivate route...

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

16. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Hactivating won't affect the iPhone if that's what you're thinking. I don't have much knowledge about Canadian carriers but you can try.

17. emac82 macrumors 6502

I was thinking more along the lines that I don't have an active Rogers sim to put it in and thought that might be easier than trying to hactivate...

I found the link to GreenPois0n, but it doesn't suggest that it supports the iPhone 3G...will it work?

I restored my iPhone, so I'm assuming it is back to the original OS..How can I update it to OS4? Can that be done during jailbreak?

Again, sorry for all the questions...

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The sim to activate the phone on the carrier that its locked to doesnt have to be active.
    Even old inactive sims will activate the phone and get you into the homescreen.

19. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Asking questions is how you learn, no problem. I forgot you had a 3G. GreenPois0n is not going to work for 4.0, you'll need Redsn0w 0.9.6b2

To update to you can find the iOS ipsw files here at: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

But don't update the iPhone just yet though iTunes. You have to use PwnageTool first. Follow this guide here: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12363

20. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

That I didn't know. You learn something new every day:cool:

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, I got a few old deactivated AT&T sims laying around that I use to activate iphones after a restore. Even gophone sims will do the trick:)

22. emac82 macrumors 6502

Awesome, I just wish I had the iPhone here with me so I could do it now, lol...It'll have to wait until tomorrow night!!

Thanks to all for your help! :)

23. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You're welcome:apple:

24. emac82 macrumors 6502

So to be clear.... I use Redsn0w first, and the the Pwnage tool?

25. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

PwnageTool first to create a custom ipsw > Restore in iTunes > Redsn0w to "hactiviate"