Quick question regarding power adaptors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by byke, Mar 25, 2011.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Ok, I am slightly embaressed to ask this question but don't want to make a mistake. Basically I have a European iphone4 and a European ipad2 - can I use the same power block to recharge them or does each one have different current.? Cheers

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPad charger kicks out more juice. It will charge both but some will say it'll eventually damage your iPhone battery. Apple disagree tho.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPad charger kicks out more juice. It will charge both but some will say it'll eventually damage your iPhone battery. Apple disagree tho.

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

Not true. The iphone will charge at the same rate with either charger. OTOH, the ipad will take twice as long to charge with the iphone adapter as the ipad adapter is rated for 2 amps while the iphone charger only puts out 1 amp.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Saying it kicks out more juice is misleading. It is capable of putting out more current, but it won't put out more than the device "wants".

You can use iPhone and iPad chargers interchangeably, but know that the 5watt iPhone charger will take twice as long to charge the iPad as the 10watt charger it comes with.

6. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

no you have to make me look if they are labled so when I pack them in the suitcase I know which belongs to which (leaving out of town tomorrow)

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The iPad charger is much bigger than the iPhone charger. You're not likely to confuse them.

8. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

mine are exactly the same I marked the iPad charger with permanent marker sorry couldn't read the specs. need daylight am kinda blind LOL