Quick Question:Windows SP3 on Bootcamp3.0

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jkim229, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jkim229 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been searching all day for answers but I can't seem to find a direct answer to what I'm looking for...maybe I'm searching the wrong terms...I'm a newbie to the mac world so please go easy on me... :eek:

So I recently got a macbook pro, I have a full WinXP Pro SP3 CD that I want to install using bootcamp. I'm going to upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard tomorrow and I was wondering if this CD is going to work with the new bootcamp.

On the protocol/pdf file, it states that WinXP SP2 and up will work....but I keep seeing posts about SP3 having/giving problems...but that's just upgrading the service pack alone that's giving problems correct? I'm installing WinXP starting from SP3...

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I had SP2 installed and the update to SP3 went fine. No problems after the update either.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It will work just fine installing from an XP SP3 disc.

4. jkim229 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the quick and straightforward replies :)

Now I'm not so hesitant in going about the process.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yup, the only problem is if you installed Windows XP SP2 with new Boot Camp 3.0 drivers. One of the drivers (AppleMNT), which allows read/write to HFS+ drives is messing with the SP3 installation. A quick disable of that driver and re-enable after installation fixes this.

6. jkim229 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just installed Snow Leopard, about to install windows xp sp3 through boot camp, now I know there's mac drivers to install when I'm in the windows system, do I just use the Snow Leopard install CD for the drivers?

Also, I need only about 20-30 GB of HD space, since I'm only using windows for gaming purposes, so I've read around and everyone says to do it in FAT format instead of NTFS and so I'm thinking to do that (something about just being readable or something) but is there any difference choosing FAT32 or just regular FAT?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yep. Just use the SL install DVD and Windows should auto-run the Boot Camp tools/drivers installer.

OS-X only has read access to NTFS, so if you need to write to the Windows partition, you'll need FAT32 or a 3rd party app.