Quick RAID setup questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by diazj3, Dec 1, 2010.

1. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Hi. This is what I've done so far:

I set a Stripped Raid Set with two drives: a Seagate 500GB @7200 and the original WD 640GB @7200. Before setting the Raid, I partitioned the latter in two: a 500GB and a 160GB, so the extra space is not lost. The Raid was created successfully (using the disk utility Raid - no special hardware).

So far, is this OK (specially the partition part)?

Now, my question is, what's the best way to migrate all my apps and data, from the original single boot drive I've been using until now, to the Raid - so the benefits of the raid are most apparent?

a) As soon as the raid was set, still inside Disk Utility, I used the Restore function, using the original boot volume as source, and the raid volume as target. This is in progress, with an eta of 4 hours, but I can stop it at any time... is this the best way?

b) Another way that occurs to me, is to clone the boot volume to the Raid using Superduper or CCC....?

c) Or perhaps I should make a clean OS install in the Raid volume, and then use migration assistant or other method to bring the apps and data to the raid?​

Or, something else I haven't thought of...?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I did letter c. a fresh install then I migrated the osx from the other hdd. both super duper and ccc failed when I used them to clone the oem hdd's osx and other software.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I went with B and have had no issues, but it has only been about 1 week.

Although I like Option C, because you get a fresh install (not as important as it was for windows, but tabula rasa is always nice).

4. diazj3, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

diazj3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks... after 3 hours, A didn't work. I'll try C now - a fresh OS reinstall might be a good idea. I'm not sure how would a direct cloning of a single volume to a Raid would hinder its performance.