Quick reply, open API?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Johndoezz10, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Johndoezz10 macrumors member

Johndoezz10

Hello,

is quick reply available for developers to implement in their app? So will quick reply work with third party apps? e.g. Whatsapp?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes, there is an API for it, and at WWDC, one of the pictures they showed used the Facebook app as an example.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yep all apps can do actionable notifications.

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Actually no, I don't think so. I've been over the docs looking for this and there doesn't appear to be any quick reply API for 3rd party apps.

Yes, any app can have actionable notifications, but they are limited to button presses, no text input that I can find.

The facebook example used buttons for like and comment, but no quick reply.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yes it's an API. FYI Banner and lock screen notifications get 2 actions. Alerts get up to 4 actions.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

They'll likely implement that for the Facebook Messenger app. I think I remember seeing a report that said they would be phasing out the Messages part of the Facebook and pushing the use of the Messenger app.

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Oh yeah, good point, sorry for confusion.

----------

He's saying it might not be possible for Facebook OR Messenger to have quick reply. Only buttons.

Although it may be a slightly special case as they're sort of integrated into the OS. But I doubt it. So unless we've missed documentation on quick reply API, I doubt FB/Messenger would be able to do this.

8. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Right but that doesn't change the fact that nowhere in the documentation, nor in the notification sessions at WWDC did they mention anything other than single action buttons as actionable notification APIs

9. Johndoezz10 thread starter macrumors member

Johndoezz10

Hmm, really confusing. Some say yes and some say no. Even on reddit they say that it will work with third party apps.

So you think that if you tap on the comment with the Facebook example, it will take you to the app?

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah. They can be background actions (e.g. Like) or UI actions (e.g. Comment). I'm pretty sure UI actions bring up the app, they can't define some custom bit of UI to put in the banner.

11. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

The problem is that a lot of people are going off of inference based on watching the keynote, rather than actually reading through the docs to see what is available. Messages doesn't have to use the same API that 3rd party developers do, so there is a good chance that they are limited text input to only Messages for now.

12. Johndoezz10 thread starter macrumors member

Johndoezz10

Ok, that i understand, but when you hear Craigh saying it will work also well with third-party apps (http://youtu.be/w87fOAG8fjk?t=52m20s) i thought that it will be accessible for every developer to implement in their app such as Whatsapp.

13. TC03 macrumors 65816

From what I've read, it's currently not possible to use a quick reply API. The only thing 3rd party developers can do is include actionable buttons in the notification. Which is a shame.

14. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Actionable buttons are stupid. It's pretty much the same thing we already have! If I wanna reply to a whatsapp message, I just touch it in notification center... Now I can click a "reply" button to do the same exact thing? Oh wow!

15. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah it's not great, although it's not totally useless, the actionable button(s) can do other things. Like mark as read or something.

16. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

I doesn't surprise me in the least that they'd keep the text input functionality locked for third parties. Typically Apple. :mad:

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Unless I am missing something it seems that developers only have access to buttons right now according to the API docs. I don't see anything for adding a text view like Messages does.

18. scar88 macrumors member

19. Johndoezz10 thread starter macrumors member

Johndoezz10

Any updates on behave of quick reply? Is it included in the latest Xcode? Will it ever be available for 3rd party apps?

20. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

I'm not 100% sure, but looking at the documents, it's not a extension-able thing.

21. Johndoezz10 thread starter macrumors member

Johndoezz10

That would be very disappointing if that would be true. I would like to see quick reply for WhatsApp, and not an extension.

22. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

I'm 99% sure that isn't currently possible with the current SDK. It is sad.

23. bushido Suspended

bushido

didnt he say during the last keynote that 3rd party apps have access to it too? i think he mentioned "posting on fb" or "a like" as an example

24. Johndoezz10, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

Johndoezz10 thread starter macrumors member

Johndoezz10

Yeah, and what's weird to is that they showed Facebook with QR. Facebook is an 3rd party app, so you would say that it will be available.

Edit; http://youtu.be/w87fOAG8fjk?t=52m53s here he is talking about QR and 3rd party apps.

25. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yep, can't wait, hopefully a few days after the release of iOS 8 to the public we'll see lots of useful updates!