Quick Reply Question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ncsmith4, Jun 2, 2014.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

If you pull down on an iMessage notification in order to read/see the whole message, but DO NOT reply at that moment, does that act mark the message as read? Or will it still show as unread when you open the Messages app, and still show as unread to the person who sent it to you?

I use that pull down frequently since I have "message preview" off. I like to be able to pull down on the notification, look at the message, but still have the "badge" on the Messages app there to remind me to reply.

Can someone with iOS 8 let me know how the new functionality works?

Thanks!

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

You can't pull down and quick reply without message preview enabled.
    Also I can't figure out how to quick reply from the lock screen even with previews on. Seems that a pass code prevents quick replies from the lock screen? I may just not have an option enabled apparently though

3. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

4. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I got it to work on lock screen with preview turned off and passcode on.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Slide the text to the left and press Reply.

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

What about in another app though?

----------

Nah, had a setting disabled. That's why.

7. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

In iOS 7, if I am in an app, when I get an iMessage, the notification just says the person's name and "iMessage." I can then pull down on the notification and it will show me what the full message text is.

Are you saying this does NOT happen in iOS 8? If you do NOT have message preview on, what happens? I'd imagine the notification still comes in, says "iMessage" but when you pull down, it doesn't show what the message is? And you can't quick reply? That seems unfortunate...

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting, didn't know iOS 7 had something like that.

9. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    iPhone 5 here and quick reply isn't working on FaceBook, is anybody else seeing this?

Thanks

10. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

They will need to update their app to take advantage. I believe what was shown is conceptual for Facebook at this point (as well as any other 3rd party apps).

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

This is exactly what happens. I wish it were like iOS7 because I don't like Previews turned on. But as of this beta 1 implementation, Quick Reply is useless if you have Previews turned off. I hope they change that.

If you got a message in iOS 7 you could pull down the notification and it would bring out Notification Center where you message would be displayed regardless of whether or not you had previews turned on.

12. illyb2000 macrumors 6502

you can still quick reply swiping left but then can't read the message !

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

which basically renders it useless because there's no way to know what you're replying to unless you open the Messages.app. I hope this gets fixed so we don't have to resort to turning on previews.

14. illyb2000 macrumors 6502

have you a reason not to turn on preview ?? jealous other half lol..

kidding I get what you mean. Hopefully be changed in the next beta.

15. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I could test this....but would rather ask - what if you pull down the notification center when a text comes in. Can you respond from the notification center (which supposedly will show the text with or without preview on)?

EDIT: Yes you can....though you either have to swipe up the banner before pulling down the notification center or let it disappear. While the banner exists, you can't access NC.

But its a work around for b1 users with preview off who want to QR without going into iMessage.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

No I just don't like the idea of random people Picking up my phone and seeing my conversations

----------

Good find! This is a nice workaround!

17. Johndoezz10, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  18. mikeabbz macrumors member

How does quick reply work with pop-ups enabled instead of banner notifications? Is it possible to quick reply from the pop-up similar to the way biteSMS operates?

19. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, it functions similar to biteSMS. Someone posted a screenshot on here but I don't remember where it was posted.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

So it sounds like this was addressed in iOS 8 beta 2.

21. brilliantthings, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Do the banners still disappear after a few seconds? Or is there a setting to keep message banners there until they're read?

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

That would be more of an alert which is a different type of notification that can be used instead of a banner that is designed to disappear.

23. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Such a shame. Banners are a much better type of notification, but for me, the disappearing is a deal breaker.

24. mr99 macrumors 6502a

There's no way they'd pop up and stay there. Too obtrusive.