Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah maybe. At least there could be an unread messages symbol in the status bar. I just find that I sometimes forget about them after they've disappeared.
That's what Apple basically sees badges being for as well as notification center itself (when you check it). They don't like to clutter the status bar so they basically don't add notification repeated items to it.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
That's what Apple basically sees badges being for as well as notification center itself (when you check it). They don't like to clutter the status bar so they basically don't add notification repeated items to it.

I think you're right. I wrote to apple anyway.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
still no way to quick rely if preview is off in Beta 4 as far as I see

this stinks, i am in the same situation, I want to use QR, but don't want people seeing messages coming in if my phone is just sitting next to me and they are looking. There should be a way to QR and the preview show ONLY when you swipe the message to read in my opinion

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
still no way to quick rely if preview is off in Beta 4 as far as I see

this stinks, i am in the same situation, I want to use QR, but don't want people seeing messages coming in if my phone is just sitting next to me and they are looking. There should be a way to QR and the preview show ONLY when you swipe the message to read in my opinion
Wasn't that addressed back in beta 2 already where if you pull down it will reveal the necessary options/information?

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
so far all i tried in beta 4 was at the lock screen, slide to left and all i get is the X to copse the message when preview is off

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
so far all i tried in beta 4 was at the lock screen, slide to left and all i get is the X to copse the message when preview is off
On the lock screen that might be different than from a banner notification when the phone is unlocked, which I think was one of the main things talked about earlier in the thread. I believe if the phone is locked and preview is turned off, then there's not much else that would be made available until the phone is unlocked likely to secure things (given that the phone is locked).

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I wish the message previews were tied to whether or not the device is currently locked or not. Imo the point of disabling message previews is so the message content doesn't show up on the lockscreen. I'm the only one that uses my iPhone, so if it is unlocked I'm using it and I would like to see the message previews in the banner. I am currently using a JB tweak in iOS 7 to only block the message preview on the lockscreen and retain the previews in the banners within the phone for the very same reason as the OP (so quick reply is still functional). I was hoping this would be implemented natively in iOS 8, but it doesn't seem like that's happening. Then again, there is still some time before the official release.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
If you pull down on an iMessage notification in order to read/see the whole message, but DO NOT reply at that moment, does that act mark the message as read? Or will it still show as unread when you open the Messages app, and still show as unread to the person who sent it to you?

I use that pull down frequently since I have "message preview" off. I like to be able to pull down on the notification, look at the message, but still have the "badge" on the Messages app there to remind me to reply.

Can someone with iOS 8 let me know how the new functionality works?

Thanks!

But you've read the message already... What you probably want is a "remind me..." button. I could see that as useful but for now you could just ask Siri to remind you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.