Quick reply SMS vs. bite SMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gravytrain84, Aug 8, 2010.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I use both because I thought they served different functions. Bite is a fancier text message app with a small notification icon on my menu and removes those pesky badges telling the world who just texted me. And bar and quick reply allows me to reply from within any app. I believe they're both worth it.

3. Tu13es macrumors regular

BiteSMS allows you to do this too..

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I just recently switched to biteSMS from iRealSMS (quickreply). I prefer iReal but it has one major bug that kills it. Whenever you are typing something on the quickreply popup, it brings up its own keyboard which is then displayed on top of the default apple keyboard. Half the time, the typing is not recognized on the top keyboard and it makes typing a horrible experience.

I can't understand why they chose to do this.

5. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I think bitesms is a pain to use and it always slows my system down.

6. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Quickreply for SMS provides lightweight integration with the native Messages app. It allows you to quickly reply from the lockscreen without unlocking or from within an already open application.

BiteSMS is its own messaging application. It has a homescreen icon and sort of replaces the stock Messages app. It has more features and if you're looking for something that will do more than allow you to reply from anywhere it might be for you.

I went with Quickreply since I'm not a heavy text user and quickly replying from where ever I am is good enough for me.

7. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I would like to try out quickreply but already started my bitesms trial.. If I delete Bite, do you know if it'll resume my trial?

8. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't you compare iRealSMS 3.0 vs biteSMS? because quickreplySMS is not an app its just an add-on to quick reply. Both iRealSMS and biteSMS are standalone apps that include quick reply features as well. I have not installed iRealSMS 3.0 yet but biteSMS is doing everything I want. I just hate that I have to sms.app on my phone. I wish I could add some of the cool features bitesms or irealsms have in their apps to my regular MobileSMS.app

Thanks
    AE

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I don't know for sure but I'd guess that it would. If trials work the same way paying for the app does then it should be able to identify your phone if you download again.

Maybe someone else will be able give a better answer.

10. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I prefer BiteSMS since it has a quick compose function.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I'm think I'm gonna stick with biteSMS, it's working great so far. That pink icon is incredibly ghey though.

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

BiteSMS work great, quick compose is great feature.....I put my unlimited txting plan to the max with Bite going over 10,000 txt a month

14. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Holy ****

15. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Wow! I don't think I've made 10,000 in the entire time I've used text messages. Way to use unlimited texting iMrNiceGuy0023! :)

16. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

huh? quick compose as in quick reply?

Anyways I just installed iRealSMS 3.0, its a cool app, very similar to biteSMS. Just that biteSMS has more features and inside the app feels better as well. I like biteSMS delay feature, and couldn't find that on iRealSMS 3.0 for some reason. It also crashed once for me already which isnt good. So i'm installing biteSMS again.

Thanks
    AE

17. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

QuickReply is my choice. Like both, but I love how QuickReply is light on resources, small in size, and integrates perfectly with the Messages app :D

18. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

It's like a quick reply feature but for sending new messages from anywhere.

19. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

BiteSMS has that too, hite the volume and tap on that small display thingy that pops up and there you have it.

To those who compare QuickreplySMS to BiteSMS, QuickreplySMS is not an app from what I see, BiteSMS can only be compared to iRealSMS 3.0 or similar. Quick reply is a feature on bitesms and iRealSMS, that allows to reply anyone. Quickreply on its own can't be compared to bitesms.

Also QuickReply For SMS looks ugly to me, why doesn't it open a small window like bitesms or iRealSMS? From the screenshot, it looks like it takes the whole screen and runs in mid air. Feels like its not native or iOS like. Anyways if you guys want the feature, get iRealQuickSMS. Its made my iRealSMS but unlike iRealSMS that has an app, it just runs the quickreply/compose feature without its own app, and uses MobileSMS.app.

Thanks
    AE

20. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

That is the reason I switched to bite sms over quick reply. I love being able to send a text from my lock screen or being able to start one anywhere. Does quick reply do that also?

21. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

I use Bitesms...it's just really cool.

I love how you can send a delayed text, setting it to send at whatever time you want :) This is especially useful if you're replying to someone who you don't want to have a "conversation" with right there and then...I don't know about you guys but often I wait to reply to someone because I don't want to imply that I want a texting convo right then.

You can have a signature, smilies show up as animations, contact pics show up (from fb if you use that feature), and it keeps track of the # of msgs you've sent.

Honestly if you text a lot splurge the $7 for it. It's worth it.

22. LoLife macrumors regular

Look in cydia they have a app for that ugly pink icon. Look for "biteSMS to RETINA" it changes that ugly pink icon to the regular green text message icon high quality too for i4

23. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

But it requires winterboard, not a fan, slows things down.

24. bmms8 macrumors 68020

+1

personally i am perfectly fine with the pink icon.. all men need a little pink on their iphone.. just one icon :p

25. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

You guys can edit the pink icon easily without winterboard. I even changed the same from bitesms to Messages.

Here is what you do:

SSH into your phone.

1) Go to /private/var/stash/Applications/MobileSMS.app

2) find icon@2x.png and copy that.

3) Go to /private/var/stash/Applications/bitesms.app

4) paste icon@2x.png that you copied there.

Note: 2x is for retina display. if you have a 3g copy icon.png. you can do this for all icons, even the lockscreen bitesms icon, and the paste bitesms icon.

Thanks
    AE