Quick Takes: Apple's Ecosystem Explained, Crumb-Resistant MacBook Keyboards, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to our standalone articles covering the latest Apple news and rumors at MacRumors, this Quick Takes column provides a bite-sized recap of other headlines about Apple and its competitors on weekdays.

Friday, March 9

Apple's ecosystem explained: YouTube tech reviewer Marques Brownlee explains why Apple's ecosystem of products and services is so strong. He also advises against becoming too locked into just one ecosystem.

Commentary: A good example of the strength of Apple's ecosystem is iMessage and its coveted blue message bubbles, which have essentially become a status symbol. As silly as it may sound, there are a countless number of tweets that mock green bubbles, which is the color Apple uses to display standard text messages.

AAPL sets all-time high closing price of $179.98: The previous record was $179.26, set on January 18, 2018. Apple's overall all-time high remains $180.62, set during intraday trading on February 28, 2018. AAPL has been on the rise since bottoming out at $150.24 on February 9 amid a wider stock market selloff.

Commentary: Apple shares have technically traded for higher prices, but today's record high factors in multiple stock splits, including a 7-for-1 split in 2014. Apple's market cap now hovers around the $915 billion mark.

[​IMG]

Timing of Apple's rumored March event: Apple typically invites the media to its special events roughly 10 to 12 days beforehand, so if there is a March event on its agenda, then we'll likely hear about it soon.
    2015: Thursday, February 26 invites -> Monday, March 9 event
    2016: Thursday, March 10 invites -> Monday, March 21 event
    2017: No event.
    2018: Thursday, March 15 invites -> Monday, March 26 event (?)
    Commentary: The big question is whether Apple will hold a media event or make its announcements via press releases as it did last year. Rumored products that could debut this month include a new iPhone SE, lower-priced 9.7-inch iPad and MacBook Air models, and the AirPower charging mat, along with iOS 11.3.

Other Reading:
    Swift is now the world's tenth most used programming language, tied with Objective-C, according to analyst firm RedMonk's analysis of GitHub and Stack Overflow data. Apple's open source programming language was released at WWDC in June 2014.
    [​IMG]

Apple has applied to patent a crumb-resistant keyboard: The patent application describes a MacBook keyboard with mechanisms that prevent contaminant ingress, which is a fancy way of saying dirt and crumbs. This could involve the use of "brushes, wipers, or flaps" that block gaps around key caps.
    For more Apple news and rumors coverage, visit our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. Also visit our forums to join in the discussion.

Article Link: Quick Takes: Apple's Ecosystem Explained, Crumb-Resistant MacBook Keyboards, and More

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Interesting. Don’t get locked into one ecosystem. Does that include google?

3. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Crumb-resistant keyboard. I like the idea. :)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---
    Describing integrated features across different products as being "hooks," shows how ignorant or biased Marques Brownlee is.

4. mkldev macrumors regular

We used to have those. They called them "removable keyboards". You just slid a couple of sliders, popped the keyboard up, hit it with a little compressed air, and you were back in business. Just saying.

5. unobtainium macrumors 68000

The iPad Pro keyboard (Smart Keyboard) is crumb resistant because it’s covered in fabric.

Apple desperately needs some solution for the new MBPs since the keyboard failure rate is astounding.

6. cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

Apple sleeping! After Steve, this company was not innovative. They sell their software development as technology. Charging is still not enough for 1 day. They change beautiful things by design! Notch Apple :)

7. focacciaman macrumors newbie

8. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I won't watch the YouTube video, but in general I think the benefits of using an integrated set of tools outweigh the fear of "lock in". You either take the pain all at once when you change from one ecosystem to another, or continuously over time in trying to make tools work together when they weren't meant to. I'll choose the former.

9. cansuds, Mar 9, 2018

cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

10. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

For all my needling of Apple, they deserve all the financial success they get. Apple sells useful products to people who want to buy them and bring more beauty/art/functionality to people's lives. Contrast this with a lot of companies that make money deceiving and outright shagging people (e.g. big banks and Google (YouTube censorship)). They remain the best at providing an integrated ecosystem...in spite of Siri.

11. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Here's a wild idea Apple - Why don't you admit to your mistake and realize that the butterfly keyboards were an indulgence in Ive's ego (much like the Trash Can Mac was) and go back to the scissor keyswitches?

12. cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

this video says why not get samsung s9 :) ecosystem allows you to use worse products. Making changes is always good.

13. krause734, Mar 9, 2018

krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Steve was quoted for the strategy of trapping young customers with iTunes, iPod, and "the cool factor."
    I was firmly in the Apple ecosystem, but I am branching out now and seeing how limited Apple products really are. For instance, the Mac Mini/Pro haven't been updated in years and I don't want an iMac. Linux Mint is a breath of fresh air.

14. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Sure, because Google doesn’t have the best software and hardware in each department. It has the best phone virtual assistant, but they’re not the best with enterprise security. No singular entity is the objective best in every category.

Apple is fantastic in enterprise security, but does not offer fast wireless charging. It’s all about balancing.

The major question for any new smartphone purchase is this: what OS works best for you?

15. nvmls macrumors 6502

nvmls

Hey to some the new mb keyboards are the best ever.. :rolleyes:

16. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

I will hand it to Google: they are pretty good about data portability. After many years of using Google Calendar, I got sick of fighting to get it to sync with MacOS and iOS native calendar apps, and decided to migrate to iCloud. I was able quite easily to download .ics files with about 12 years of calendar events and import them right into Calendar on my Mac. iCloud has been syncing perfectly for years now, and I haven't looked back for a second.

17. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I respect the fact that some people hate the butterfly keyboard, but I personally love it. So, if it was a "mistake" that Apple made the switch, it's one that I'm happy about. :)

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

He’s actually a terrible tech reviewer. I have no clue how he got so popular. He’s generic and super biased.

19. Kynmore macrumors member

Kynmore

MKBHD's videos are generally well worth the watch. I don't find him as bias as other reviewers, he truly embraces technology as a whole. Of course there are some gripes he has, but they're very relatable and most of us have them as well.

20. akidd macrumors regular

Patent for a proper keyboard? Thought they gave that up after the 2015 models?

21. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Eh, it kind of depends on which apps and services you're talking about. The fact is, Dropbox (for example) is "meant" to work with MacOS because they have developers who make sure that happens.

I use Dropbox in addition to iCloud Drive because the latter still has no way to collaborate on a shared folder. (In fact, iCloud Drive seems to only begrudgingly let you use folders at all, and is always trying to get you to put, say, Pages files in a big bucket of other Pages files, which is just insane to me, but that's a rant for another day.) Dropbox is very well integrated into the MacOS Finder, and the iOS app is solid as well.

I sync my contacts -- using the native Contacts apps on iOS and MacOS -- with Gmail through LDAP. It works very cleanly and I can use and edit my contacts through the Gmail interface when I'm on my work computer. Bonus: my contacts' photos all get automatically synced with whatever they upload to their own Gmail accounts.

And speaking of Gmail, I use that via IMAP with the native Mail client, and it works just fine. Labels are not really super compatible, but I personally found obsessively labelling my mail to be more trouble than it's worth anyway. Now I just search, and Mail's search is lightning fast. Points to iCloud Mail for offering fast push-based refreshing on iOS, while Gmail is fetch-only. I can live with the small delays, but it's a little irritating.

I will concede one big mismatch I've encountered: after years of fighting it, and even resorting to third-party stuff like Spanning Sync (RIP), I just never got Google Calendar to play well with MacOS and iOS native Calendar apps. I finally moved over to iCloud Calendars and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Maybe GCal has gotten better about this since then, but I'm fine with iCloud now.

So, I have to say, it really depends on the particulars, and I don't think you can make any sweeping statement that you can't mix cloud systems!

22. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

sidewinder3000

Marques Brownlee is a decent enough guy, and his general theory here seems alright, though it’s nothing we haven’t heard before. But I think some of the motivations that he attributes to a few things in this video are a little off.

First of all, he suggests that one of the goals Apple has every time they invent a new product is to gather more of your data, which is a bit specious. Apple sells products, not advertising, so a user’s data does not have the same sinister value for Apple that it does to Google and Amazon.

Secondly, the idea that Apple’s primary motivation is lock-in, rather than giving the user the best possible experience is a projection or speculation, not a fact. Apple didn’t invent the W1 chip to lock people into the ecosystem, they did it to make the wireless experience better and smoother because the existing Bluetooth and chip technologies in the marketplace couldn’t do what they wanted. This is true a lot of the time—Apple gets into businesses or areas where the current technology isn’t good enough. Texting sucked so they fixed it and made it better. But the reason they didn’t make Messages or FaceTime available for other formats first and foremost is that they don’t control the hardware and software of Android and other phone makers, (and there’s a lot of cheap hardware out there) so they cannot assure a high level customer experience the way they traditionally like to.

It all goes back to the early days when a lot of third party companies didn’t make hardware/software that was Mac compatible, so Jobs and Apple often had to roll up their sleeves and make some of their own hardware and software out of necessity, lest Mac buyers might be so underserved that they leave the platform.

Thirdly, and this cannot be emphasized enough, every other manufacturer out there would love to keep you in their ecosystem—they just aren’t as good at it!

23. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Because that would make MacBooks 2mm thicker and we can't have that! :rolleyes:

24. citysnaps macrumors 68040

I agree. My typing speed and accuracy on my 2017 MBP are noticeably better, coming from a MacBook Air. I also like the keyboard feel much better as well.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---
    No thanks. See above...

25. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

What is it you need to be able to do in Linux, that you can't do on a Mac?

Years ago, I used Linux (Mint and others). I liked the security. However, outside of a different UI than Windows (at the time) I found that Linux was not an OS (at the time) that easily integrated with my needs and other products at the time.

If you are a person that has to be able to tinker around all the time with your products and have to have a new themed UI on a regular basis, I can see why Linux appeals.