Quicken 2015 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScottNWDW, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I can't believe I just saw this on the App Store :eek:. Quicken Essentials for Mac has been dropped and now there is a Quicken 2015. It looks like it has a lot of features, but at $75 not ready to jump on that bandwagon and upgrade from my Quicken Essentials just yet. I do like the fact that it is compatible with the Quicken iOS apps for iPad and iPhone. (the iOS app is free) It was just released today, so I will wait a few weeks to upgrade and do that after my vacation if the reviews are good.

2. bevo macrumors regular

Curious about it, but its a lot of money to put down ..

3. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

It is a lot of money to put down... this being the first major release for Quicken for Mac in what... 7 years?

I already run Quicken 2012 on Windows. Quicken (Intuit) sunsets the Quicken software after a number of years, at least the online access portion of the software. For me, I now have to decide in 2015 to keep running Quicken on Windows, or move it to Mac. Quicken Windows has five versions. What's not clear is which one of these the Mac version is equivalent to. Based on the price point, I'm guessing Deluxe, but who knows. The Mac version is $10 more than the supposed Windows equivalent...

As the OP said... time to wait for the reviews.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Inuit's track record for Quiken for the Mac has never been too good, so waiting for reviews is definitely the way to go.

As for the cost, 75 I wonder why its so much more then the PC version.

5. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

Quicken/Intuit lost me a couple of years ago. I was running Windows on my Mac only for Quicken and finally got fed up. Switched to iBank and find that it more than meets my needs.

I continue to use Intuit's TurboTax but would find it difficult to pay $75 for a new version of Quicken given their poor track record of supporting it on the Mac platform.

6. mic j macrumors 68030

Lot's of Mac options out there for simple personal accounting. Quicken is really only needed for people wanting detailed investment tracking. Not worth the price, not worth the need to update every 3 years to maintain download functionality.

I moved on a couple years ago and am not missing it at all.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Unfortunately, if you need this, Quicken 2015 still isn't equal to the Windows version. I run a Windows VM on a server solely to run Quicken, and it looks like I'll continue to do so.

8. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I also switched to iBank and like it (after the change learning curve). No plans to ever go back to Quicken at any price.

I also switched from TurboTax to TaxAct Online and find that I like it better and it is substantially cheaper -- for new customers $21.99 (cheaper for returning customers) and that includes federal and state and free e-filing for both. You don't pay or give a credit card until you are ready to print or file so you can try it free.

9. kytiger macrumors newbie

It's not that hard

Why in the world doesn't Intuit just simply port over Quicken for Windows to the Mac? In today's world it's rare to see a company as dumb as Intuit.

10. mattjohnson78 macrumors member

I was using the Beta and find it too buggy and not worth the $75.

11. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

I was also in the Beta program and think the release was premature. However, I do feel that the software is going in the right direction. I was a little overwhelmed by sticker shock, but I have been with Quicken for so long, I decided to drop the coins to purchase it. For me, the extra money doesn't outweigh the time I'd have to invest to learn new software.

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

Wait just so I read this correctly.. you used a Beta and it was buggy? Is that correct? Just checking..

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, his point is that the release version is not ready for general consumption. As some point beta releases need to be somewhat stable and major bugs addressed.

14. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Just went to the App Store and could not find the Quicken iOS app...would you mind pointing me in the right direction...thanks...

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here you go.

16. mattjohnson78 macrumors member

The last Beta they released was to be the one they are releasing for sale, with minor changes. It still had bugs they never fixed and many of the testers said it wasn't ready for release.

Mint.com which is made by the same company works much better and has the same look and details works much better with better accuracy. Why can't they get it right? Even the windows version works better.

17. mattjohnson78 macrumors member

Just be sure to read all the reviews in the App Store and you will see how buggy the app is. I can't believe they released the app after so many of the testers were saying it wasn't ready.

I still haven't found a decent app for personal finances so I am sticking with Mint.com since its at least free.

18. aksmax macrumors member

Don't be fooled by the name...

I jumped the gun and assumed (yes, I know) this was the long awaited Quicken 2007 successor. What it actually is is a renamed Quicken Essentials. All the big missing pieces are still missing. Well, most of them. Hopefully it lays the groundwork for improvements, and they actually have user-voting on missing functionality. But if Essentials wasn't enough for you, this isn't either... yet.

And the price tag is a lot to ask, considering this is a placeholder "upgrade". At least there's the 60 day money back guarantee...

19. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Agreed....

I went to the Intuit / Quicken website and looked under the comparison tab where one can vote on the missing functionality. I voted for my top three -- one can only vote for three items -- and await their hopefully addition.

Reading through the comments it appears as though I am in essentially the same boat as others in that were a fully functional version of Quicken be available for the OS X platform than I would have no / little need to run a Windows VM which is more or less run for Quicken.

With a little luck this will get sorted in time.

Thanks,

Joel

PS. Per my earlier post still waiting for someone to point me to the Quicken tracking app for iOS.

20. dholaday macrumors member

Joel: The link you are looking for is in Weaselboy's post - #15 in this thread.

Duncan

21. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Thanks...

Well, problem solved NOT available in Canada which explains why I could not find it...thanks Quicken!

22. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Just saw this. $75 seems like quite a bit, maybe since I don't have that many requirements.

Quicken Essentials is doing exactly what I need. Tracking the funds in my accounts. I really don't even care to know where I'm spending my money (I keep a $0-based budget in Numbers to know how much I'm spending where). Am I maybe missing any features that would justify the extra cost? I know I can't sync with my bank accounts but to be honest, I don't think I've ever been able to do that with QE.

23. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

The only major improvement worth mentioning is the mobile sync. If you don't do that, then QE is the way to stay.

24. scozzer macrumors newbie

scozzer

Disaster after downloading and installing Quicken2015

Downloaded and installed Quicken 2015 yesterday.
    Then I transferred and converted my Essentials file using the same file name in both versions. Disaster. Duplicate accounts now in both versions, plus names and account numbers crossed. Not able to update half of my accounts in either version even though user names & passwords are all correct. Some of the accounts that have updated are with the same bank as other accounts that won't update.
    Tried restoring older backups to Essentials to no avail.
    So now both Essentials and Quicken 2015 are unusable.
    Mint recognizes them all passwords and so do the individual account web sites.
    Trouble is Mint is not capable of the annual "Reports" that Quicken has given me for the last several years.
    Any advice welcome.
    Phil

25. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I, too, moved to iBank some years ago and have been quite satisfied. I sync my iPhone via webdav to my own synology NAS, and it works perfectly.

I'll be interested to read the reviews over the coming weeks of Quicken 2015. But it's very doubtful that I'll make the switch.