• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a blog posting, Intuit reports that the much-delayed Quicken Financial Life for Mac, initially slated for release in 2008, will now be released in February 2010.
We know you've heard this before. In early 2008, we told you we'd release Quicken Financial Life for Mac later that year. 2008 came and went and we did not. At Macworld 2009, we told you it would be later this year.

But after speaking to customers at Macworld 2009, and opening our public beta of Quicken Financial Life for Mac to thousands of you, we learned the product was not doing what we – nor customers – wanted it to do.

We listened, and we learned.
As a result of the feedback from Mac customers, Intuit redesigned Quicken Financial Life from the ground up to add additional features and create a more "Mac-like" feel for the application. Pre-orders will be taken at Quicken.com beginning October 12th, 2009.

Article Link: Quicken Financial Life for Mac Delayed to 2010

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I think they are delaying it because Quicken 2007 works almost perfectly in Snow Leopard (once you install Rosetta). Still, Intuit should be ashamed that 2007 of anything is the latest version... especially later this year when we're going into 2010.

Comment

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
I'm actually pleased to hear this. The screenshots and beta were comically terrible and it's encouraging to hear that Intuit now realize this as well. Here's hoping that they can manage to build a good application between now and Early 2010.

Comment

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I'm finally tired of running 2007 in Rosetta... I'm going to start keeping a VM with XP running so I can use the 2009 Windows version.

Comment

Djehuti

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
Done.

I'm pretty much done using Intuit products for good; this just seals the deal. Mint.com is free.

Comment

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Pathetic

When I called them in 2007, they seemed to be completely unaware that their software didn't run natively on new macs.

It's not surprising that it's taking them this long--apparently no one let them in on the "big secret" that macs were going/had gone Intel.

Since I knew that, at least at the time, some math heavy programs got bad calculations through Rosetta, I wasn't about to risk buying their PowerPC version.

Coming out with their first Intel version almost 5 years after the MacIntel announcement is ludicrous. I hope people will find alternatives rather than upgrading to this new version.

Comment

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
What a complete waste! I've been using Moneywell for a few months and love it! Can't wait for the Moneywell iPhone version to come out!

Comment

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Garbage! I was actually looking forward to this. Sadly, I will still continue to use quicken through bootcamp. After 10 years of use, it's hard to justify switching to something else.

Comment

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah ... but

I'm not so sure I want to put all my financial info out on Mint.com's servers.
They're eventually going to become a target for some smart hacker, who will wind up downloading a copy of everyone's bank info.

Sure, it can happen already with everyone's bank and credit card offering online billpay, etc. -- but at least all your info isn't consolidated in one place.

I've been looking at that iBank software though. Seems like it offers, today, much of what Intuit keeps promising for next year.

I'm pretty much done using Intuit products for good; this just seals the deal. Mint.com is free.

Comment

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
The disparity between the Windows and Mac versions of Quicken and Quickbooks is huge - I'd just be glad if Intuit brought the two families together into products that actually worked the same way on both platforms.

I hope by making the products do what customers want it to do, that includes a way to convert from Quicken 2007 and older files into Financial Life. For that matter, would cross-platform compatibility of Quicken files kill Intuit to implement?

The more I think this through, the more I think I'm going to use the intervening time to find a new alternative at least to Quicken. It's harder to replace Quickbooks because it's so entrenched.

Comment

bladerunner88

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
Why the Hell is the Intuit CEO still sitting on the Apple Board of Directors?
What with the complete disdain, and lack of support he and his company continue to demonstrate towards Macintosh users....

Comment

cottington

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I'm glad to hear they decided to do a complete redesign. Did you see that beta? That thing was an offense to the eyes and I highly doubt anybody taking their money seriously would have given it half a wink. I know I certainly wasn't going to buy it. Granted, it was a beta, but you could see the direction they were going with it.

Comment

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2007
The Mac versions of Quicken have been inferior to the Windows versions for several years now. The fact that QFL is taking so long to get right is more proof of Intuit's complete incompetence with the Mac platform.

Comment

Izzy

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2002
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
This thing is vaporware. Given all the delays, I wouldn't be surprised if it is never released.

I've downloaded and tried a number of applications but they all seem to be missing some vital features. I have been using iBank, which is acceptable but I think there is a big hole in this market space for a developer to come in and design an awesome personal money manager. They need to have the product designed by someone who understands banking and personal finance so that it is intuitive and powerful. It would be so cool if Apple would just build this themselves.

Comment

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
...I think there is a big hole in this market space for a developer to come in and design an awesome personal money manager. They need to have the product designed by someone who understands banking and personal finance so that it is intuitive and powerful. It would be so cool if Apple would just build this themselves.

This is so true.

Comment

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I'm not so sure I want to put all my financial info out on Mint.com's servers.
They're eventually going to become a target for some smart hacker, who will wind up downloading a copy of everyone's bank info.

Sure, it can happen already with everyone's bank and credit card offering online billpay, etc. -- but at least all your info isn't consolidated in one place.

I've been looking at that iBank software though. Seems like it offers, today, much of what Intuit keeps promising for next year.

Most of the information is already consolidated in one spot. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be bad if their servers got hacked but I think it is a relatively minor issue when compared to how easy it is to steal your identity without hacking a server.

Comment

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
i would like to see an iphone app that will sync with quicken. i've been using quicken for years, and would really like the ability to enter information on the go and sync it up when i'm near my computer over wifi.

Comment

embraceware

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
I think they should rename the product to "Slowin' Retirement Life for Mac"... There isn't anything "Quick" about Inuit here.

Comment

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I've used Quicken products for a number of years, but all I do is use it to keep track of my bank accounts. For these simple tasks, Quicken Online [free] and Quicken Mobile for iPhone [free] do the job better than Mint or anything else out there.

I have no need for desktop finance software anymore. :)

Comment

maconservative

macrumors regular
May 1, 2006
Republic of Texas
Intuit will need to work hard to regain what little "respect" they had in the Mac community. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with a complete, from the ground up, redo of this software. I welcome the attempt at a more Mac-like interface. But honestly, if there isn't feature or database parity with the Windows version of Quicken, I find this a huge waste. We have multiple computers in the house, both Macintosh and Windows, and it would be nice to be able to access the data seamlessly on different platforms.

Comment

wwjdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
I've used Quicken products for a number of years, but all I do is use it to keep track of my bank accounts.

I have no need for desktop finance software anymore. :)

I was just thinking the same thing. What I used the Quicken Windows version for was more IRA and trading records. It's not all that great at it, but seems better than others I've tried. But I haven't kept up bank accounts for a couple of years now, and find that there really isn't a reason to put that info into a product like Quicken--it's basically a duplication of effort for very little gain, given the state of the art of bank sites.

Apparently developers still think Macs are only for artistic people and not mainstream business or productivity. I think they are very wrong.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.