"Quicken Financial Life" = Quicken 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roderick Usher, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

Anyone catch this over at Ars Technica?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/15/macworld-ars-quicken-no-more

They have a few screenshots too.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the link. Had not seen this news.

Intuit must be nuts. No UB update until August and even then it will not support the features we have now.

Looks like I'll just stick with Quicken 2005.

3. portent macrumors 6502a

Yet another win for Intuit.

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Apple really needs to create a slick full featured financial software package, call it iMoney or something Apple-ish.

The sooner Quicken is rendered irrelevant, the better. Then we won't have to bear the insult of being offered a dumbed-down and feature-stripped product offered up as an afterthought.

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

At least their trying to adjust more assets to the Mac platform. Its increasing at an impressive rate in the home environment and their current offering for personal finances is a joke. If they end up being solid contender (and that wouldn't be hard) for a money managing software that is actually stable and feature rich, I'll have no problem purchasing a copy.

Right now its just baby steps but at least to me it shows loads of promise.

6. Macpple macrumors newbie

I have been searching for a Quicken alternative and came across iBank. Has anyone tried this product? Here is the link for iBank.

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

7. etandrib macrumors newbie

Cha Ching

cha-ching is a pretty good app. It is super simple and does a decent job. I think it is $40 too. You can get it in the MacHeist bundle that is being advertised everywhere as well.

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'm looking for a Quicken alternative that will use downloaded financial files I download from my bank (probably quicken files) to reconcile my account. If they'd handle that, I'd bolt from Quicken. I really just need a checkbook. But I really rely on those downloaded finance files for quick reconciliation.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

iBank is good, farfarfarfar better than Cha-Ching...v3 is out soon

10. Roderick Usher thread starter macrumors regular

AppleInsider has a bit more info on Quicken's replacement, and somewhat better screenshots.

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

We're still on Quicken 2006. It does the job, with a few quirks. I wish they could add features on top of Q2k, and not have a whole new deal. I'm waiting for the one where you can collaspe a register so that only non-reconciled transactions appear. I have registers that go back years and scrolling is a PITA.

Can anyone with the beta confirm that "splits" still exist with QFL? The screen shots made it look like splits were gone.

ft

12. Roderick Usher thread starter macrumors regular

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you look at the 3rd screenshot on AppleInsider, one of the tags reads --split--

14. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

iBank is definitely recommended.

15. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

iBank 3 Beta

I saw iBank 3 beta today at Macworld and it is even better. It looks really good. I am not waiting for Intuit, as soon as v3 of iBank comes out, I will pay for it and and finally have a viable Quicken replacement app. These guys seem to be listening to the needs of the clients and are delivering.

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank3/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks awesome in my opinion.

16. elmo151 Guest

I recall that the CEO of Quicken is on Apples Board :rolleyes:

17. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I'm a long time Quicken user on a PC and will be buying my first Mac Mini as soon as I have my tax refund in hand. While out buying Turbo Tax for my PC I grabbed Quicken 2007 for Mac to take advantage of the discount. Like someone else posted I'm heavily dependant on the downloads from my bank into Quicken. Is Quicken 2007 similar to the PC version or does it have a lot less features? I use it mostly for banking but have been thinking of loading my portfolio into it. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

18. Evader macrumors newbie

Quicken 2007 (mac) is terrible in comparison to quicken for PC, there is no comparison a lot of missing features.

I wonder if this quicken financial life for mac will be much different than the newly launched www.quickenonline.com

I tried iBank 3 and it looks great but the only Canadian bank it supports is ING Direct :(

19. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

That looks interesting and I'm in the mode to move more applications online.

20. Evader macrumors newbie

it's an interesting idea, but they've implemented it in a very Intuit way. lots of bugs, and very half-assed. I would highly suggest using https://moneycenter.yodlee.com/ instead. It's very feature rich.

21. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Thanks. Does this support direct downloads from banks? I've been using the direct Quicken download from Wells Fargo for many years and don't want to mess with that aspect.

22. Evader macrumors newbie

It definitely does. it does almost everything you can think of. it even gets my airmiles and aeroplan points balance automatically. so on 1 page I can see about 15 different sites that I normally look at. It'll also email or text message you at whatever set point you want (i.e. withdrawl over $500 from account, deposit over XXX, etc)

oh, and it's FREE

23. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Haven't heard anymore about this. Anyone know what the stage of development this is in? They haven't started beta testing, which makes me think this will not be on schedule for a fall release.

24. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

It amazes me how tight lipped Intuit is about Quicken Financial Life. They introduced it many many months ago, said it would be released this fall, and we never heard anymore about it. Supposedly beta testing should have been underway. If it is, then the beta testers are really secretive about it. Not even Apple could keep a secret so well.

Anyone out there have any info on QFL?

25. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

yes I ahve heard of QFL. it is actually Quicken 2009 for Mac.

Here is the link:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance/mac-personal-finance.jsp?lid=site_banner

I have tried iBank but it really sucks. I love the screen shots but I cant get the iPhone app to work and I also dont have an option to put credit limits on my credit cards. I can't get any assitance. I have posted on their forums and everyone looks but know one has any input. They also dont have phone support.

I use Quicken 2007 right now, and it is ok for Mac, not as great for PC. I think that QFL will blow iBank out of the water. Quicken is a great finance software, and has been for many years. The fact they are redesigning QFL for Mac from the ground up, I think will make Quicken for Mac a solid platform.