Quicken Financial Life - When???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tlester, Sep 18, 2008.

1. tlester macrumors newbie

Hi all -

Does anyone have any idea of when Quicken Financial Life will be available for public consumption? I'm 100% mac... no windows... but Quicken 2007 sucks so bad that I'm a hair away from having to get a VM, Windows, and the Window version of Quicken. Which I really do not want to do.

Also... has anyone successfully been invited to the QFL beta program? I can't find anyone that Intuit has actually responded to.

Is this just vapor-ware? Like Quicken 2008 for Mac was?

2. junior77 macrumors regular

I think I read somewhere....Winter 2008/2009. Not sure which hemisphere we're talking...

Probably the one software I hated to switch over from was Microsoft Money to Quicken. 2007 isn't that bad, but it's not reallly good either. I'm upset that I had to buy it to work with Leopard!!

3. cptsopiens macrumors newbie

beta tester no go

I haven't heard back from them after signing up to be a beta tester:( I have been using MS Money via Parallels since I got my Macbook last year, but now they won't let me continue automatic online updates unless I pay $30. I am ready to be done using parallels and go to Quicken on the Mac, assuming it works better than the last one.

4. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

The choices in the UK for book keeping/accounts software is even worse. MYOB FirstEdge appears to be the only software with any sort of commitment to the Mac. So I'm going to give it a try.

5. iggypop macrumors member

alternatives to quicken

There are numerous developers offering Mac-based personal finance solutions, so no one needs to suffer with Quicken. A fast search on Google should present users with a wide range of options.

I recommend iBank 3, but I would - I work for the publisher. So you don't have to take my word for it... see this review that appeared online over the weekend: http://www.akappleug.org/reviews/2008/09/19/ibank-3/

6. jofallon macrumors newbie

Quicken etc.

Using Quicken 2008 Premier under XP Pro under VMware Fusion 2 in unity mode on a MacPro with 6 gigs of RAM is expensive, but it's just as fast as a native app. Quicken 2007 and Moneydance work well enough for checking etc, but for investments they aren't very good. For me, iBank was so slow in version 2 ( a minute to load 6 years of data), I can't see why I'd pay for the upgrade.

I'm signed up for the QFL beta but have heard nothing. Rewriting a niche product in Objective C is probably not Intuit's highest priority.

7. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I think Microsoft developers are working on Quicken Financial Life, or at least it seems considering how long it's been since we last heard a word about its progress.

I also signed up for the beta testing, but haven't heard a word from them. I don't think they are in beta testing yet because I would think (perhaps wrongly so) that MacRumors and other sites would have posted some screen shots from readers who couldn't wait to spill the beans.

Here's hoping QFL comes out soon... Quicken 2007 is really a piece of crap!

8. iggypop macrumors member

Well... that's why they're called "upgrades." :) iBank 3 was rebuilt from the ground up to run exclusively in Leopard. It's faster and more feature-rich, including Direct Connect to most banks, loan management, great portfolio and investment management, iPhone sync (via MobileMe), etc.

Download a free trial of iBank 3.2 at http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/index.php

And given my acknowledged bias here... I'll reiterate that there are LOTS of alternatives to Quicken for Mac users. Happy hunting.

9. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Well, the software appears to do all I need it to, and I fully expect to work up through the packages as my needs grow. BUT, and it is a big early BUT, I can't believe that registration of the software is not automated. What this means is that while I can create company files, when I return to open them I can't at the moment because I have to allow MYOB/Mamut time to register my software (for which they estimate 48 hrs) before I can authorize the individual company files - every time you start a company file you have to let them know, because you are restricted to a total of five, even with the more expensive packages.

10. pprior macrumors 65816

There are very few (if any) however that will work easily with online bill pay and online banking. This is a must for me and I've looked 3-4 times over hte last several years for options at dumping quicken. Everytime I've looked I've found either products that don't support online bill pay or user boards full of people having problems using them.

At least with quicken for windows, even though I had to add memory and run parallels it works. I hate intuit with a passion and would JUMP at the first application that would import my quicken file (10+ years of data and pay all my bills through quicken) and run with it. In fact I'd pay $100+ without batting an eyelash if there was a native mac program that would painlessly switch me over from quicken for windows.

11. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I'm going to keep posting my experiences of MYOB FirstEdge here as I get used to the software - hopefully it will help others in making their choice. As I said previously, the activation was manual, but it got done within the promised 48 hrs. However, no confirmation email sent to confirm this, instead I just kept trying the activation until it worked and within two days it did.

The software earned a gold star today for its ability to customize invoice layout. Nice and easy, and I will soon be putting company logo in, etc.

12. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

To me, the lack of a Quicken for Mac that is in parity with Qucken for Windows is a HUGE roadblock for consumer acceptance of Macs. Apple has made so many strides towards wide spread acceptance and market competitiveness with Windows in recent years and yet Intuit totally undervalues the potential of Quicken on a Mac. Apple should just buy Intuit and compete head to head with Microsoft on its Money offering

It's my understanding that QuickBooks for Mac sucks too.!

On the other hand, Steve Jobs hasn't asked me my opinion yet.

As I have indicated in another discussion, I am trying out iBank again. Hopefully, it does what I want! Any comments on iBank?

13. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I found an article on one of the tech sites that mentioned that QFL was in beta and was expected to be released this winter. Apparently my Googling skills suck because I can't find the article again.

14. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Reviving an old thread here, but the OP asked "Does anyone have any idea of when Quicken Financial Life will be available for public consumption?"

I signed up for the beta months ago and today - out of the blue, really - I get an email from intuit giving me a link to download the beta. It goes on to say that they expect to release it in the summer of 2009. I guess I'll be downloading this and playing with it tonight.

James

15. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I just got the beta also. Going to play around with it after work.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Doah, no love for me. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about having to wait til "summer of 09" after having waited two years. Since I know iBank will now accurately import my Quicken file and not screw up my gazillions of accounts (and directly connect to all of my online accounts), that's probably where my money will be going shortly.

17. prfectjon macrumors newbie

I just received a beta email myself letting me know that due to overwhelming demand they do not have any space for me and to just sit tight until summer 2009 (in so many words). I signed up about 3 weeks ago which hurt my chances I'm sure. Oh well, I'll just keep running Quicken '08 under Fusion for the forseeable future. :(

18. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I signed up months ago & just got an e-mail saying there was no room for me in the beta testing.

19. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Same for me too, I wasn't selected for the beta testing. I've been waiting for this since 2006! Oh well, I guess I can wait until summer, I'll just save my money for something else.

20. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

I got picked as well. So far, I'm kinda luke warm on this thing, but haven't played with it much yet.

21. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Please keep us posted on the software, or at least keep me posted. I'm not sure how much you can talk about, but if it's nothing exciting, I may go with iBank. I tried out a bunch of software a few months ago, and I think iBank was the best, although I wasn't 100% sold on it. For some reason, I like Quicken 2006 better, maybe because I've been using it for 2 years, but it feels like a product that's 6 years old.

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I applied for the beta a while back and yesterday I got an email stating that they were opening the beta little more. The link was not secure or anything and didn't require a login. I think this must be pretty much an open beta for anyone who signed up.

I played with it a little last night and downloaded my transactions from Bank of America with Direct Connect. In previous Mac versions I couldn't do that. I could not find anywhere how to accept downloaded transactions. In Quicken Windows, you get a separate screen for downloaded transactions where you compare, accept all, etc. I also could not find any section for bill payments. I have not written a check in years and do all my bill payments electronically via bill pay in Quicken to Bank of America.

In my limited use so far, QFL seems to be a slick looking bank account register. Nowhere near the features or functionality of the Windows product. Granted, this version is a beta and it may not be feature complete yet.

23. jofallon macrumors newbie

QFL beta

I signed up for the beta and never received an email. After seeing this, I found the beta sign up page on the QFL Mac site, gave 'em my email, and there was the download link to the disk image. Must be an open beta now. I guess I'll try it...

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Good point. If you simply fill out the form now they'll let you download the beta. Installing it now.