Quickest way to switch between multiple windows of same application?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by bjb.butler, May 18, 2015.

1. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Specifically, I'm talking about Microsoft Word. I often have multiple windows open and need to switch between them frequently. At the moment, I'm keeping them in full-screen mode and using the four finger swipe gesture to move between them. It works okay, but if you swipe to other applications, then Command + Tab back to Word, it'll mess up the order of the full screen apps, so you might have Safari or iTunes in between your two Word documents.

Command + Tab cycles through the applications you have running, not individual windows. Is there a way (either built-in or with a third-party app) to replicate the Alt + Tab shortcut on windows, where it cycles through all open windows, regardless of application?

Thanks in advance

2. gr8tfly, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

For frontmost app, CMD-` or CMD-SHIFT-` to select in reverse, will cycle through its windows. But, I don't know of one that does this regardless of app. I would think using CMD-tab to get back to the app, then the CMD-` would work.

('`' is the '~' key)

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Just to make sure - are you aware of the second four finger gesture, the one that shows only one app's windows? (doesn't work in fullscreen)

4. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

This no longer appears to work in El Capitan.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Which bit, the gesture or the kdb shortcuts?

6. Icarus3000 macrumors newbie

i don't know if this helps but i think i do the same thing for Logic- same application running on different windows.

I've set up in system preferences, keyboard, shortcuts, mission control and set up keyboard short cuts option key 1, option key 2 etc to switch to screen 1,2 etc etc

hope that works for ya

Attached Files: