Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
awesome call man... i'm installing itnow

it's also on apple's home page....

i'm guessing they wanted it out to stream the keynote... interesting that it should come out 2 days before the show though. makes one wonder if they just want to save the focus for other, bigger things....

thebt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Belgium
The keynote stream will (should :confused: ) be much better with QT6 I think!

We'll see it in 2 days from now!!!

Counting.... :D

thebt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Belgium
If I remember, the old QT Pro 5 keys won't work, but the newwer QT5 keys should work. But I cant test it, because I have an old key :(

Noticed the new Quicktime icon in the Dock?!!! Cooool :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: Better picture of icon

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

duh. i don't know why i didn't change the dock size before i took the picture....

good work

Perhaps you have been doing too many jelloshots already today??? :eek: :eek: :D

I downloaded and installed QT6 on OS 9.2.2 here at work, but I didn't bring in my QT Pro keys today. When I get home, I will update QT on my TiBook. I purchased those keys with the latest version 5, after I got my new TiBook. I hope they work with QT 6. I will let you all know after I find out...

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
My QT5 Pro key, purchased all of three months ago, was basically laughed at by the QT6 installer.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this, I'm used to Pro keys lasting for a couple of versions. This one lasted three months. OK, so there's a royalty issue involved with the MPEG-LA stuff, but this is a pretty lousy way to handle it. Why not a $10 fee for QT5 Pro users (who would have to provide a registration code to qualify)? I'm sure that'd cover any royalty they're having to pay.

Somehow I suspect people with QT5 keys being forced to buy a new key is part of the deal they cut to get the royalties thing sorted out. I'm bet they're more than making up on anything they're having to pay in royalties with all the extra keys they're forcing people to buy.

Al

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
looks like i won't be upgrading just yet. i use my QT Pro features all the time.
i just bought it too. this sucks that it won't work.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by tjwett
looks like i won't be upgrading just yet. i use my QT Pro features all the time.
i just bought it too. this sucks that it won't work.

I'll probably buy the Pro version just because it will be my first Pro Quicktime. :D

Hey does anyone know if the trailers at the Apple site require QT6 already? Are there any sites that support the MPEG-4 codec yet?

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I really hope that the keynote is MPEG-4. I've been looking at Apple's MPEG 4 samples and I'm quite impressed with the compression and quality of the videos.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I really don't see how people can be complaining about paying for new Pro keys for QT6.

The new technology built into QT6 far exceeds anything in the last two updates. MPEG4 and all that it entails cost quite a bit to license, and I'm more than willing to pay for that new functionality.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Let me add to ya' Rower...

You really aren't paying that much for a key, anyways. You get all these features and these basic additives, which you don't see in the free version, for only $30. I mean, in the computer world of software, you can't really do much w/$30. It's not like you are being asked to pay for to watch movies in full screen (BTW there is a way to do that for free...ask if you don't want the Pro version!) or to convert file types. You pay a simple sum of money to get MPEG-4 playback and editing, making your own videos, and formatting them to the way you like it.

I am willing to get the Pro Version, but right now my parents are strapped tight for money.

daytona63

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
Pro Keys

When the QT6 Public Preview was released, Apple did explicitly say, in writing on the website, that QT5 Pro Keys would work with the Public Preview only and that new ones would be necessary. I checked on this before I went to buy my key, and it kept me from doing so... Besides, like others have been saying, QT6 is a whole new QT, really, not just a simple upgrade, so I don't mind paying for the new Keys.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If anyone else bothered to read the 'Important Information' that pops up when you are within the installer you would see...

Note to QuickTime Pro Users
Because QuickTime 6 includes new royalty bearing technologies, a new QuickTime Pro key is required to unlock pro functionality in QuickTime 6. In addition to the abundance of media authoring capabilities in prior versions, QuickTime 6 Pro also provides the ability to create ISO compliant MPEG-4 files and encode MPEG-4 video and AAC audio. Visit the Apple Store <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/buy/> to purchase a QuickTime 6 Pro key.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
my old key worked too.... and someone else's worked too...

weird.

not sure what the specifics are of which do/don't have to be updated... steve will probably clear this up....

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Hmm... yeah right Apple. Like hell if I'm giving you ANOTHER $30 for Quicktime Pro...! :rolleyes: Of course, if I install it and find out that my QT5Pro key works, I'll be fine dining on those words of mine. :p

[Update: Nope, no go. It laughed at me too when I fed it my QT5Pro key. Then again, my email from Apple only says "Quicktime Pro Key for MacOS and MacOSX". NOWHERE does it specify that it's only for QuickTime 5. Wonder if they can get away with that? Oh wait, of course they can! :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be "suffering" with QT5 Pro. Stuff it, Apple! :p ]

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Hemingray
Hmm... yeah right Apple. Like hell if I'm giving you ANOTHER $30 for Quicktime Pro...! :rolleyes: Of course, if I install it and find out that my QT5Pro key works, I'll be fine dining on those words of mine. :p

[Update: Nope, no go. It laughed at me too when I fed it my QT5Pro key. Then again, my email from Apple only says "Quicktime Pro Key for MacOS and MacOSX". NOWHERE does it specify that it's only for QuickTime 5. Wonder if they can get away with that? :p ]

You are complaining about spending $30 for a QT6 Pro key??? Man, you are one cheap pr*ck. :eek: :eek: :p

I will be getting mine tonight, since you don't pay tax or such nonsense when you do it online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.