QuickTime 7.0.3 Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now available via Software Update:

QuickTime 7.0.3 delivers several important bug fixes, primarily in the areas of streaming and H.264 video.  QuickTime 7 Pro users also gain the ability to create video and audio files that can be played back on compatible iPods.  This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users?Installation of QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.
Additionally, a video stream of today's media event is now available from Apple.com.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Makes sense, what with all the updates today! A minior update, yet necessary for everything else Apple has unveiled I'm sure. :cool:

Edit: Nice to see a stream of the event is up as well - I'll have to check that out...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
Does the pro feature help people making podcasts?
That would be my guess - I'm not sure exactly what else that would be referring to... it would defintely make sense...

Bring on more video podcasts! ;)

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
The Photobooth demo is one of the funniest things I have seen in an Apple presentation.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Today's event video requires Quicktime 7, which appears to need 10.3.9 and I onlyh have 10.3.5 at the office. Dang. Gotta wait till I get home now. Waited all day for the updates, now I need to wait to watch the darn thing. Grrrrr!!

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Strange, the update didn't work for me. So I ended up going to quicktime.com and download 7.0.3 and it works great. Very strange...

But, cool to check out the videos on iTunes! :D

BTW, is it possible to preview the TV shows? Can't seem to do it.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Hmmm. 7.03 has broken audio playback in mpeg1 movies for me. It works in mpeg4 movies and other codecs. Movies also stop after about 10 seconds.

And you can't go back to 7.02 as the installer for that won't let me install an older version.

I now have to use VLC for video playback.

Edit: Solved it again by going into Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup and in 'Audio Devices' setting the output to 44.1Khz. I've done this fix before on the last update but I'd forgot I had to last time. You'd hope they'd have fixed it.

This is on 10.4.2 on an iMac G5 1.8Ghz (one of the first ones).

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Needed for ITMS videos

You need this version of QuickTime to play the previews of videos you can buy, and to play the videos themselves. Without it, you see a gray screen and hear nothing. Clearly, it contains the video DRM stuff.

Purchased videos also play in QuickTime player and any other Mac program that uses QuickTime, on an authorized Mac.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
How often does Apple expect people to re-purchase their keys?!?

I'm really glad I've never paid for a Quicktime Pro key. It would be infuriating to have to pay for a new key every time they update the software. I can, just barely, see justifying the re-purchase for the 6-7 transition (there's a lot of new functionality), but for an 0.0.x update?!? That's gouging.

As much as I'm a big fan of Apple's current OS, applications, and hardware (apart from their desperately-in-need-of-an-upgrade-power-line), they're doing things that make me think they'll be worse than Microsoft if they ever get a monopoly over anything.

Cheers

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
bryanc said:
I'm really glad I've never paid for a Quicktime Pro key. It would be infuriating to have to pay for a new key every time they update the software. I can, just barely, see justifying the re-purchase for the 6-7 transition (there's a lot of new functionality), but for an 0.0.x update?!? That's gouging.

As much as I'm a big fan of Apple's current OS, applications, and hardware (apart from their desperately-in-need-of-an-upgrade-power-line), they're doing things that make me think they'll be worse than Microsoft if they ever get a monopoly over anything.

Cheers
The purchase of the key only refers to people upgrading from QuickTime 5 or 6. Sounds like someone is using Quicktime Pro with paying. :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
aswitcher said:
I too dont understand why QT Pro cant handle .avi's as well as VLC...
Very good question. Because of that very fact, I never use QT on my machine - always VLC, and failing that (which doesn't happen very often) MPlayer. :cool:

prjoni99

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Download Link for presentation?

Can someone please provide the download link. I'm going to my mom's and she doesn't have internet.

Thanks guys.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
bryanc said:
I'm really glad I've never paid for a Quicktime Pro key....
Cheers
But the point upgrade doesn't require repurchase of the key, does it? Only the 5 to 7 or 6 to 7 upgrade does. :confused:

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
aswitcher said:
I too dont understand why QT Pro cant handle .avi's as well as VLC...
I've no problem with AVIs in Quicktime. If anything, slightly smoother than VLC at normal size and a lot smoother at fullscreen.

Perhaps you've an old codec kicking about. DIVX in particular causes problems as it's not been updated to QT7 yet.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Just a heads-up: the Windows version of QT 7.0.3 seems to have a problem with the web browser plugin. H.264 videos embedded into a website crash the browser; ones that launch the external player work fine. This happens regardless of whether or not you use Firefox or IE, and it doesn't matter if you reinstall Quicktime. More than one person beyond me has had the exact same situation.

And before you ask: yes, I have a Mac too. :)

fawlty

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
New Zealand
Did anyone notice during the iTunes demo the user-review of a U2 album has been submitted by one Paul Hewson.

Now where have I heard that name before? :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
fawlty said:
Did anyone notice during the iTunes demo the user-review of a U2 album has been submitted by one Paul Hewson.

Now where have I heard that name before? :)
Others noticed that, and you too.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
telecomm said:
But the point upgrade doesn't require repurchase of the key, does it? Only the 5 to 7 or 6 to 7 upgrade does. :confused:
Right--you're fine.

EVERY time there's a QT update you get some people complaining that they need to buy a new key again right away. It's rarely true :p Apple just gives the warning for people with OLDER versions--which is honest of them.

BTW, the save for iPod feature isn't just for podcasts--it's for any content you already have that you might want to put on your iPod. Like clips from your own camera :)