Quicktime 7 and Quicktime X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ollie N, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Ollie N macrumors regular

Ollie N

Hi,

If I install quicktime 7 in SL Will I still Get Quicktime X?

Also Is FCE compatible with QTX?

Thank you!

P.S. If you only know the answer to one it is ok just post it thx

2. celticpride678

Yes. QuickTime 7 is an optional install during the initial questions. Just select it and it will install 7 and X together.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Quicktime X is the new APIs.
    If you need an application that requires the old ones, it runs secretly in the background , so FCE will be supported.

Quicktime 7 will just be there incase the new player for quicktime X doesn't suit you.

I love it though.

-Omi

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You get QT-X no matter what.

The option is for QT-7 player. But, if you already have QT-7 Pro, it will detect that and automatically install/move the player [to the Utilities folder].

From what I read in Ars Technica review, QT-7 is always installed at the system level. In other words, if there's a codec needed from 7 that isn't in X (like Sorenson), QT-X will automatically create a new process to handle that (a trick to get around the 32-bit/64-bit mutual exclusion problem). It's only the player itself that's optional. (And, as mentioned in a previous post, allows apps like FCE to continue to operate normally.)

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Gr8fly said that way better than I ever could!

-omi

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

And I have Ars Technica to thank for that. If you like the details, it's a great article - it explains the inner workings of all the "under-the-hood" work that's gone into SL. http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/5 This is 5 pages into the 23 page article - it's where the "good stuff" starts. :)

7. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

i installed SL without QT7. but when i go and install logic8, its going to install QT Pro....whichever version came with the disk.

Would there be any conflict? Will software update recognize this earlier version and prompt me to update that version of QT pro?

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I read it aswell. Very well written.

-omi