Quicktime and imovie not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nismo86, Jan 9, 2008.

1. nismo86 macrumors member

When I try to play movies with quicktime, it only plays the sound and not the picture, whats going on?

Also when I try to load into imovie, it will not let me drag it in or import it in, someone help me out!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OK what kind of movie is it? can you play it in VLC and so we can check its video codec? the audio codec is probably MP3 or AAC which quicktime will have no issue playing. if its xvid, divx, flv or mkv download perian to play the movie in quicktime so youll be able to use it in imovie. if its wmv then use flip4mac.

3. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

download VLC and play the .avi. the movie should play fine in VLC. while it is playing press "command-I". in the new window press the "Advanced Statistics" tab and then click the "Stream 1" arrow. what is listed under "Codec"? is its xvid, divx? then we will be able to know if perian or flip4mac will enable you to play the video within QuickTime so you can use it in iMovie! :)

5. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the closest match for this codec is "MSVC Microsoft Video v1" from this page. so i would try downloading flip4mac to play this in QuickTime. the free flip4mac version encodes video with a watermark so if you used iMovie to edit this video text will appear on the movie.

your best bet is to buy flip4mac or purchase visualhub which converts WMV to mpeg4 which is QuickTime and iMovie friendly.

if flip4mac doesn't work reply back. im not 100% sure if quicktime can play this codec though as ive never heard of it.

7. 165th SPC macrumors newbie

quicktime plays only sound but no picture

I just purchased a Mac G4 450 AGP tower and when I go to the Apple movie trailer site EVERYTHING I attempt to view there plays only the sound but with no picture. A few other sites do the same thing but for the most part other sites play both the sound and the image though the frame rate (smoothness) is not what I expected.

8. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Well I got the picture and sound to work on quicktime, but I still cant open the video on imovie, it won't let me. Why? what do I need to do?

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

@ 165th SPC have you updates quicktime to 7.3.1? also try going to System Preferences -> QuickTime -> Advanced -> MIME Settings... and click use defaults. if that doesnt work try downloading and reinstalling quicktime from Apple's site.

@ nismo86 are you trying to drag into imovie? try importing. if that doesnt work open the movie with quicktime and save it as a self-contained movie if you have quicktime pro, this will give it a .mov extension which imovie will like. if you dont have QT pro try using visualhub to convert to mpeg4 (there will be some quality loss).

10. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

Lol, this is so difficult to use a program for imovie, I bought a mac thinking all this would be easy, im starting to think buying a mac was a stupid idea.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well it is a closed source microsoft video codec :p we're lucky that flip4mac still develop for macs other wise we'd be stuck with microsoft's abandoned wmv quicktime codec :eek:

dont blame macs or apple. apple uses open source H.264 mpeg4 for most stuff including imovie which is amazing!

my advice would be to head over to the flip4mac support forums for advice if mine wasnt enough.

12. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

so what should I do about getting it to work in imovie? How much will it cost?

13. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Codecs are your issue. You need to load the Perian collection of Codecs. http://www.perian.org

Load those first then if you cant play back your avi, come back here and post.

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you bothered to read the thread you would of noticed that i suggested using perian and that flip4mac worked out the QuickTime playing problems. sorry to be hard but i am being honest.

well VisualHub is $23, Flip4Mac Studio costs $49 and QuickTime Pro costs $30. (im assuming your a US citizen.)

i would seriously ask at flip4mac forums to see which software you should use and how you can get around this annoying problem.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok buddy thanks for the grammar tip... i owe you one ;) must have been my Australian accent coming through in my writing. we pronounce "would have" or "would've" very quickly but with long vowels and the "ve" sounds like an "f".

well looks like were even ay. BTW did you read my first response before you posted?

16. 165th SPC macrumors newbie

QT - sound but no picture

Well I took the advice . . .
    Reinstalled QT and reset MIME to defaults. (although that's where they were set already) Also restarted in safe mode to reset my display resolution to assure that I am using a supported resolution. Also rebooted my cable modem.
    I have been using the WALL.E video on the Apple QT site for test purposes - this time it ran (for the first time ever) however that first time was the only time! - I went to other movies on the QT site and the problem started again. Went back to the same WALL.E trailer and again it was sound only with no picture.
    You-Tube works OK but then that's not QT.
    So far anything on the web that shows a OT logo before the film gives me only sound and no picture.

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hmm well im stumped! just a quick troubleshooting question. are you sure quicktime player isnt muted? or your speakers or sound system isnt muted or not connected properly?

18. 165th SPC macrumors newbie

QT - got sound but no picture

Speakers turned on - volume up - no problem . . . . . . It's the picture that's missing - I have the sound just fine.

But Thanks

19. 165th SPC macrumors newbie

No sound

No offense, because I'm just teasing now but hey, I think we may have just coined a new technical expression - visual muting: the act of turning the picture down when the colors are too loud! Something else for my neighbor upstairs to complain about.

20. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh sorry :eek:! well the does your computer meet the minimum specs? what size/resolution trailer are you playing?

21. 165th SPC macrumors newbie

QT - No picture

Your comment did get me looking around at other things and guess what? Since reinstalling QT I am now able to watch the trailers in the smallest HD download format and they run perfectly!
    However when I try to go back and watch them in regular QT I still get just the sound and no picture.
    Also if Apple (or anyone else) lists a movie where the trailer is not available in HD and I try to watch that, it's again back to sound only with no picture!
    Oh well at least they has been some improvement!

22. 165th SPC macrumors newbie

QT but no picture

My "new" computer is an older Mac, a G4 450 with factory original AGP video card and 768 MG RAM. It also has a clean install of OS 10.4.
    Here's a question: When I re-installed Quicktime it asked me about system specs and had me install QT for Tiger.
    As to the clean system install - I didn't do it myself, our IT guy at work did. Would the OS installer have allowed him to install the Lepoard OS by mistake? Everything else on this computer seems to work wonderfully but maybe what I am experiencing is a system conflict between the slower hardware and a faster version of the OS?????????

23. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

flip4mac worked fine to get the video picture on QT, Im not sure what perian was suppose to do cause it did nothing.

I still cannot upload the movies onto imovies, so what do I do?

I'm trying to edit my movies, edit, put music, etc...

24. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

25. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

@ nismo86 ok ive tried to help you but i didnt quite get there. i found this page that says purchase flip4mac to save to another format (i.e. mpeg4) which i suggested before. thats about all i can help you with.

@ 165th SPC im pretty sure you have Tiger installed. to check go to the Apple menu -> About This Mac... and if it says "Version 10.4.something" under Mac OS X it means you have Tiger. Also you cant install Leopard on your Mac as your CPU is under the 867 MHz system requirement. although its not "impossible" to install Leopard on your Mac ;): click here. your computer probably feels faster as your IT guy reinstalled Mac OS X which removes any unnecessary junk or CPU and RAM
    hogging apps.

given your graphics card the QuickTime trailer system recommendations page suggests your Mac should be able to play 1920x1080 (1080p) trailers. but your CPU is letting you down and is under the suggested recommendations for 852x480 (480p) trailers. so you might not be able to play HD trailers :(.

try running the 480p and 720p HD Wall⋅e trailers here. then try the large and medium sizes and if they work fine it will tell us that your CPU is not powerful enough to play HD trailers.