Quicktime rather than iTunes player for flicks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arkanok, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

In iTunes, is there a way to set it so that movies, such as podcasts or theatrical movies, that are in my iTunes library open up in Quicktime rather than the iTunes movie player? I know it doesn't really matter but since I'm running Snow Leopard, I like having the disappearing GUI. No biggie tho.

2. devburke Guest

I think the best you’re gonna get is right-clicking the file and going to “Show in Finder” and opening it in QTX on your own. But that won’t change things like marking it as not new or updating the last played time or anything, if you care about that.

Attached Files:

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

iTunes player does have a disappearing control, but it's not the SL QT-X GUI, which I think is what you are talking about.

To open in QT-X: from within iTunes, you can right-click and "Show in Finder" (File > Show in Finder (cmd-R)). From there, you can "Open With" the QT-X player, or drag it to the QT-X player in the dock, or do a plain-vanilla file Open from within QT-X player.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ohhh yeah that's true too, but yea I don't care much about that really. I know I can right click on it in itunes and mark it "seen" if I really needed to.

Thanks though, I just tried my own workaround: I created an alias for the podcast directory and tossed it into my movies folder so that I can access it in the stack.

5. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah actually I just realized that I didn't explain it properly, the disappearing controls are part of but the bar at the top is a little distracting in the itunes player, whereas the QTX one is completely borderless.