Resolved Quicktime stuttering when used to watch Youtube videos with ClicktoPlugin

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hellothere231, Feb 3, 2016.

1. hellothere231 macrumors regular

After Youtube's new API switch, MacTubes has broken, and YouView only gives a low quality version of Youtube. The only way I've found to get around this and watch Youtube videos on my Powerbook G4 again is by using ClicktoPlugin on Leopard-Webkit, as it can open a Youtube video in Quicktime Player. The problem is that the video that is opened in Quicktime is out of sync, and stutters a lot. I've tried going into System Preferences and changing the Instant-On setting to Immediately, but even that doesn't help that much (and it doesn't even save my preference when I exit the app, so I have to leave it open while watching the video). Is there any way to fix this? If not, are there any other methods for watching Youtube on PowerPC?

2. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Go into CTP prefs and make sure it's up to date (3.2). You could also try changing the default player in prefs to HTML5 - your Powerbook might handle playback ok.
    Have you tried the options of playing the mp4 in browser - does it still stutter if you download the file first, then play it? Also in CTP prefs, the default playback for Quicktime should be 360P on a Powerbook - the CPU isn't strong enough for higher playback in the browser.

4. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just updated the plugin to 3.2. Changing the player to HTML5 still gives me the stuttering issue. But, if I download the video and then play it (mp4 format), it runs fine, strangely enough.

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

What about the other options? On my install, along with Flash, I can play/download 720P, 360P mp4, 240P FLV

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@hellothere231 Is QuickTime up to date (7.7 on Leopard) and has it ever worked properly before?

7. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is up to date. It has worked properly on video files before, but it always stutters with Youtube.

Changing the quality down to 240p in the ClickToPlugin preferences actually mostly stops the out of sync stuttering from happening; thanks, Dronecatcher. Although, I'm still confused on why it was stuttering (this Powerbook can handle 480p easily.)

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

The stuttering sounds like there's another CPU hungry process running - open activity monitor and check what else is running.

9. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

The only CPU intensive program that's running is Leopard-Webkit, and even that's at 10-20% when I'm watching a video off of Youtube.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just to clarify, there has never been fluid videos coming from ClickToPlugin?

11. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

No, until I switched the video settings to 240p. That seemed to mostly help it.

12. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Try using QuickTime Enabler and TenFourFox, I have had good luck with that! YouTube videos play smoothly

13. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That method works too; although it still has some of the strange stuttering issues as before. (although toned down.) I'll probably stick to Leopard-Webkit though (TenFourFox is slow on my Powerbook G4).

14. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Let the video buffer first then play. Should get rid of the issues

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you follow @eyoungren's guide to speeding up TenFourFox?

16. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Is this problem ONLY with YouTube? Asking because I'm wondering if it could be a network related issue (vs browser / plugin)?

You may want to check your speed using an independent tool like speedtest.net (vs your ISP provided test). Also check your network stats for errors. Similar to hard drives slowing down over time as sectors fail, network interfaces can begin to fail requiring retries and creating errors that slow things down.

17. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have, hasn't helped that much.
    I've just checked my network speeds on SpeedOf.Me (internet test that doesn't require flash), and I've gotten 5.52mbps download and 420kbps upload. This is actually the normal speed of my connection (ISP says 5mbps down and 1mbps up) ; could it just be that my internet is slow?

18. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I'm pretty sure if it was slow, you see the stop - start of buffering. I can replicate the stuttering you speak of by running another app at the same time - don't forget to check background processes not just visible apps. I recently wondered why Core Audio was taking up 10% CPU (normally it's fractions of a percent) - turned out an audio jack wasn't pushed all the way in and Core Audio was caught in a loop interrogating the device.

19. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, then. I guess it's just Webkit doing it, then. Thanks for helping me.