QuickTime X Hidden Prefs (Disable the Rounded Corners and more)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rorschach, Aug 29, 2009.

1. kai920 macrumors member

maximize window?

Love the autoplay feature, thanks.

Is there a hidden setting that will maximize the window in addition to autoplay?

2. Yas macrumors newbie

Does QTX not follow the preferences set from Quicktime Player 7.app? I haven't tested, but I do remember seeing many of these preference options in the QT7 pane.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Autoplay will make Quicktime X so much more bearable. I dont know what they were thinking with that, its just stupid, dont they have any sense? Thats like having to press a play button in Preview when you open an image file instead of just showing the damn image.

4. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

Yeah, most of the scripts I put together have coorsponding preferences in QT7. Just went to see if there were any more QT7 preferences within the QTX code that I might have missed & I couldn't find any

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Thanks a bunch for the extra effort Apple should have put forth in the first place!!

What are they thinking (or not:rolleyes:).

6. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

No problem. It was fairly easy to get it set up. Wouldn't be surprised if the preferences "magically" show up in 10.6.1 :rolleyes:

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Now, all we need is the option to only record a section of the screen when using the screen recording feature in QuickTime X.

8. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

I also looked for a hidden preference for that. No dice :( I think the ones I made scripts for are the only "hidden preferences"

9. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

A couple of things

Got a new icon for the project

[​IMG]

:D

I also almost have the Recent Items selection all set up. It still won't make the selection though >_< The script won't open when I'm in QuickTime (via the script menu. all of the others open just fine. Have to run it from the AppleScript Editor to test it out). All of the individual Terminal commands work just fine though. Oh & there's an invalid connection with QuickTime apparently >_<

[​IMG]

Code:
    set recentItems to {"None", "5", "10", "15", "20", "30", "50"}

display dialog (choose from list recentItems with prompt "Select the amount of Recent Items.")

if recentItems is "None" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 0"
    else if recentItems is "5" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 5"
    else if recentItems is "10" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 10"
    else if recentItems is "15" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 15"
    else if recentItems is "20" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 20"
    else if recentItems is "30" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 30"
    else if recentItems is "50" then
    	do shell script "defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit 50"
    end if

display dialog "Please restart QuickTime Player for the preference changes to take effect." & return buttons {"Restart QuickTime Player"} default button 1 with icon alias ((path to me) & "Contents:Resources:QuickTimePlayerX_128.icns" as string)
    copy the result as list to {restartButton}

if restartButton is "Restart QuickTime Player" then
    	tell application "QuickTime Player" to quit
    	tell application "QuickTime Player" to open
    end if

Still trying to figure out how to include the "Restore Defaults" button. The code would be something like this. It would go before the restart dialog. Not sure where in the code to include the "Restore Defaults" button though >_<

Code:
    if theButton is "Restore Defaults" then
    	do shell script "defaults delete com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit"
    end if

Someone on the Apple Discussion board suggested this:

Code:
    set buttonClicked to button returned of (display dialog "Please restart QuickTime Player for the preference changes to take effect." & return buttons {"Restore defaults", "Restart QuickTime Player"} default button 2 with icon alias ((path to me) & "Contents:Resources:QuickTimePlayerX_128.icns"))

if buttonClicked is "Restore defaults" then
      do shell script "defaults delete com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSRecentDocumentsLimit"
    else if buttonClicked is "Restart QuickTime Player" then
      tell application "QuickTime Player" to quit
      delay 3 -- give the app time to quit, otherwise the next command may fail
      tell application "QuickTime Player" to activate
    end if
    but, it gave me this error:

Code:
    Result:
    error "Can’t make alias {alias \"Macintosh HD:Users:celebi23:Library:Scripts:Applications:QuickTime Player:Recent Items.scptd:\", \"Contents:Resources:QuickTimePlayerX_128.icns\"} into type number or string." number -1700 from alias {alias "Macintosh HD:Users:celebi23:Library:Scripts:Applications:QuickTime Player:Recent Items.scptd:", "Contents:Resources:QuickTimePlayerX_128.icns"} to number or string

10. systimax macrumors newbie

what about auto play of audio files? Not just movies? And the option to only use 1 quicktime window and not have it open up in many windows?

11. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

I'm afraid that those preferences are not coded into QuickTime X :( Sorry. I went looking for more earlier today & couldn't find any.

12. cal81985 macrumors newbie

Created a preference pane...

Hey guys,

I was curious as to why the preferences menu was left out of the new QuickTime Player, and my Google search led me here. It looked like a lot of people were wondering the same thing, so I went ahead and made a Preference Pane. It's freeware, so everybody is welcome to download and use it. The only bug I ran into was that the menu options reset once you quit System Preferences, but it doesn't reset the changes you made (it just looks like they are changed back, but they really aren't). I just tested it on a 1st Gen Intel Core Duo iMac and my MacBook Pro and both worked flawlessly.

You can download it from my iDisk here, or you can wait until it is up on Softpedia for download. I submitted it tonight, so it will probably appear either Wednesday or Thursday.

By the way, if anybody can point me towards a forum thread or online resource that can help me set menu values in Xcode based on data that the application reads upon launch, it would be much appreciated. I keep coming up with nothing, and it is the only thing I need to know for this Preference Pane to be complete.

-Chris

EDIT: Here's a screen shot of the preference pane, which I forgot to include in the original post.

13. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

Version 2.2 is done!

New features:

And that should be all of the major preferences from the QuickTime 7 preferences window :D

http://web.me.com/celebi23/QuickTimeXScripts/Main.html

cal81985, awesome Preference Pane btw :) If you want, take a look at my scripts & feel free to add anything from them into your PrefPane :)

14. daltaya macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the scripts. I'm going to try out the preferences in a bit.

Is there any way that you could add the option that any new movie you open plays in the existing window instead of opening another? I love the new interface and I'd hate to not use it because they didn't finish their program.

I also noticed that there is no option to double the size of the video. You can do normal, fit to screen, and fullscreen. I checked in the view options and they go from command-1 to command-3. Not sure what the deal is with that.

15. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

I checked in the actual QuickTime Player X binary (QuickTime Player/Contents/Mac OS/QuickTime Player) for those preferences & I don't think Apple even coded them into the app.

In QuickTime 7, the preferences you mention are (I think)

FullscreenPreferenceSize
    GeneralPreferenceOpenMoviesInNewPlayers

From what I can see, I don't think that they're even coded in QuickTime X :mad:

I'll keep looking for them though. :)

16. daltaya macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks again for all the work you're putting into this.

17. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

No problem. I just wish Arn would report on this. It would help a lot of Snow Leopard users

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Any way to boost the framerate for QuickTime X Screen Recordings? 12fps isn't very much. I'd much rather have 60 or 30fps.

19. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

Thanks very much!

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You guys are the best!! Thanks! I'm using cal81985's just because it looks simple, but props also to celebi23. QT X is now usable!

21. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Yes, 30 is needed.

22. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

I tried looking for any hidden preferences regarding the screen recording framerate. I couldn't find any :( Sorry guys. I'm just hoping that Apple releases a QTX update at their event on the 9th or release it in the 10.6.1 update

23. donbenjy macrumors 6502

So...how did the OP find these hidden prefs? As reported on macoshints, the way in which apps are packaged in SL prevents the strings command from returning anything useful...

I found this out myself after trying (unsuccessfully) to go through finder and dock.app in search of stacks icon sizes and base2 sizes and not being able to find any of the old hidden prefs either. I thought I'd made a mistake, so I was glad when that article was published, though I'd love to know if anyone has any idea how to unpack and find these hidden preferences?

p.s. I tried it with QTX and couldn't find the hidden strings that we're using, so that proves that there might be a way to find them, and that they weren't discovered using this method.

(the actual commands I used were:

cd /Applications/"QuickTime Player.app"/Contents/MacOS
    strings - "QuickTime Player" >~/Desktop/qt_strings.txt

to redirect all the strings within the QTX application to a text file called qt_strings.txt)

24. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Seeing as no one will look at my thread a few threads down the board i'll ask here too.

Anyone know if you can get all your boxes and apps etc to have the black look that Quicktime X has?!

I love it.

25. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Probs not right now, though I'm sure someone will make a theme in the near future!