Quicktime X is a joke of an application

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Aug 31, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

1. Focused windows and unfocused windows have absolutely no difference (sorry, I was mistaken, there *is* a difference, the three traffic lights are dimmer)
    2. Movie doesn't play automatically when app starts
    3. Movie doesn't play when you go into fullscreen
    4. The tracking is a joke, a diamond inside a rounded rect? The UI designer is on crack. How do you know if you hit the edge? When the edge of the diamond hits of the center?
    5. Have yet to get youtube service working.
    6. Trim is a joke, I can only trim from the ends? what if I want to cut just a piece out of the movie?
    8. Rounded corners is cool at first, but gets annoying. Feels like part of your movie is always missing.
    9. No preferences...
    10. Performance is a joke, opening a 600mb movie takes well over 5 seconds. VLC does it in zero seconds (read ZERO, it's instant)

I can't believe Apple shipped this utter BS player. It's a purely marketing move to make Snow leopard worth more than it actually is. This is definitely a 1.0 release that was rushed out the door. All they needed to do was to make a new Ui for Quicktime 7, there wasn't anything really wrong with the user interaction for it as many people got used to it. All it needed was to support multiple codecs and have a huge performance boost. Quicktime X does none of that. It still can't even play MKV files. Its literally a iPhone app ported over to OS X with nothing new (dammit I can't believe I just solved their touch screen roadmap)

2. G.T. macrumors 6502a

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

This is the angriest I've ever seen anyone get over Quicktime.

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

already abandoned it, QT 7 is now set as my default

I knew from the previews I wouldn't like QT X

5. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already send Apple feedback. I'm back to using VLC... who's interface is atrocious.

6. MBX macrumors 65816

I agree.

I don't think it's cool by Apple to tout SL as overall enhanced and then one of their major apps is downgraded. Sure i like the new interface but having all preferences and export options lost is not cool.

And neither that you can't expand the timeline for more detailed scrubbing (as possible with QT7).

We can only hope the options/ preferences will be back with a next update.

Ps: Oh and as for point Nr. 8. Totally agree, see here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=773076

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

The no preferences thing is really annoying.

One thing I found that sucks now with QTX is.....often I go to Apple Trailers and click to load up 7-10 HD trailers at once. In QT7 I would have the preference not to start the movie automatically.

This would allow all the movies to download in the background...then I would watch one at a time.

QTX plays automatically......so I have to go to each and pause.

Really minor and stupid....but still, put the damn simple prefs back in.

-Kevin

8. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

You could always try MPlayer OSX Extended. I've never liked VLC at all, but love MPlayer.

9. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I don't mind Quicktime X. I didn't have Quicktime Pro before, so trimming is more than I had rather than less. The rounded corners don't affect me at all (though my real TV is still a CRT, so that may be part of it), and startup times seem to be fine. Possibly there's a difference in the file formats we're using?

I wouldn't use VLC if you paid me. Apart from the awful interface, there's the fact that it frequently refuses to work even with files that its Windows version is fine with.

Actually, the one thing that has annoyed me so far about Quicktime X is that there seems to be no way to zoom in on the trim bar. So all you can do to add precision to your trimming is to resize the window, but obviously your screen is only so large and longer movies compress the trim timeline. With 20-ish minute standard definition footage, I find I'm limited to 2 second precision trims at the default window size, 1 second if I max it up to full screen.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If it works like the iPhone trim, holding down the button in place should zoom the bar.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The trim feature in QuickTime 7 (and Pro) and QuickTime X is exactly the same thing in that you can only trim off the beginning and the end. Actually, from what I can remember, the trim features have always been this way.

12. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Oh yeah, you can change some of the complaints here with the command line (rounded corners, autoplay). There's a thread on it.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

So far, I don't see any major application problems. It's just a lack of personal preferences and settings. I remember before you can have videos play instantly and also when you go into fullscreen mode. There's still Quicktime 7 (which I'm assuming you have) for that.

14. xeex macrumors member

I second that, went back to Q7 but also use Movist as VLC is ugly as hell.
    also noticed that QX is somewhat slow. ALso noticed that itunes changed icon from blue to black. :(

15. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

have to agree that QT X i ssomewhat of a letdown

Also, how come this is Quicktime X, or 10? What happened to QT 8 & 9?

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

They got lost somewhere with all the PPC code.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iTunes didn't change icons? :confused::confused:

18. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Agreed, it doesn't end there though...try saving any of those trailers...it doesn't simply move them from the cache like QT7...it REDOWNLOADS the entire trailer! FAIL.

Hope Apple doesn't mind having its bandwidth doubled. :rolleyes:

19. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

And the purpose for Apples new billion dollar server farm is realised... :-D

20. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

lol

Ha! Guess I meant "bandwidth usage" doubled. :)

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I haven't installed SL yet, but I thought the point with QuickTime X was to make it modern. And with that add modern codecs and better options not to make it worse, this dissapointed me.

I know you can install QT 7 but why should we have to have two apps? They should have refined QT 7 with the new UI.

22. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's similar to what they did with iMovie 08 and 09. They completely remade iMovie with the 08 version, and then brought back the missing features with 09.

I don't agree with it, but I can understand how QT, an application essentially built into the operating system, must take a while to be completely remade.

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

1. Traffic lights change, but it would be nice for some greying like say a Firefox window dows
    2. It's not all bad to not play automatically. I wouldn't expect that behaviour (or maybe expect a way to change that preference).
    3. Same as 2.
    4. True, but then you get two finger tracking too. You've got a time code in the bottom right also.
    5. Think the youtube is being a bit flakey.
    6. Trim is trim. What you're asking for is multi-piece editing, not a top and tail. They have an app for that :)
    8. Rounded corners - no updaet to change that so far
    9. I'd imagine that Quicktime may be holding some back. Look at Front Row - with a tablet coming, they'll have to update Front Row, and you might see some updates to QuickTime X. However, if QT X is being modified to be tablet friendly, they may well pair things down more.

You can always run Quicktime 7 (Pro)
    10. Performance is sucky. I'd also add that format recognition is sucky too. No working Perian etc currently makes it worse, but i'd imagine they have people on that. This is rightly 1.0 of the QT X. Once they've got GPUs kicking in and helping out, i'd imagine they might have playback working a bit better.

24. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I think it's a total rewrite from the ground up. Quicktime did get bloated. You can install 7 when your installing Leopard so who cares really.

It will get better over time. This whole Leopard thing is obviously the first step in a big move forward.