QuickTime X not using GPU decoding

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hitachi-Chan, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hitachi-Chan macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am trying to watch a HD movie in 1080p on my Macbook Pro. Parts of my video will lag behind in QuickTime X, So i looked at the CPU history to see it at 100% out of 200%. So i tried another decoder (iTunes) and saw that my CPU usage went down to 20% with no lag and a Definition boost! I have no clue why iTunes is using GPU decoding while QuickTime X isn't. Anyone have a clue? Thanks!

QuickTime Version: QuickTime X
    iTunes Version: iTunes 10.1
    Mac OS X Version: 10.6.5 x86_64
    Video Format: MPEG-4 movie, AAC for Audio and H.265 for Video

Thanks!

2. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

That weird. ITunes uses the quicktime framework to decode audio and video. So if iTunes is decoding it, it means quicktime in actuality is the one decoding it.

EDIT: Use Quicktime 7 to play your video and see if that helps. Otherwise download VLC and use that.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Which model of Macbook Pro?

5. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 5,4 320gb 7200RPM

6. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I already gave you suggestions, how about you try them and report back before bumping threads.

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Don't play the movie in iTunes. Itunes sucks for video playback IMO. I've noticed some 720p h.264 movies take 80% CPU in quicktime 7 but less than 20% in QuickTime X.

10. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

Both do not work. And they reason why i did not reply back was because VLC has no support for Graphics card decoding. Also, I stated it was using Legacy Decoding Framework from Quicktime 7.

11. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

Its Reverse for me... Thats the Problem

12. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

Bumping threads is generally frowned upon.

Bumping a thread 8 hours after posting is bad enough, but THREE times in four days is worse.

13. Hitachi-Chan, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

3 times in 4 days, thats 0.75 bumps a day... not even worth 1 bump.

I also like how this forum is more concerned with Bumping then it is with problem solving.

14. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

Actually, to me, it has more to do with you feeling your issue is of a higher priority than everyone else's. What makes your issue more or less important than other's? And I'm not even referring to the specifics, but everyone's issue is important to them (otherwise they wouldn't have posted), but just because it's very high on your list doesn't make it higher on other's.

15. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

O yes because bumping 0.75 a day is making it higher priority when on every other forum people do it all the time. I think your just putting this up to make a point which i'm not going to listen to because i really could care less about what you expect from me. This is a support community, you give me support i give you support. Not an Advice community, So if its not tech related or anything that is on your person thinking. I could really care less.

16. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

actually vlc does support gpu decoding now as of 1.03 and we are at 1.1.5 i think as of a few days ago so update vlc and try it again

17. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

18. Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

I repair permissions daily

i use VLC for MKV files and im running 1.1.5 x64bit. Nothing.

19. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Wow, ok, so... umm, if you go to system profiler, does it indicate that quartz is enabled?

20. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

21. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Hardware acceleration problems are not limited to VLC (QTX also). Or, at least that is how I understood the problem.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Try using NicePlayer. I find it forces GPU acceleration by using CoreVideo to play back video files, but it still uses the QT frameworks.

23. Hitachi-Chan, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

Hitachi-Chan thread starter macrumors newbie

Quartz is running

iThinkergoiMac: "Try using NicePlayer. I find it forces GPU acceleration by using CoreVideo to play back video files, but it still uses the QT frameworks."

I shouldn't need to, if apple says it decodes its going to decode.

Anothering to add. When Quicktime X runs in 64-bit mode, Quicktime Launches "QTKitServer-(2219) QuickTime Player", But in 32-bit mode Quicktime X runs the movie on just Quicktime X; as in no other process is launched like when running 64bit version

24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

There are lots of things you do that you shouldn't need to. Apple says it decodes but in your case it obviously isn't. Does that mean it's not happening?

What do you really want from this thread? A place to complain? Because multiple solutions have been offered and you've turned them all down. I know none of them are fixes for QTX, but they do offer a temporary workaround so you can watch your videos smoothly until you figure it out.

I guess you think it's more important to complain that be able to watch your videos. No one is saying these workarounds are the be-all-end-all fix, but it would allow you to do what you want. That's apparently not good enough.

25. gorjan macrumors 6502

I think we should all just move along here... OP obviously has too much time (repairing permission EVERY day?!?) and just wants something to complain about. And as PurdueGuy wrote, bumping three times isn't the way things work around here.