Quicktime X vs. Quicktime 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jesse Smith, Aug 29, 2009.

?

Which version of Quicktime do you like the most?

1. Quicktime X

47.4%
  2. Quicktime 7

24.2%
  3. Quicktime 7, but I think I'll eventually get used to X and like X more.

14.7%
  4. Quicktime 7, I wouldn't be caught dead with Quicktime X!

13.7%
  1. Jesse Smith macrumors member

Which version do you like the best?

I think Quicktime X is really crummy. For starters, copy, cut, paste....be gone. You have to use QuickTime 7 (Utilities Folder.)

Then there's the looks. And Quicktime X shrinks the hight, and places the options in the video spot.

For those of you that haven't upgraded yet, this is what you get...

quicktime.jpg

Oh, and Quicktime X is s tiny bit slower at opening! :horror:

This was more of a crappy downgrade!! Quicktime X, meet the Trash. Trash, meet Quicktime X. :D

Hint: If you trash Quicktime X, rename Quicktime 7 to 'QuickTime Player' and put it in the Applications folder, to quickly convert every Quicktime file back to being opened with Quicktime 7.

2. jelmerjt macrumors newbie

jelmerjt

When it comes to looks, Quicktime X without a doubt. Feature wise, Quicktime 7 Pro:D.

3. Bunsen macrumors member

QuickTime Player X --> Trashed!

I use the advanced features in Quicktime 7 almost daily, and until QuickTime X grows up to include the "pro" features, it will not live on my Macs.
    The only thing I wanted to keep was the new icon, but moving the icns file from QuickTime player X to Quicktime Player 7 broke the automatic opening of files. Oh well...

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

What also sucks is flip4mac to watch wmvs does not work with x... But it works in preview which is weird.

5. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I chose QTX.

All I need Quicktime for is watching movies, and occasionally exporting one so it works on my ipod. Quicktime X does this, and has a much more elegant UI than 7.

For my needs, Quicktime X is the bees knees. :)

6. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

For most people that just do that, it's just fine. It's mostly those of us that used pro that hate it, since it doesn't have those features.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Definitely Quicktime 7. Not sure why they couldn't have taken QT 7 and simlpy added the borderless window upgrade. Keep all the features of 7 and add one.

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Can't say I've used QTX much yet, but I loved the old interface. Its been around since version 4, and like SimpleText was a VERY powerful application. I hope they can improve this new version.

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes, it is early on this version. I have a version 7 pro license on one of my Macs so i am glad I still have it. All and all though, the new version aesthetically is fine for me.

10. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

At the moment, definitely QT7 Pro. If QTX can grow up and get more of 7's feature set (as well as some options! I want movies to play when they're opened!) I'd be fine switching from 7 Pro for good. Until then I'll use both.

11. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

12. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Arses upon arses with arse gravy coming out of them

QT 10 is a massive dissapointment:

- No cut and paste for previews et cetera
    - No direct play after opening avilable (which means one extra button to push)
    - No way escaping the playback bar whilst inside the player window
    - No further options available
    - Slower than QT 7. Hello?

I even hate the playable preview thumbnails in the finder - even though that is a point on Snow Leopard more than QT 10.
    Why hate them? Because the play button is laid smack in the middle of the thumbnail, thus preventing a regular opening of
    file without navigating to the side of mentioned button.

Wrinkled grandmothers eating saus-covered potatoes whilst farting

P

13. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

What??:eek:

14. robert.bulko macrumors newbie

robert.bulko

a bit of fun here. New QuickTime seems to be all dark so why dont we get dark icon too? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

For what I use it for, Quicktime X is perfect.

16. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

17. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I kind of shocked by how much is actually missing in QuickTime X. Even the most simple things like the movie properties HUD. I hope they find a way to put the features back in eventually otherwise it's just a gimped movie player.

18. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

CMD + I

19. Matthew. macrumors regular

Click anywhere in the window.

20. Kunyo macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm confused. Why did Apple leave us with two different versions of Quicktime? How do I make Quicktime X the default player? Or should I keep Quicktime 7 as the default?

21. unnamedculprit macrumors newbie

Quicktime X does look a bit nicer, but I do regularly use the copy and paste tools in 7 for quick ****** edits.
    Also, it's a bit silly how they've gone on about their fancy new player, and the file associations all stayed with QT7..
    What's confusing me the most is how some files can't be opened in X?!
    You need QuickTime Player 7 to open "psd_in_zspace_1280.mov".

Attached Files:

22. astrofoo macrumors newbie

I'm fine with having both QTX and QT7 on my system.

While I'm not at all pleased that even basic cut/copy/paste wasn't included or proper plugin support was a 1.0 feature for QTX, I'm glad that they are shedding a lot of the (what, 20-year-old) legacy code and focused on the technology rather than the front-end.

It's my simple understanding (so I'm probably wrong on some things) that QTX is more a backend tech that plays all the codecs that the iphone/ipod does and is behind a "QTKit" that calls out to QT7 if QTX can't handle the video. QTX is optimized for 64-bit and GPU processing while QT7 doesn't feature either and that the QTX app is just a front-end app to the QTKit API.

So they focused more on QTX the back-end in this release than the QTX front-end, and I'm fine with that. That's what Snow Leopard was all about anyways. I'm just glad we got to keep the QT7 app for light editing.

23. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    But that´s my point: you have to click several times every time you want that to happen. There is no OPTION to make this permanent.

I´ll tell you, since Snow Leopard, I´ve used QT10 less and less and VLC more and more

24. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Not what I meant. There was a HUD in Quicktime 7 that gave you controls for brightness, playback speed (forward and reverse), etc. These controls no longer seem to be there. These controls were called Show Movie Properties in the Window tab.