Quiet DAS 4-5 bay

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by famous600, Feb 19, 2014.

1. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Anyone know of a good 4-5 bay quiet raid box for a theatre environment? Drobo 5d is a tad loud for my tastes.

2. blanka macrumors 68000

Gigabit storage can be 50meters away with 1 cable. That is a enormous decrease in audibility!

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

promise pegasus has a 4 bay and a 6 bay. I own the 6 bay. it is not as quiet as I would like.

I have a synology and like you say put if off in the corner of some other room connect with a cat 6 cable. I prefer it. over the pegasus

4. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

What would you recommend? How about speeds? My 5d is thunderbolted into the mini and the mini'is hard wired into the router. If I go with a 5N I would plug the Ethernet into the router and my network speeds would be nowhere near as fast :( worried about playing a 40GB bluray rip and it stuttering all over the place.

5. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

It would all be on gig ethernet then, right? I would think that would be more than enough to not have it stuttering. No idea what speeds you need for bluray rips - I thought I read somewhere it was like 15-25 Mbps?

6. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

Did the 5D produce too much noise without any drives?

Just curious if it was the 5D or the drives that were the source of the noise.

I am using 2 5D's in TB chain, and the sound is petty soft. I am using WD RED NAS drives in them. So the drives could be a factor in the amount of ambient noise that it is generating.

7. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

I think it is the drives. Regardless I rearranged my media console so the 5D is concealed but cool. Everything working well now!

8. shaunp macrumors 65816

I've got a 4-bay pegasus 2 and it's pretty good. I can only hear it when it's completely silent in the room. When other people are talking and there's normal background noises I don't notice it at all. I also have a 4-bay Synology and this is absolutely whisper quiet, I have to put my ear right next to it to hear it and then I only hear it when there's no other noise. As for Drobo, I have a drobo mini that I occasionally use if I need stuff for a mobile lab, but is is definitely much noisier than either the Pegasus or the Synology.

It depends what transfer speeds you are after. The Synology DS412+ is a good NAS and the Pegasus 2 is a good DAS array. I rate them both highly, but they do different things.

9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I would recommend Drobo 5n connected to airport extreme tucked away somewhere or connected with a long ethernet cable.

10. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I would recommend a Synology NAS over a Drobo any day of the week, the Drobo performance just isn't up to par compared to others and yet Drobo still charges a pretty penny.

The Synology DS15xx series are awesome, I have the 1511+ and love it. The 1513+ is the current model.

Though I don't use my Synology for media storage/streaming, it is in the bedroom and isn't disruptive. It will easily saturate a 1Gb connection.

I also don't understand why the OP doesn't think a 5N or other NAS would be as fast as the Mini over the network, they'd both be connected at gigabit speed. That said, if the suggestion is to just run cable to another room then the OP could just move their current setup and not buy a new unit, move the data around, etc. The only reason to keep the Mini by the TV is if the Mini uses the TV as a display.

11. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Maybe I wasn't clear. The 5D is thunderbolted to the mini so everything I play on the mini media wise is instant. My concern with a NAS is any type of streaming issue. For my needs a NAS would be pointless if it can't pull a high res 40-50gb blu ray rip with ease over my network.

12. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

No, I understood your concern...I just don't understand WHY you think it's a concern or why you think the Mini + 5D is capable of faster network speed than a NAS. The network connection is going to be the bottleneck, if both the Mini+5D and a NAS are connected using 1GbE then unless you buy a really crappy NAS that doesn't even have 1GbE the limiting factor is going to be the 1Gb/s network speed, not the actual device serving the data.

Blu-Ray AV streams have a max of 48Mb/s (6MB/s), so unless you're trying to play 20+ BD streams at once I think you're overestimating how much bandwidth and I/O BD streams require.

13. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Yes I was overestimating. However I was interested in a 5d replacement. Nothing to do with the network at this time. But after moving some things around my issue is resolved :)