Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One HardMac reader claims that his new Mac mini shipped with a Core Duo 1.66GHz instead of the advertised Core Solo 1.5GHz as well as a larger hard drive (100GB) and Superdrive (instead of Combo).

The site believes this represents a silent upgrade across all Mac mini's consistent with recent rumors of upcoming Mac mini upgrades.

Alternatively, it may simply be a mistake, unless there are multiple confirmations of similar upgrades. Of note, Apple has done a similar silent upgrade in the past for the Mac mini.

Meanwhile, there is more confirmation that Apple will be hosting a media event on September 12th.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That would be nice..as the Core Solo model would really see a difference with the Core Duo...and a 100Gb hard drive for the low end model, snap that would be nice

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Seems like they might want to make this public as it's a pretty significant upgrade for theoretically the same price. Would be weird to pay for the high end model and have it be the same as paying for the lowend model, if you know what I mean. I could see that landing Apple in hot water.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I doubt they would do a silent upgrade again. They'd wait until the September event. I don't think they'll be making 100gb standard on the low end model anyway.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
What he got IS possible under the old models (take the top Mini and choose the next HD size up), so I wonder if the BTO people just put the someone else's machine back into his box?

I would also hope Apple KEEPS the Solo model (it's still more power than many need) and the Combo Drive and other "low" specs and simply drops the price back below $500. (For the entry model.)

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Wait how could this be a simple mistake? How ofter does one get a "free" upgrade in hd, processor and optical drive? Unless he found a loophole I doubt Apple or where even he purchased it from would do that. Now it is more belivevable if apple upgrade the MacMini.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
nagromme said:
What he got IS possible under the old models (take the top Mini and choose the next HD size up), so I wonder if the BTO people just put the someone else's machine back into his box?

I would also hope Apple KEEPS the Solo model (it's still more power than many need) and the Combo Drive and other "low" specs and simply drops the price back below $500. (For the entry model.)

Why not hope for both: a $499 model with a core duo processor?

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Oh please God let this not be just a slip up by Apple, I hope its a real upgrade but my gut is saying its a mistake. :(

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sounds to me Apple could be simply clearing out stock of the higher end mini in preparation for a "real" upgrade to something else. However, one incident does not a plan make. Let's wait and see if others notice similar free upgrades over the next few days.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I don't think Apple will do another unannounced upgrade. I assume the last one had more to do with bizarre supply issues than it did with any kind of marketing strategy.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
100 GB HD,DVD-RW, and a dual core CPU on a $499 computer sounds pretty impressive...Mac or PC and I don't think Apple is one set a precedent like that.

EDIT: $599 - Forgot!

kadajawi

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2006
I hope that will be the new specs, for the old price, but I seriously doubt that. I think they will put in a Core Duo... last time I checked they don't cost more than the Core Solo, but everything else? Ok, a superdrive is absolutely standard in the PC world nowadays, but the HDD?
Maybe the guy just wants to be famous or fool us?
Anyway I don't think these specs are that impressive, at least in the PC world. A DVD writer costs 30 €, 160 GB HD 50 €. Dual core CPU is somewhere around 100 € too, if you choose one of those hot Pentium D. Add a cheap board, a bit of RAM, cheap case, ... I think that's doable.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Remember the minis are small, that means some expensive parts like the laptop hard drives. It's not realistic to compare a mini to a bargain tower.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
briansolomon said:
100 GB HD,DVD-RW, and a dual core CPU on a $499 computer sounds pretty impressive...Mac or PC and I don't think Apple is one set a precedent like that.

I'm not buying this. Apple could have to be getting pretty deep discounts to make any money at $599 with those specs. 2.5" hard drives are very expensive.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I call 'screw up', too. The processor boost alone would be one thing, but combined with hard drive and optical upgrades, this seems EXTREMELY unlikely. (I mean, come on, that's a computer that SHOULD go for $849.) Even the $799 mini doesn't come stock with a 100 GB drive.

Too massive an upgrade at the low end to be unannounced.

Heck, I'd settle for just the processor upgrade, and a $100 price drop at the low end. With a processor upgrade, plus HD size boost at the high end for the same price, or just the proc upgrade with a $100 decrease in price.

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Apple get rid of all the remaining stock in the warehouse, we had a load of old iMac G5 with 1Gb RAM and Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, and other CTO options, its just apple clearing out the inventory.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
If they are out of Core Solos already (and they'd have to be to be giving away CTO Duos) they'd reflect it on the website by putting a wait on that model... they may bump up a stock Core Duo to a 100gb HDD or something to get rid of inventory, but this seems a bit suspicious.

Shipping time is still 24 hours on the Core Solo. I'm guessing this guy full of crap or got very, very lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.