Quit Complaining & Clean install.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by agentphish, Aug 26, 2011.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I Have only had one issue with lion, which a disk/permissions repair resolved.

Looking at 6 other people I have suggested a clean install to, all of them have had their quirks resolved and their machines are running fantastic. These are machines from early 2008 macbook pro on up to current machines.

I attribute this all to clean installs. Folks need to understand that directory corruption, and other software issues can create havoc on a system and upgrading an OS is rarely a great a idea.

I'm sure there are some driver issues for specific people that are at the OS level, but give a clean install a shot!

2. TPadden macrumors 6502a

I hate to crosspost and repeat replies BUT I'm really tired of being told that a clean install will fix things :rolleyes:.....

So far, on my 4GB 2010 MBA I've clean installed 10.7 at least 3 times and 10.7.1 twice. I've never been able to use it trouble free for more than 24 hours without freezes, beachballs, stuttering scrolling, terrible TM performance, and wireless problems. It takes me about 10 minutes to TM back to a flawless SL .........

Then I read here how it's all fine, I should just get used to Lion, and re-install Lion to a freshly formatted drive .....

3. ljonesj, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

lol yeah i know i screwed up my lion install on my macbook. When I installed linux with it I now have more problems with it on a clean install. Where my mac mini is a update to lion that its only problem is firefox. It has a massive memory leak waiting for ver 7 as they say they fixed the memory issue and speed on that version.

4. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Make me the third complainer, and to quote the second one :rolleyes::

"ljonesj,

Have you ever heard of any of the following?

Capitalization
    Periods
    Commas
    Paragraphs
    "

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

OK fixed that and i thought i had did what you suggested before hand.

6. TPadden, Aug 26, 2011

TPadden macrumors 6502a

Thanks - now I can tell you were agreeing with me that for some it's more than just a clean install fix :).

7. scottsjack macrumors 68000

It wasn't true in my case. On my MBP;

1. Snow Leopard worked great.
    2. Upgraded to Lion and hated it.
    3. Clean install Snow Leopard and it worked great.
    4. Clean installed Lion as an experiment. It still sucks.

My complaints about Lion have nothing to do with Apple's typical .0 bugs. They have everything to do with the tabletization and dumbing down of Lion and with the loss of useful desktop computing features.

8. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Nobodies complaining. Lion has serious issues that should have been addressed before it was released.

9. tom5304 macrumors regular

Thank you!

Clean install of Lion helped with the lagginess a little, but did nothing for the several other issues that made Lion a non-starter for me.

10. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

I filed a bug report in early June about AD being broken and am just NOW getting a response from Apple on how to recreate the issue. I sent them multiple links to Apple Support to find the problem. These should have been addressed before it was released. Releasing an Enterprise crippled software and leaving no migration trail is not good.

11. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

On my macbook the issue is with time machine. When it backs up it brings up the time capsule drive backs up. Well sometimes the icon still showing backup after an hour still spins even after 2 more backups and the drive never leaves the desktop i mean ejecting after the backup like it does on the mac mini. another on the macbook it has issues ejecting drives.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

The problem with a lot of people is their definition of "clean install". Mostly it is something like: install Snow Leopard, upgrade to Lion, restore TM backup. And then they run into the same problems over and over again. Others would define installing only Lion as a clean install. What is yours? How did you do the clean install?

It would help if you at least gave some examples of those "serious issues" but be prepared that not everybody will class them as being serious.

13. wpotere Guest

Did a clean install and it didn't fix the memory hungry issue that I was having but thanks for the tip. :rolleyes: SL runs great for now. I'll wait until Apple cleans up the OS a bit more.

14. wcrov macrumors member

Clean install didn't work in my i7 MacBook Pro...

Apple need to fix their *****...

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

15. TPadden, Aug 26, 2011

TPadden macrumors 6502a

Boot to my USB Mac OSX Lion Install ESD
    Run Disk Utility to format my MAC drive (not necessary but I do it anyway)
    Install Lion to my MAC drive, don't use TM to restore (because I tried that previously).
    Run Software update (loads 10.7.1).

Load Google Chrome, Quicken Essentials, SEE finance, Basecamp 3.2.2, Click to Flash, Goodsync-Mac 2.5.6, Google Earth Mac, PDANet 243, and Skype 5.2 from dmg's on my data drive.

Copy documents from data drive.

Nothing really CPU taxing .........:eek:

Within 24 hours use my SL recovery ;)

I never said my issues were serious. I would happily live with them knowing they will most likely be fixed by 10.7.4 or so, if I didn't have a completely trouble free 10.6.8 available, and only 10 minutes away :D.

Tom

16. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Do a clean install on an external drive. See if it works any better. If it does, do a clean install on your internal, if not, just delete the external install.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

I agree!

Did a clean install here an no issues to report.

Perhaps if you are still having issues after a clean install, you are running some program that is no Lion compatible.

My WIFI works. Reconnects after sleep.
    No freezes

I have an 2010 MBA.

----------

Sure it was true in your case. You installed Lion and did not like it. Not the same thing.

18. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

ROFLCOPTER. Please, explain what features were LOST in installing Lion? Everything you could do before you can still do. It might be in a different way, but you can still do it.

"Tabletization" is something you're going to have to get used to, since eventually if you want to have a computer, there will be a time when a tablet or tablet like device is your only option.

Again, very curious as to what you're too lazy to learn how to do in Lion... er... what features you "lost."

19. TPadden, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

TPadden macrumors 6502a

Thanks but MBA has an internal SSD with only USB external so I won't waste my time. It would be quicker to just wait for 10.7.4 :) ....

I have a Mac Pro for my heavy lifting so I'm not running anything intensive; a 2010 MBA w/ 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo and 4 GB shouldn't have any driver problems but I'll probably wait for Lion to update as I am a little tired of going back and forth :eek:.

To be honest if it weren't for all the others complaining I'd think it was raining on only me in the sunny Lion jungle....... :D

20. Richard L macrumors newbie

Quit complaining and clean install

Have tried a clean install and problems still there. Goes to sleep and immediately wakes up again - not all the time and less often than 10.7.0 so some improvements were done in 10.7.1. It forgets what my Time Capsule is at times. These are issues I understand Apple knows of and is working on.

21. toogoodius macrumors member

Please help - instructions how to clean install needed!

Hello,

I am hoping that a clean reinstall of Lion will solve the probs I have with it. I have reinstalled Lion a couple of times, on top of SL, and now want to do the clean install.

Can somebody explain simply how I do it?

22. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I did an upgrade from Snow to Lion on my MacBook Pro 15 2010 and it was a non stop nightmare. Spinning beach balls, screensaver starting at random, and the laptop ran hot all the time. Plus there were a lot of stability issues as well. Afterwards, I did a clean install and the situation somewhat improved but it just wasn't worth the headache. Re-installed Snow Leopard and was blown away on how well my Mac ran again. It was like getting a new computer.

Strangely... I install Lion on my MacBook Air 11" 2010 and it runs PERFECTLY fine (except for Lion's built in annoying features) so I have Lion on there just as an experiment.

23. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

My experience has ALL been clean installs. Bad art direction and usability can't be fixed by this. You can get all the bugs and failures in a pristine format though.:cool:

24. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Geez. A "clean install" is an artifact of previous Mac OS installer options; it's use as a panacea for all Lion-related computer ills is like saying chicken soup will cure your illness.

AFAIK most people consider it to be erasing their boot drive, installing Lion, and then putting stuff on the boot drive via copying, migrating and/or restoring. You see folks attempting all kinds of crazy stuff, like cloning BACK to the startup drive.

As someone pointed out, it isn't going to solve an inherent problem in Lion. It isn't going to fix your hard drive, although it might help. It isn't going to make incompatible software you restore, migrate or copy somehow begin to work with Lion. It isn't going to fix all your permission problems. It's the installing equivalent of shutting down and restarting, or pulling the plug. And most people do it needlessly; most of us did the normal Lion install with no problems. And you should at least TRY that first before going to all the trouble of erasing your boot drive.

Face it, sometimes you have to do some hard work to debug your installation to figure what's wrong. Maybe you got lucky in that the installation process you used fixed some problem you have, but that's sorta like saying the chicken soup cured your cold about ten days later. :rolleyes:

25. Snowguy macrumors member

I just wanted to chime in that I've been nothing but pleased with Lion. I run a mid 2007 20" 2.4GHz C2D iMac with 4GB RAM and an upgraded 500GB hdd. No freezes....no beach balls...no ghost of Gil Amelio haunting my screen... Just what I've come to expect from apple... Quality.