Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
good for you. i currently have been smoking for 4.5 years and i plan on continuing. but again i applaud your determination. please do give us updates. when i finally decide to quit it may be useful to refer to your postings.

May I ask why you plan on continuing?

Also, sunflower seeds are absolutely perfect for when you get that craving. Try it!

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
I just recently gave it up too, one month from this coming Sunday. I smoked almost 2 packs a day, and I enjoyed it to be honest. But I knew that I had to cut it because they do nothing good for your body. Its been hard at times, and I have wanted to light up one, but I wont.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Good luck and congrats on the progress so far. Never smoked so I can't offer any tidbits of advice, but fingers crossed for you and glad to hear that (irritability aside ;)) you're feeling better already.
:)

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I smoke on a night out when I'm drinking. It's pretty common.

I know, I do a similar thing, it's just I think that you either are a smoker, or you aren't. Being addicted is something entirely different. If you are a smoker, then you smoke, regardless of how often. If you aren't a smoker, you don't smoke at all.

Keep going OP, you're doing great so far :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I smoke on a night out when I'm drinking. It's pretty common.

A friend of mine got hooked on smoking just by doing that. I don't even know how many times he's given up (I mean giving up for months/years) but he always goes back. I don't know if that means he has an iron clad will or the total opposite.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
A friend of mine got hooked on smoking just by doing that. I don't even know how many times he's given up (I mean giving up for months/years) but he always goes back. I don't know if that means he has an iron clad will or the total opposite.

I know what you mean, a friend of mine who also used to only smoke on nights out now smokes regularly. To be honest I don't do it that often. Sums up to maybe 3/4 a fortnight.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
I made it through the one week mark today! The super bad cravings had SOMEWHAT gotten better... although yesterday was just a very off day at work. Not much was going right, in fact a lot of things were just... difficult for myself and a lot of people at work. I had a lot of time pressures, and the anxiety got really bad to the point that my palms were sweating (I haven't had sweaty palms in at least 7 or 8 years), I couldn't stand still, was pacing when I was standing up. The only thing I could think about was a cigarette. I took several deep breaths, walked outside for some fresh air, and chewed some gum.

After work I decided to get dinner with my friend. We got Thai food, which for me at least, I've always really wanted a cigarette after spicy food. It also didn't help that I had 2 beers with the dinner, but it was more of a self challenge to see how I coped with drinking and eating. I'm doing much better.

I've really enjoyed going to the gym and running again. I just discovered a mini gym at work which has a treadmill, so I'm going to start running on it during my lunch break.

I won't be updating this as much since I've made it for a week, I might revive it after a month, or maybe even when something comes up that I feel like I might slip, and I come on here to rant instead. I'll reply to any questions if they come up. I really want to thank every single one of you for the kind words and support because honestly, every little bit helps. For anyone thinking about quitting: It's definitely not easy, nobody ever said it would be, but it's very very doable. It doesn't feel like it'll be doable, but I always try to look ahead. When it gets tempting, I just keep reminding myself that nicotine is a drug, and I'm not going to let any drug control me, no matter how much I enjoyed smoking, or still find the smell of cigarette smoke to be pleasant.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Deciding to quit today and hopefully for good. I have never really been a heavy smoker but as of late (I'm 23) I have gone from only smoking while drinking to smoking when I wake up in the morning to now buying packs and smoking throughout the day and night, even sober. :(

I know the health risks and that is the main reason I want to quit, however, without intentionally insulting anyone, I got my smell back for a bit today and took a wiff of my hair after smoking last night and wow! Gross.

Anyway I am going to use this as a mini-journal to track my progress and most likely rant and rave. If I ask one of you for a cig though please decline. :D

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I never understood why anyone would want to smoke cigarettes. It's a disgusting habit that ended up killing my mother. It's a good thing to quit while you're still young and healthy.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
My mothers parents smoke and drink. And my mother used to but as soon as she tried to have kids she quit cold turkey. Most of my close friends smoke too. With the exception of 2 or 3. And my brother smokes cigars and pretty sure cigarettes and weed. Not the best environment for me I know. The worst part is that my best friend was in the same place I am now. Most of his family and friends smoke. Now he is one of them :(.

Hopefully I don't get sucked in...

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
Deciding to quit today and hopefully for good. I have never really been a heavy smoker but as of late (I'm 23) I have gone from only smoking while drinking to smoking when I wake up in the morning to now buying packs and smoking throughout the day and night, even sober. :(

I know the health risks and that is the main reason I want to quit, however, without intentionally insulting anyone, I got my smell back for a bit today and took a wiff of my hair after smoking last night and wow! Gross.

Anyway I am going to use this as a mini-journal to track my progress and most likely rant and rave. If I ask one of you for a cig though please decline. :D

Good luck to you! I've made it this far and am feeling great! I know exactly how easy it is to go from a 'social smoker' to a full time smoker. It's nice to be able to smell your hair, jackets, shirts and not smell the smoke from last night. I actually don't mind the smell, but I know my girlfriend and other non smoking friends appreciate it. I'd recommend laying off heavy drinking or triggers for smoking such as coffee for a few days to a week. After the first week you won't crave them as much. You'll still crave a cigarette but not necessarily because of the drinks. I hope to hear your progress on here, it's almost been 3 months for me and I hope to see you successful as well!

I quit smoking May 16, haven't had a smoke since. I smoked on and off for aboot 15 years. I don't even have any cravings, not even when I'm drunk. :cool:

Congratulations and keep up the good work! It seemed impossible to imagine the idea of not having cravings, now it seems ridiculous to have been addicted to one substance for so long.

I never understood why anyone would want to smoke cigarettes. It's a disgusting habit that ended up killing my mother. It's a good thing to quit while you're still young and healthy.

It's not something non-smokers will ever understand (and hopefully you never will have to start, just to try to understand). Smokers know that what they do isn't healthy, but it definitely is good to quit sooner rather than later!

My mothers parents smoke and drink. And my mother used to but as soon as she tried to have kids she quit cold turkey. Most of my close friends smoke too. With the exception of 2 or 3. And my brother smokes cigars and pretty sure cigarettes and weed. Not the best environment for me I know. The worst part is that my best friend was in the same place I am now. Most of his family and friends smoke. Now he is one of them :(.

Hopefully I don't get sucked in...

Most of my friends and social groups smoke. At first it was hard to hang out with them, now it's not a problem. Trust me when I say it's not worth it, not even taking experimental drags off of other friends' cigarettes. That's how a lot of it starts, a few drags here and there, then bumming a cigarette when you're having a drink with friends, then buying your own pack because you bum too much, then just smoking them full time because they just happen to be with you all the time. You can still be best friends with your friend and not smoke.
It's a hell of a lot harder to quit smoking than it is to start, and it's very easy to accidentally start; before you know it, you're a regular smoker. Good luck to you!

***UPDATE***
It's getting close to the 3 month mark for me, and I haven't gotten back into smoking. I will admit this though, about the 2 month mark I was sober, with my friend that smokes and I wanted to have a drag off of his cigarette. I wasn't craving any cigarette that day, I wasn't drinking and I didn't have any coffee. For me, it was more of a reenforcement in my mind that I didn't enjoy a cigarette anymore. I didn't enjoy the inhale, I didn't get the nicotine high that I thought I might get, I immediately felt dirty in my lungs. I am glad that I did that however because it made me not want to smoke even more, and to be reinforced in my mind of my decision. I don't recommend other people just having a cigarette because "you're not a smoker anymore".

Besides that one drag, I've still been entirely smoke free. I'm very comfortable hanging around everyone else that smokes, I can make my dinner and have drinks without wanting a cigarette. I'm been getting back into running (slowly) and I'm going to be fixing my cheap roadbike up. I finally got my own apartment (no roommates) in San Diego, cut off all my hair (had long hair, I found it to be annoying to run or bike with long hair) and have been very much enjoying life smoke free. It's been really nice to have an extra $150+ / month in cash since I'm not buying packs of smokes anymore. I wish everyone that reads this the best of luck in your smoke free endeavors (you're trying to quit) and if you need any support or have questions feel free to post here or PM me.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
Haven't read the whole thread but I quit cold turkey about 4 years ago. Very hard to do but I did it. Although at work about once a month I've been bumming one from my kind co-workers that don't seem to mind. Been very stressed lately and seem to drink way too much. Anyway, good luck to you. It's not easy, but doable.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
It has been 5 months and 4 days since I have had a cigarette. I have however, had a drag from a friends cigarette and almost threw up. My mouth tasted really bad for about 20 minutes after that drag and my lungs kind of hurt as well. Quitting cold turkey was pretty easy for me even after smoking for 15 years. Congrats on not being a smoker anymore! Keep up the good work!

dagtag

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Brooklyn
Wow I really applaud you for quitting cold turkey. I've been smoking for 6-7 years now and I tried to quit a few times, but I had terrible withdrawal symptoms (ie. extremely irritable, anxious, tense, terrible headaches, and insomnia) I made it about a week before I just broke and started smoking again. I kinda regret not just sticking with quitting when I did about 4 years ago. I managed to cut down from a pack a day to about 5-6 a day so far. I think I'll quit after this next pack I have lying around.

I hope I do as well as you seem to be doing. Wish me luck!

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

I would say the majority of smokers are quite aware of the risks and dangers associated with smoking. In my opinion, the only thing anyone can judge on is the initial decision to smoke a cigarette. After that, people become chemically and mentally dependent and the ability to quit is beyond the simple power of one's will. I have never smoked, but my mom is a lifetime smoker. I have seen her struggle with quitting and it is rather depressing for her at times. One thing is for sure, telling them how stupid it is never works. People need to make a decision to quit on their own and then loved ones and friends to support them.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
I would say the majority of smokers are quite aware of the risks and dangers associated with smoking. In my opinion, the only thing anyone can judge on is the initial decision to smoke a cigarette. After that, people become chemically and mentally dependent and the ability to quit is beyond the simple power of one's will. I have never smoked, but my mom is a lifetime smoker. I have seen her struggle with quitting and it is rather depressing for her at times. One thing is for sure, telling them how stupid it is never works. People need to make a decision to quit on their own and then loved ones and friends to support them.

Very well said. Why did one start is a question one has to ask oneself. This might lead to quiting.

Beyond that it's the intentions of the cigarette companies that flaunt the addicting properties for money without concern of the health outcome to the public that needs to be questioned.

Not nearly as criminal as the cigarette companies but still associated is the entertainment industry for telling us how cool it is to smoke for decades, almost a century. Humfrey Bogart and John Wayne. Although it has gotten better.

Which leads us back to why someone starts. If a smoker remembers, your first number of cigarettes sucked. I know. I couldn't believe how bad it tasted but yet I continued. I had to, the people I was with were cool and they were smoking. Sheesh!

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
On a side note, I just saw a commercial for what I believe was nicorette gum where a man was sitting on a pier and a shark was biting his arm. He was then saying to himself cigarette cigarette cigarette. Pops a piece of nicorette gum and the craving stopped. But then he was like, "OMG A SHARK!!1!" I found this commercial hilarious.

Maybe the gum would even help?

I see a lot of stop smoking commercials early in the morning while having coffee and surfing MR before work. This is the first one that is really pointed at the human component of what it's like to be addicted. Better than most of the others just saying quit, we can help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.